Anyone ideas on BP and Tablets.

skezier
skezier Member Posts: 11,333
edited 29. Mar 2009, 13:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with this problem. I have a lot of oa, mostly its in my spine and certainly thats the real problem bit. 20+ years ago I had a full decompression that incorporated L1 down and (thankfully) lost 4 or 5 discs (I don't remember). I had a bit of nerve root damage and early degenerative changes (I think that was the oa starting).

By June last year I was really stiff and in so much pain and my Rumo and I discussed the quality of life things. He put me on a wonder drug (and for me it is) called pregabalin and I got a degree of my life back that I honestly thought I'd lost for ever. I had my drip in July and for the 1st time ever my BP was high. The top one isn't and never has been but the bottom one had gone up by 15. Then the beginning of this month I had done again and it was up to 99. It has always been round 60 so it seems to have gone up a lot! I don't know how high it can go before it does something but I did have a problem when my partner died and it was stress and I had some kind of heart thing.

I have taken S/R Diclos for 10+ years and the ordinary 50 3x for a good 8 years before that so I am sure its the pregabalin. I have tramadol as and when needed but again for years. I do have other problems but the tablets have been the same again for 10 years or more.

Just now I am stressed out of my head and none of that can you help with but in there is this real fear if I tell my Rumo he will take them off me....... I can't go back there, and really can't at the moment! So does anyone know will they just give me something to counter act the side effect please? I will not mention it if they would then take them off me. I really can't go back there! Bit long but thats what stress does eh :wink: Oh I have had a bit of chest cramp this week and I do see my Rumo next week. Take care, Cris

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I had high blood pressure pre op and my gp thought it could be stress related, but I am also on 50mg diclo .Diclo can cause hypertension, but because he felt I needed the anti inflammatory, he put me on bp medication (amlodipine, but there are lots of others). My diastolic (bottom) reading was over 100 at times, and they want it below 90, less if possible.
    If your bp is rising, and you`re worrying about it, it will be high when you have it taken. Mine was too, its hard to relax when you are worried. But high blood pressure can bring lots of problems of its own, so I think you will need to discuss it with rheumy/dr. Maybe they would consider addng a bp med.
    I`d say try not to worry, but I know its hard not to. Its probably better to talk it over sooner rather than later, so you don`t get more stressed about it.
    Take care
    Nicola
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Cris

Could it be the stress you've been under and not the tablets? You need to go to your Dr., no excuses :) He can put a 24hr bp monitor on so you get a reading whilst you are at rest too. Robert has had it done as he is stressed everytime he saw the Dr.

Love
    Vonski x
  • nearlybionic
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Cris

Could it be the stress you've been under and not the tablets? You need to go to your Dr., no excuses :) He can put a 24hr bp monitor on so you get a reading whilst you are at rest too. Robert has had it done as he is stressed everytime he saw the Dr.

Love
    Vonski x

Hi
    That`s what made my bp higher, `white coat syndrome` ,being more stressed when going to gp/hospital and having bp checked.
    NB
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    having your BP at a reasonable level is really important ..... .and so is not worrying about it!!!!

I take meds for my BP, and as someone else said there are lots of different ones, and there will be one for you if you need it.

I know it isn't easy to accept another thing to deal with, but I would urge you to mention it to your GP at least, and let them monitor it.

One high reading doesnt' mean you have high blood pressure - it is only when they see a series of high(er) readings that they begin to investigate ...... but there are lots of things that can raise your BP, so don't blame your meds just yet!!

good luck!
  • skezier
    Hi Nicola,
    The BP has risen only since the pregabalin and it also can push it up or lower it as side effects. I think this week it could be pushed by stress as well but I can't honestly risk loosing them, especially now I know how good they are! :wink: Yours was over 100 that is high. My top just about manages to get to 115 on a good day so that one isn't a problem. you don't know which the tablets effect do you? I know the bottom one is stress effective and I am badly stressed just now but when it started going up I wasn't, though I did persuade the nurse I was! :roll: If he wont take them off me I will ask him....... I really can't go back to not being able to get dressed again. :( Hey I am following your posts both for my early on set and other things so if you feel your being stalked........ :lol:
    Take care, Cris

Hi Wonkey,
    Sorry I didn't see you there. I think there are many reasons for it to be high this week.... Long may there be in one respect. You think its more that than the meds? I don't normally stress or at least am not aware of doing so but the pregabalin can also cause a whole host of things, anxiety being one. I shall sleep on it and hope I feel better in the morn.

