How do you change the tax

Options
weetabix
weetabix Member Posts: 43
edited 29. Mar 2009, 00:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
my husbands bike is broken and will cost too much to keep geting repaird. so seeing as i get exempt tax on my car I think we will need to change it and pay for tax. As he wants to use the car for work now.
How do i go about this please..

weetabix

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think you contact your local council to advise the car is being mainly used for himself now and not for carriage of the disabled person. If you google blue badge and your area, it should bring a contact number up for you to call and get advise first before changing anything.
  • weetabix
    Options
    i did the google thing and it doesnt tell you how to change the tax class. but i did go on the vechile license site and i think i have to just apply for a new tax disc.. i didnt think it was that simple. perhaps its not i'll have to ring them..

weetabix
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    No I don't think it tells you how to change the class weetabix, I think it just brings contact details up. But ensure you ask advice first.
  • weetabix
    Options
    What kind of advice should I ask them. I know that he is allowed to use it for shopping for me and getting prescriptions. but I don't think he is allowed to go to work in it. He works nights and I don't go out at night.
    Weetabix
  • colinb
    colinb Member Posts: 66
    Options
    i may be wrong here, but i think that as long as the car is being used to cover all your needs, it doesnt matter.
    it would be the DVLA you would need to contact for specific advice, and also to change the taxation class if that proves necessary. you cant do the change at post office etc, but you can at any renewal time by going to a local DVLA office, if there is one close enough.
    Colin
  • eckstardeluxe
    Options
    Yes, Colin is right. I don't think it matters if he drives it to work as long as you don't miss out. As long as you are being taken care of with everything you need that's all that matters. Ask them this first to make sure before changing anything.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    As long as the car is primarily for your use, it does not mater who drives it. As your husband is also your carer I would expect he would be able to use it to go to and from work.
    I had problems finding an answer to a question and when I phoned DVLA felt I was non the wiser. I emailed them from the contact box on the DVLA page, my query was regarding driving with my splints on. I then got a letter back from them stating I could. I feel much better having this to prove I have permission, I am sure you would feel safer if you had your answer in writing too. Linda
  • tuppence
    tuppence Member Posts: 19
    Options
    my partner uses my car to get back and forth etc ....i asked motability and they said this was fine as long as I wasnt missing out ....though it did say in the handbook i got that this wasnt allowed .....lol,I think sometimes they make the rules up as they go along and see fit !!!!

give them a call ...good luck x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    If it where me i would do nothing but then i'v always been a bit of a rebel. The rules are
    First of all is your log book stamped dissabled
    if it is you cant just retax your car the log book needs to be sent back as well. Cars with free tax exemption for the dissabled shoul only be used for the the purpose of the disabled person.
    Example If i take my dads exemption and tax my car with it and you can as long as you declair that the car is being used for him. If i use it for my own personal needs, going to work, shops genral running around i think it may be againt the law but you can phone DVLA and ask them what the law is regarding the tax. Take care by the way are you joining us on the 8th April if you can make it please let Badger know
    Colin
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 28. Mar 2009, 17:56
    Options
    The direct.gov website has the info:

To claim exemption from vehicle tax, the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee).

The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions.

If it is being used by the nominee or someone else for their own personal needs, then the exemption will be lost and the normal rate of vehicle tax must be paid.

If you sell the vehicle or your entitlement ends, you should return the disabled tax disc to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Swansea SA99 1AL or your nearest DVLA local office.

If you no longer qualify for vehicle tax exemption, you will need to tax your car in the appropriate tax class and pay the correct rate of vehicle tax.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/MotoringAndTransport/Yourvehicleandlicence/DG_10028003

b010.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Nearly forgot about the Blue Badge. Nothing to do with tax exempt vehicles.

The Blue Badge is assigned to you not any specific vehicle. But some council car parks only give disabled parking concessions for a Blue Badge plus DVLA tax exemption. Check the signs. p075.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • weetabix
    Options
    Oh well it sounds from the last post that he isn't allowed . i might ring them and tell them of our circumstances. and as he works nights they may say its ok, as if i was to have an accident in the night he could get home quicker. otherwise its a taxi or the bus or walk.. I could be dead by then!!

its not a motability car either he pays for most of it as my allowance doesn't cover it all. we needed a family car, and cant afford two cars.I don't see the problem but then again you all know what they are like!

I have been reported once saying I was horse riding when I was only taking my grandaughter to her pony.. I still do, some people have nothing better to do but try to make disabled peoples lives even more miserable..

but i will def ring them on Monday

thanks for all replies

Weetabix
  • julies
    julies Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I was told by welfare rights that it was ok for my husband to use the car for work as basically he was working to support my son and hence it was for his benefit. :?