MRI Scan

cancan
cancan Member Posts: 43
edited 30. Mar 2009, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just been informed that I have to have an MRI scan before I can have an operation on my abcess wound (which is still ongoing after nearly one whole year) Not looking forward to it at all. Does anyone know how long it takes for results to get back.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ooh cancan that sounds like it really needs sorting.
    I think when I had my MRI it was about 2 weeks, but I reckon if your consultant wants it quicker it can probably be done quicker. Might vary according to the area you live inthough?
    Good luck!
    Toni x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Cancan

If I remember rightly it's around 10 days for results to get to your GP, long time since I had one. I think they are a bit quicker to your consultant if they are in the same hospital. They will tell you when you have your scan.

Love
    Vonski x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    I didn't get my diagnosis with the Consultant to discuss my MRI until almost 3 months later but a week after my MRI my GP was able to view it on the computer and the report of it. She told me what was on it.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I think a lot depends on your Doctor or Consultant and how much they push it. I got my MRI results almost immediately but my Mother-in-law (who is at the same surgery) didn't"pester" them and it took in excess of 6 weeks. So I pushed my Doctor, she pushed the hospital and hey presto! M-i-law didn't so they took their time.
    As a nation on the whole we have a great health service (oh that's a bit controversial!!!) but sometimes ilike a rusty nut it just needs a little persuasion!!
  • cancan
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I haven't had one before, its the clostrophobia[spelling] and the noise I am told that is the worst. So I am not looking forward to it.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Cancan

It's not too bad, just close your eyes, that's even better. They normally give you a choice of music to help drown the noise out.

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I've had an MRI, its not too bad. A bit noisy but thats all. I thought the time would go really slowly but it didn't. The only silly thing was I left my watch on and when I came out it had gone mad. I thought it had had it, but it only zapped the battery, which was very lucky!!! :oops: :) . Love Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi cancan
    When I had an MTI scan, I got the results after two weeks. One thing I found was that it was quite cold and draughty in the tunnel. I'm not sure whether this is typical of MRI scanning machines, but I was glad I was wearing something warm because you have to keep very still. Of course, you can't wear anything with metal on it. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it didn't bother me too much.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • eckstardeluxe
    Yep they give you music and a range of choices. I had the sixties and Good Vibrations came on, one of my all time top 10 tunes. I was lying in that washing machine with my legs up on a pillow trying to sing like Brian Wilson! :lol: I don't remember it being a little claustrophobic when I was younger I just assumed it was because carrying a weight advantage now I was nearer the roof ha ha, it's not too bad though, honestly.
  • cancan
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi cancan
    When I had an MTI scan, I got the results after two weeks. One thing I found was that it was quite cold and draughty in the tunnel. I'm not sure whether this is typical of MRI scanning machines, but I was glad I was wearing something warm because you have to keep very still. Of course, you can't wear anything with metal on it. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it didn't bother me too much.

Joan
    Can you wear clothes? I thought you had to undress, what about metal bits on bras etc.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Cancan
    I wore a sports bra and plastic zips. :) My results took for ever but I didn't want the results and never chased them up at all. Take care
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi again, I wore a Hospital issue gown and nothing else. But they took me down for the scan in a wheelchair.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    It was fine, quite peaceful really. They play music for you, I ended up with Clannad after asking for something classical. Sure it will all be ok - best wishes
  • cancan
    Just one more question, The keeping still bit, my scan is for the hip area, as long as this is still will I be able to move my head or hands for instance? I cannot imagine keeping my whole body still for that length of time. I will get so many aches.
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi Cancan, yes you have to stay totally still. But I told them before hand when I lie on my back my sciatica is unbearable so they told me they would do little bursts of scans, one for five minutes then a break then another and so on. They are very understanding and tell you to call out if you need to stop. good luck x