Good News?

eckstardeluxe
eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
edited 28. Mar 2009, 09:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Folks

Remember I told you the Dr called me fat and said my body was like a circus dwarve's?

Well because I was so angry at the very cheeky apology that cared more about denying I had MRSA than being called fat, some of you may know I decided to go to a Solicitor about a medical negligence case over 21 years old. There is a 3 year statute but it can be overrided in exceptional circumstances.

Just wanted to let you all know, I just had my letter back from the Solictor this morning after sending them my story and copies of some of my medical notes. They want to proceed and think I have a case!!!! In case anyone's out there with secondary arthritis due to trauma, they said because I was never warned or informed I'd get arthur and was never monitored after my childhood illness or sent for follow up scans etc they have acted negligently. Going to try and prove also the condition was caused by MRSA. Because it wasn't called MRSA in 1988 there is a question mark there but they say they have experts waiting to get started!

I just keep thinking now what have I done and wondering if I'm opening a pandora's box here. But a bit of excitement too! thanks everyone for all your support, I wouldn't have had the courage to do it if it hadn't been for all the support.

xxxx

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I`m glad you have taken the plunge and started the ball rolling. (any more cliches I could add? :shock: )
    It will be good for you to know the full story behind your problems, and whythey happened. It will feel a bit scary for a while but you have got legal support and advice, so keep going. And of course we are here too!
    Nicola
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Well done to you, perhaps if more people acted we would have a lot less negligence claims.

debs
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Brilliant news Eckstar - you keep going with it - too many people sit in silence when they've been treated badly.

k010.gif

Good luck.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    well done for fighting & not just letting the system get you.
    ive just told my o/h what uv posted.
    ive got secondary oa & been told it was due to trauma from motorcycle accident 25 yrs ago then agrivated by physical job.
    i was paid compension by the car driver & told i couldnt claim for problems later in life.
    but like you i never got told by surgeons that i could end up like this.i was just discharged from hospital after the operations,with just a couple of check ups. that was in 1984.
    may seek advice on that 1.
    thanx & good luck, debsx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi

Well done you, I remember very well what this consultant said and couldn't believe his cheek. Hope you get the right result, fingers crossed :):)

Mash
    I'm similar to you, if you decide to try let me know how you get on.

Love
    Vonski x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Eckstar!!
    WoW!!
    You are very very brave!!!
    I understand your trepidation (have I opened a Pandora's box?), it is always scary taking on the 'Big' people.
    But you do it - for all us 'little' people!
    Right behind you
    Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Eckstar :D

You will feel victorious in the end whatever the outcome but it must be positive - you deserve that, big time. :D:D

Keep us posted.

Power to you!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Eckstar :D

You will feel victorious in the end whatever the outcome but it must be positive - you deserve that, big time. :D:D

Keep us posted.

Power to you!

Luv
    Elna x

Hi Eckstar
    Good for you, will be rooting for you! It made me furious when i heard what the consultant called you. Sometimes i am astounded
    at the way 'professionals ' behave! However in all my years working in the health service i met very few who were so insensitive!

Go for it girl :D

Gillx
  • eckstardeluxe
    mash65 wrote:
    well done for fighting & not just letting the system get you.
    ive just told my o/h what uv posted.
    ive got secondary oa & been told it was due to trauma from motorcycle accident 25 yrs ago then agrivated by physical job.
    i was paid compension by the car driver & told i couldnt claim for problems later in life.
    but like you i never got told by surgeons that i could end up like this.i was just discharged from hospital after the operations,with just a couple of check ups. that was in 1984.
    may seek advice on that 1.
    thanx & good luck, debsx

Hi Debs I would seek advice. The solicitor was actually more concerned about the fact I hadn't been warned than the MRSA which surprised me. Seriously, when I said they'd never told me, the solicitor was all over it like a rash. The reply from them says -

I do however consider the arthritis diagnosis part of your claim well worth investigating in that you appear not to have been made aware arthritis was a potential consequence of your Osteomyelitis. Also the fact you were not monitored for this condition gives serious rise to questions.

I hope that helps you.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Well done you!! It is time they were held accountable, as for the comments made about you...these are a complete disgrace.
    I bet lots of the medical fraternity are wetting their pant at the prospect of so many folk getting access to their medical notes.
    Keep us posted we are behind you win or fail, you have great courage give yourself a big hug from me. Linda
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Good work! I know, in the past I held back from a negligence case as I just didn't feel strong enough, but now I wish I'd done something, but its too late now. (Nothing to do with arthritis, I was sent home with peritonitis, dignosed as constipation and nearly died. ) Maybe the system would be better if more people stood up to medics, and not just put up with things, like I did.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!! :D Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    woodbon wrote:
    Good work! I know, in the past I held back from a negligence case as I just didn't feel strong enough, but now I wish I'd done something, but its too late now. (Nothing to do with arthritis, I was sent home with peritonitis, dignosed as constipation and nearly died. ) Maybe the system would be better if more people stood up to medics, and not just put up with things, like I did.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!!!! :D Love Sue

Hi Sue, bearing in mind what's already been posted, if you should ever have any symptoms relating to your previous condition, they can override the statute. I knew there would be someone out there who had never been warned and that's why I posted. I did say I had worries but even just to hear my story will maybe help others to go and get advice has made it worthwhile already xx I should add the first part of my claim they can't look at is how they didn't listen to my Mum for 5 years and I ended up having my ureters removed and reimplanted and suffered permanent damage to both kidneys, they said I could have done something about that by age 19. My folks are on holiday in Nashville just now and I'm dreading telling them that part, I know my Mum is going to feel awful because she always says she wished she's spoke up. I hope though she will feel better knowing we can maybe sort out the arthritis part. thanks again for your messages everyone. You really don't know how much it means to me. xxxx