folic acid and methrotrexate

wiltshiregirl
wiltshiregirl Member Posts: 8
edited 13. Apr 2009, 19:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, do you know if I can take my dose of methrotrexate tonight.as I think I have, by mistake taken a folic acid tablet this morning? Any advise would be appriciated.

Comments

• mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, do you know if I can take my dose of methrotrexate tonight.as I have, by mistake taken a folic acid tablet this morning? Any advise would be appriciated.

Hi Wiltshiregirl
    i believe that folic acid is to protect against some of the side effects of mxt so best not taken on the same day as it may reduce the efficacy of mxt. I don't know if you are able to take your mxt tomorrow instead. If you know that you can take it a day late then it may be better to do that. if unsure about taking it late then contacting NHS direct or maybe someone on the helpline here would be sensible

Gill
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi wiltshiregirl
    I was told do not take it on the same day if you just give the GP a ring they will tell you if its safe or not. just ask to speak to one of the doctors.
    Colin
  • wiltshiregirl
    wiltshiregirl Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your quick responses. My GP surgery is closed now. Ive posted on the helpline forum. The problem is I think ive taken the Folic acid tablet this morning, but Im not sure...
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    It's no big deal.
    Take the methotrexate tomorrow and recommence
    the folic acid on the next day. One day's alteration
    to your schedule should not make any significant
    difference to your condition.
  • munglebungle
    munglebungle Member Posts: 30
    Hi, do you know if I can take my dose of methrotrexate tonight.as I think I have, by mistake taken a folic acid tablet this morning? Any advise would be appriciated.

Sorry nothing to do with your question but;

I thought i was reading my own profile when i read yours, 44, lives in Wiltshire, no children and a receptionist. Wow there must be two of us.

Where in Wiltshire are you?

My profile is exactly the same and i was diagnosed with RA in 2008.

Regards

Tracy
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632

I was counselled only last week about MTX and the nurse actually told me to take my Folic Acid tablet every day at breakfast.
    Then have my MTX at teatime - as there were several hours in between she said it would make no difference and also meant I wouldn't have to worry about leaving the folic acid off on one day every week!

Jackiex
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Hi Jackie

Just a thought. Have you considered that if you take your MTX at teatime, then your next folic acid at breakfast next day, you only get 14 hours help, rather than the 24 hours which is normal.
    p050.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi Joseph,

Oh! Now I'm really confused :( because surely the nurse would be advising me how to take the drugs to give the optimum effect!

I will ask when I go back this week :?

Jackie x
  • brian35
    brian35 Member Posts: 58
    I was advised to take methotrexate on a Wednesday evening and folic acid on a Sunday morning i.e halfway between the next MTX dose.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi Joseph,

Oh! Now I'm really confused :( because surely the nurse would be advising me how to take the drugs to give the optimum effect!

I will ask when I go back this week :?

Jackie x
    Hi Jackie

Googling sites, I found several reports that stated there seems to be as many combinations as there are Rheumy Departments. So, the whole system, including you and I, are confused. I would therefore suggest that you follow what you are told when you go back this week.
    c090.gif

I have found a leaflet at www.npsa.nhs.uk/EasySiteWeb/GatewayLink.aspx?alId=1582 which may or probably not help.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif