scared to start enbrel

karen1
karen1 Member Posts: 9
edited 5. Apr 2009, 13:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,im new to this site,iv'e had RA for about 4yrs now,it was brought on by having my son!!!.My RA nurse has tried me on metho,sulfa and arava,none of which worked for me.so at the mo im relying on prednisolone,co-codamol and voltarol.I have 2 questions really the first one is has anyone taking prednisolone had breathing problems and a really bloated stomach,the second question is,is anyone on enbrel.Im not very good with needles,wondered if anyone was the same and have some advice for me,and how have you found it,has it worked for them?.I know it is very expensive so it must be good right?!!!.My Ra nurse won't put me on enbrel until my breathing is sorted out,so having quite a few tests at the mo.many thanks karen

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Karen

Sorry I can't really answer your questions but just want to welcome you to the forum.

One thing about the bloated stomach though, have you been prescribed any meds to protect your stomach? Most people on here have. I have lansoprazole but I know there are others.

People will be here soon to answer I'm sure :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Karen, first of all a warm welcome to you I have been on and off Prednisolone for the past few years at the moment i'm on 20mg a day, Prednisolone has many side effects but that doeset mean we all get them. I have and still suffering some side effects but live with it because i'm in to much pain if i dont take the drug. feeling short of breath, nausea, stomach pain, bloating and increased sweating. The feeling short of breath is a feeling rather that happening to me i just feel like i am short of breath, i done all the breathing tests a couple of weeks ago and all is well. Because of the tummuy problems that Prefnisolone can cause you need to take some medication to protect your tummy somethoing like Losec but your doctor should prescribe this sort of thing when you start Prednisolone so have a chat with GP. I have been on Enbrel for some time now but going through a break from it as i had a chest infection i could not get rid of. Hope to go back on the Enbrel in a week or two. as it was working ok. Now the injections A huge dissapointment for you, the needle is very small and you hardly feel a thing, if you take it slow when you inject you can hardly feel it the whole thing takes about 10 or 15 seconds. A nurse from Enbrel home care comes out and shows you how to do the injections and she will call as offten as you need her or untill your able to inject. You can use the thighs, or tummy i just stick with the thighs, but you will be fine. The enbrel is sent direct to you and you keep it in the fridge use it once a week, if at the end of the day you can't do the injections you can take it to the clinic and the nurse will do it for you. at first i was scared and after doing a couple i decided to go to the clinic i had to wait 2 hours so done it myself from then on. Take care and hope to see you round the site.
    Colin
  • karen1
    HI, thanks for your replies, i have now just recently been put on omeprazole,so hopefully they will sort the bloating and shortness of breath out.

_ colin,my RA nurse has told me that the enbrel has to be injected twice aweek,she never told me that a enbrel nurse could come out.basicly she said that "if i want to start the new treatment then i should get over the needle thing,and get on with it".Not really what i needed to hear!!.
    many thanks karen
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    karen1 wrote:
    HI, thanks for your replies, i have now just recently been put on omeprazole,so hopefully they will sort the bloating and shortness of breath out.

_ colin,my RA nurse has told me that the enbrel has to be injected twice aweek,she never told me that a enbrel nurse could come out.basicly she said that "if i want to start the new treatment then i should get over the needle thing,and get on with it".Not really what i needed to hear!!.
    many thanks karen

Hi Karen
    2 things perhaps they will give you 2 shots 25mg a week to slowley build it up in your system but you could ask can you take the 50mg in one shot, depends on the dose you are going to start on.
    As far as i am aware Enbrel home care will not release the drug to you unless you have been visited at home by their nurse, she has a good long chat with you about the drug and yourself just to check all is well prior to starting the drug. She becomes you primary nurse with enbrel and will leave you her contact number along with others should you need to contact them. She will then teach you to inject.
    make a list of all your concerns and talk to her they are really nice.

Have you had any paperwork on the Enbrel yet, If not get your reading head on because there is tons of it and you also have to sign a consent form to take it. You are issued with a card you have to carry because it reduces your imune system but most arthritis drugs do that anyway. Take care i know its all a woory but try to take it all in your stride.
    Colin
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    No answer to your questions, as I have OA. Just to say welcome to the site, I'm sure you'll get the information you need from people here! :D .Love Sue
  • karen1
    Hi colin, im not sure what the dosage will be yet,.Glad to hear about the enbrel nurse coming round,i wonder if that depends on what area we live in?as nothing like that was mentioned to me.I have to go back and see RA nurse in may so am going to have a good chat with her.Pretty scarey stuff if you have to sign a consent form ah.!!
    Thanks for your insight colin.
    Take care for now
    karen
  • anniek
    anniek Member Posts: 39
    Hi Karen ,Iv been on enbrel for a few years now and its worked well for me ,my nurse at the rheumy clinic taught me to inject the enbrel ,Im sure once you speak to her you will feel a bit better about it all ,new things are always a bit scarey :)
  • joytotten
    joytotten Member Posts: 14
    Hi Karen

I have just started Enbrel and will have my 3rd injection on Wednesday. I have no problems with needles but when it came to having to inject myself I was a bit worried but I had nothing to worry about it is easy and painless. Best thing I found to do is not think about it and just do it.

All the best.