Regards to 'she who eats anything no matter how disgusting' from 'he who eats everything and is asleep in the arm chair with a blanket he was chewing in his mouth' x

Hi Vonski,
    I know I should but I also know the gp wants to see me as much as I do them and they would take the tablets off me like that :wink: I think stress is taking its toll but I don't feel too good and I am really can't become useless just now. The phobia thing has pushed it higher since yesterday! :) Still that will calm down.....
    Love
    Cris xx
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi

NB There is a lot of the white coat syndrome about, just what you don't need :)

Cris Have a glass of sherry, brandy anything and go to bed :) Remember 4 am

Wonky Hope you are ok

Love
    Vonski x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Cris

If you do not wish to mention it to the gp at the mo, why not buy/borrow a bp monitor and check it out yourself once a day or so and keep a record.

My bp became a bit erratic and I am now on a little tablet daily which is like a water tablet.

Stress will not make your bp come down so try not to get in a state about it - much easier said than done I know.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Cris
    When I was pre op and my bp was found to be high at pre op assessment, I was asked to go to gp`s for bp readings a couple of times a week. Now I don`t know if it was worry about not getting my op cos bp high or just going and sitting in gp waiting room which kept sending mine higher!! :?
    My gp wasn`t convinced that it was too much of a problem for op , as his wife is an anaesthetist and she said she wouldn`t have had a problem with my bp. But he put me on a low dose of amlodipine to ensure it came down and didn`t delay my op.
    He also advised to me to take my bp at home, I am a nurse so had a monitor , but you can buy them. And at home my bp was ok!! On the whole anyway. I stopped taking them after my op as my bp was lower in hospital , but do need to check with my gp soon about longterm as I have checked it at home and occasionally it has been up.
    I was a bit fed up that I had another tablet to take and another medical issue, but my gran had strokes so I don`t want to take any risks!!
    To think that this time last year I didn`t have any thing diagnosed, just bad hips, bad back, and longstanding gynae issues and now....... :shock:
    Take care and stalk away!!!
    Nicola
  • skezier
    Hi Elna,
    That's a really good idea and I think I will get one tomorrow and take it 2x a week and see what it's up to. I feel better just having 'talked' about it, thats where this site is so good and you people so helpful.

I haven't knowingly had stress before this last few months, excluding the loss of my partner, as I am usually laid back and just be bothered but so many things have gone wrong and I don't seem to be able to meditate or relax so thats going have to be my challenge eh?

I hope you got your wheel barrow duties all done and thanks for your help,
    Luv
    Cris

Hi Nicola,

It really is a good idea and I will get one tomorrow. I was monitored before as it went very low cus of beta blockers (I used to pass out all over the place and every time I stood up!) but I was quite happy for them to take those tablets back! :) I think I do have 'some' stress but I also recon the pregabalin have done some of it but they are worth it, they really are.

You take care and good luck tomorrow,
    Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Cris

Perhaps you should monitor your bp a little more than twice a week but that is up to you of course. :oops:

I am sure you know that it is not only stress that can make bp go a little haywire but first things first, the purchase of and then keeping a record.

I was told by my gp that the arm bp monitor was more reliable than the wrist one, but the former are more expensive I believe.

I took our monitor to my gp to see if it gave the same reading as his monitor - that also makes sense if you can muster up the courage to do that or perhaps a nurse at your surgery could take your bp with your machine and theirs

Barrowing done - now what to have for dinner. Have not given that a thought yet. Glass of wine whilst I think perhaps...... :lol::lol:

Hope your day has been ok and the clock change did not alter things too much today for you.

Luv
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.