Long term effect and med?

liftthelid
liftthelid Member Posts: 2
edited 10. Jun 2010, 14:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. My name is Tina. I was just recently diagnosed of having rheumatoid arthritis. I was prescribed ultram for the pain relief. So far, it's helped me get some good sleep at night. Now, I just want to know if you guys know of any known ultram long-term effects to the body? Is it addicting? Thanks for the info.

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tina

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't answer your question, just wanted to say hi. We are a bit like buses, you wait and 3 come at once, or more. You will get lots of help :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Tina and welcome from me!
    Isn't ultram tramadol by a different name??
    I was on that for a while just before and after my back op. I think it has an opiate effect which sends you a bit out of your tree. I think with all of those type of painkiller you can get dependant on them, which is why I came off it as soon as I could! I have an addictive personality :oops:
    Are you on any other meds like NSAIDs or DMARDs too? Or amitriptilyne to help you sleep?
    I know it was a good med for me at the time and nothing else touched the pain when I was on it.
    If you're worried you should have a talk to you GP or rheumy.
    Sorry i can't be more help - probably others can help more
    Anyway it's nice to meet you!
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Tina,

Wow what a user name 'liftthelid' - I'd love to know why some of use chose the names we have................anyway sorry can't answer your question but would like to say Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you've found us.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    Hi Tina,

Just wanted to say Hi too. Sorry, I've not heard of the drug either but if it is Tramadol under a different name I also ejoyed the 'out of my tree' experiences! I only took it for a few days but didn't like it.

I've had RA for a long time but went onto Methotrexate about 3 years ago. It's worked for me although I know some forum users had problems with it. Maybe your Doctor will reassess once your pain is under control. It is usual to be on an anti inflammatory drug too but perhaps yours does both?

Hope you start to feel better soon, hang in there. Some positive thinking or applying NLP techniques can help (not as hippy dippy as it sounds honest!).

All the best. :D

x
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Hi Tina
    You will find a wealth of information on this site, there will always be someone who can help. If it is tramadol I take that and it does nothing for me, still waiting for the out of tree effect, mind you I've probably been out of it for years anyway so wouldn't notice the effects of Tramadol. :lol:

Welcome to the site.

Just for the record my screen name is just part of my first name and part of my second one.

Rita X
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Tina

Welcome to the forum. As Toni says ultram is tramadol and you should not take ultram if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • othersideofyou
    othersideofyou Member Posts: 1
    liftthelid wrote:
    Hello. My name is Tina. I was just recently diagnosed of having rheumatoid arthritis. I was prescribed ultram for the pain relief. So far, it's helped me get some good sleep at night. Now, I just want to know if you guys know of any known ultram long-term effects to the body? Is it addicting? Thanks for the info.

Hi, Tina. My name is Cecile. I've been on tramadol/ultram for like 3 years and yes, it is habit-forming. But only if not used correctly. In my case, I was able to easily get off it because my use was monitored by myself and my doctor. So make sure that you monitor your intake of tramadol together with your doctor and you should be fine. Hope this helps. :D
  • haagan
    haagan Member Posts: 84
    Hi Tina
    Welcome to the site. I've been on Tramadol SR for about five years, you get use to it, only get the out of tree experience when as like now I have to top up with Solpadol. Spellcheck is working overtime! At work it is taken as read that if they don't see me write it down it probably won't happen, as I have said before I have very understanding employers. As the others have said we all react differently to medications, anything is worth trying to see if it helps. Good luck. Fay
    Haagan was the name of one of my cats who was named after a certain luxury ice cream!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Tina, I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forum, my name comes from my cat as I am cat mad, I have RA which I have had for about 14 years now, I am currently on Tramadol tablets I can't ever say that I have had problems with them, anti-inflamatories such as Diclofenic and Ibruprofen had bad effects on your stomach, that is way I won't take them unless I am desperate love Jaspercatxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 10. Jun 2010, 12:45
    Sorry to hijack this post........... but my posting name comes from when I had my knees replaced at the same time and on emails etc I signed myself as 'Linda straight legs S**** and a friend I was corresponding with said it was much too long and she preferred LindaLegs and now I'm just Legs for short :wink:

Luv Legs :lol::lol:

PS I probably transfer this to the Chit-Chat Forum
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • technex
    technex Member Posts: 1
    I am on my operated knee pain also take tramadol. With a few painkillers tested best was Tramadol.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Technex

Like the name!!

I had tramadol post and pre back op. It is really good isnt it if used properly.

Hope your recovery is going ok?

Love and welcome

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi and welcome from me too! Sorry about your RA diagnosis. I have had RA for 14 years (since I was twenty eight) but I can still remember how it felt to get the diagnosis. I can't help as I haven't taken this drug - but hopefully if you have active RA you are seeing a rheumatologist who can look at how to manage the inflammation, rather than just treating the pain. Love Tilly x