Rheumatoid Factor

bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 1. Apr 2009, 03:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Just wondering what was a normal Rheumatoid Fator reading???

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I, too, would like to know this one so I'll be watching for answers on your post Bailey.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bailey27
    HI
    Found the answer on the net.

This is what I found!

The normal range for rheumatoid factor is less than 20 (this is dependent on the laboratory). The following disorders are associated with an elevated rheumatoid factor:

Rheumatoid arthritis � 26 to 90 percent

Sj�gren's syndrome � 75 to 95 percent

Mixed connective tissue disease � 50 to 60 percent

Mixed cryoglobulinemia (types II and III) � 40 to 100 percent

Systemic lupus erythematosus � 15 to 35 percent

Polymyositis/dermatomyositis � five to 10 percent
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    bailey27 wrote:
    HI
    Found the answer on the net.

This is what I found!

The normal range for rheumatoid factor is less than 20 (this is dependent on the laboratory). The following disorders are associated with an elevated rheumatoid factor:

Rheumatoid arthritis � 26 to 90 percent

Sj�gren's syndrome � 75 to 95 percent

Mixed connective tissue disease � 50 to 60 percent

Mixed cryoglobulinemia (types II and III) � 40 to 100 percent

Systemic lupus erythematosus � 15 to 35 percent

Polymyositis/dermatomyositis � five to 10 percent

Hi Bailey and legs
    The other thing about rhematoid factor is that some people with really bad RA do not have raised levels of it and some people without arthritis may have raised levels. a055.gif

Gillx
  • bailey27
    So, can anyone help.

My rheumaoid factor was 10.5, i only know because i took a sneaky peek at the computer screen.

Is this raised? I was tol by my GP it could be sero-negative. I am a bit confused.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    Sounds as if it needs watching. But I'm no medic and the fact look sooo complicated....... Sorry, I hope you find out from your doctor, is s/he the sort of person you can talk to? Maybe your GP can help you? . Love sue
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Bailey,

10 out 10 for doing your homework :D I think, as Mistywillow is saying, you're one of the peeps whose RF is low so that's why you're classed as sero-negative. Please put me right everyone if I'm wrong.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Anything less than about 22 is normal for people with controlled RA. But the level will rise sharply in flare-ups. Mine is tested every 4 weeks and I keep a diary of the results and phone my Rheumy nurse if it stays high. p010.gif

However, note the following:

Perhaps the most important blood tests for musculoskeletal conditions are the erythrocyte sedimentation rate ( ESR ) and C-reactive protein ( CRP ). These measure inflammation in the body. They are therefore high in inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA) but normal in conditions such as osteoarthritis (OA). They are inexpensive and results may be available in only a couple of hours if required.

Another blood test that is measured frequently, but is actually less helpful than the two above, is the rheumatoid factor. This measures a special antibody in the blood. It is.... helpful to a rheumatologist after they make a diagnosis of RA: because patients with RA that have rheumatoid factor might sometimes have slightly worse disease than those without and therefore may receive more powerful treatments to control the disease quicker.

http://www.arc.org.uk/news/arthritistoday/128_2.asp

Next time you see your Rheumy, ask them if they want you to keep track of your blood tests. It helps you see what is going on as well. a035.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • chinablue
    chinablue Member Posts: 48
    hi everyone havent been on here for a while now like the new format this subject is something i was also looking for an answer too as my factor is 343 at mo and didnt realy know what that meant but the other markers are all normal. although you can see i look like the michellin man (being so swollen) the markers say that that is not the case. I am feeling very ill at mo and although i go to the docs they just dont seem interested and my rhemy is much the same dont get on with him he is insensitive and arrogant to boot and as i am overwieght he looks at me as if its all my own fault and i am worthless. :oops: anyway enough of feeling sorry for myself hope everyone is ok and if not a big hug to you keep on going thanks for the info chinablue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi chinablue :D

I remember that name! Is it really you? It only says that this is your first post. Welcome back! :D Wow, it is a long time since you have visited us, if the format is "new" to you. Great to hear from you but sorry to learn that you are feeling low and that your rheumi and gp appear totally disinterested in you. That is not right at all. I hope someone on here is able to help you. Would you be able to see another doctor? You cannot carry on the way you are going. You are having abysmal treatment, by the sounds of it.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chinablue
    yes it is me i have had quite a bad year last year and the year before so i havent had time to be on here unfortunately the latest thing in a long line of tradigies is my mother got sick last year and after going back and forth to docs (same as mine) we finaly ended up in a & e with her after a week or two in there they finaly told her what it was. She was diagnoised on the 6th november with non small cell lung cancer. By which time it was far too late to do anything about it and she died on December 21st. It all started with a pain in the shoulder, so needless to say i have no faith in my docs as this is not the first thing they have got wrong. its good to know that i am still remembered thankyou for that it makes me very happy :wink: hope you are keeping well
  • elnafinn
    Aw, dear chinablue

I am very sorry to hear all that has happened to you over the past two years and about your mum and what you both went through last year. I can see why you have lost faith in your doctors. I too had a very unwell mum the last three months of 2008. She is now back at home but has developed mental health issues, very likely due to the trauma of being critically and dangerously ill for so long. I can truly sympathise with what you must have gone through when you mum was very ill and can understand your devastation at losing her. I wish I could help you more. Perhaps you may have more time now to join us here on the forum.

Would it be possible for you to change your gp and rheumy? I know it is not always easy to do.

Thinking of you and sending you gentle hugs,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chinablue
    hi elna sorry to hear about your mum know what that ones like too it wears you out mentally and physically. (that was someone else rather than my mum) it was all so fast in the end we didnt even have time to come to terms with it being cancer and now feel very cheated and angry and let down. she was only 68 and never had a days illness in her life. She used to say all the docs were quackes and i have to say she was right. I mean to say how can you go from a pain in the shoulder to cancer we all thought she had pulled a muscel or something.
    But she came to terms with it very quickley and faced it head on and was her usal happy and uncomplaining brave lady right up until she died. And we all kept our promise not to cry and keep laughing and joking as we had always done right up to the end. I think she wanted us to do this so she didnt know exactly when it was coming although she knew she didnt have long.
    on the subject of changing docs i dont know if its better the devil you know and as for rhemy yes defently want to change him and i a name of another rhemy so i will have to see if i can change.
    thanks for your support and hope things improve for you and your mother hang in there i know its hard. you just have to keep rolling with the punches :wink:
  • elnafinn
    Hi chinablue

You are so right there, "you just have to keep rolling with the punches". You mum sounded a very courageous, great person. It must have all been a terrible shock to you and I can well understand that you are now going through the grieving process and all the different emotions that brings on. It is only natural to do so.

I know you have not got much faith in gps but I think you could possibly find one that treats you like a human being and listens to you. A change of rheumy would be a very good idea - pleased to hear you are thinking about doing that.

Keep on, keeping on, chinablue,

Luv
    Elna x()