Life Changes

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 3. Apr 2009, 17:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I've just had a letter and copy of the medical report from occy health. It is what he told me he was going to write, he is contacting my GP for a copy of the MRI scan report on my neck and states that he advises that I will not be able to resume work and they should release my pension. I feel a bit sad, not being able to go back to a job I enjoyed, but I know inside that I couldn't do the sorts of things I used to, just walking for a whole shift would knock me out. I hope that it can all be sorted out without too much trouble and delay and I can carry on with my life. I think the shock I first felt has gone a bit and I would like to think about perhaps some voluntry work, which would mean less hours and less physical strain. At my age, nearly 54, I still have a lot left to give. Sue

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue,
    I hope you find it all goes smoothly, I remember the shock when I was medically discharged and even though you know it has to come it still takes you a bit by surprise. I am sure you do have a huge amount to give and I hope you soon find something that will be less demanding on your bones but as rewarding as you job has been. Take care, Cris x
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Sue,
    I hope you find it all goes smoothly, I remember the shock when I was medically discharged and even though you know it has to come it still takes you a bit by surprise. I am sure you do have a huge amount to give and I hope you soon find something that will be less demanding on your bones but as rewarding as you job has been. Take care, Cris x

Hi Sue
    I guess actually seeing it in writing brings it home to you. Try and think of it as a new chapter in your life although it might not be one you would have picked. I am sure there are many areas of voluntary work that would suit you. You are always so caring and empathic and full of wise words on this site, there are charities that need those qualities without requiring you to be physically sound.
    love Gillx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sue
    a bit :(
    But as you say - you have lots to give.
    Volunteering would be great and really valuable to those who gain from your experience :)
    Take care
    Toni x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Sue

Sorry it's come to this for you, it is a real shock like you and others have said. If you're thinking of voluntary work working with cancer patients is rewarding but can be very hard. Also working with Victim Support. You get to meet a wide variety of people but the hard thing with this is you have to detach yourself and walk away when your part is done. On the other hand you get a few numpties who think they will get loads of compo and say things like if I broke my mates nose would he get compo too :roll: A few even tried it :lol: Sure there are lots more worth doing but these are 2 that I know about.

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    Thank you very much everyone, and thanks for the kind words and suggestions. The next thing I'll do is take a look around and see whats going on and how can best use my time.

On a brighter note I've got an appointment with the plastic surgeon, to decide whats best for my carpel tunnel! :) I'm still hoping for a face-lift! :D I really hope he'll do the release surgery, as although the thought of it makes me feel a bit queasy, I'd like to get rid of some of the pain and maybe have better use in my hands. I've broken most of the cerial bowls already! :shock: :wink:Thank you all love Sue
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Hi Sue,

I think you sound much brighter and positive - good on you girlie :)

Yes, at your (our) age theres still lots to give :!:

Regarding the possibility of doing voluntary work, I'd just say think carefully about what would suit you emotionally not just physically.
    I do admire folk who, for example, care for the terminally ill...... now I don't want to sound callous but if it was for older people who've lived their lives I could do that. But I would get much too emotional and sad if it was for younger folk. (God bless the people who do those kind of jobs).

After my friend was widowed, she volunteered at a local theatre for a few months. She found this helpful at the time, not stressful and quite pleasant.

Anyway Sue, onward and upward as they say :)

Jackie x
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    I think it's the realisation that work's no longer an option and having it spelt out with medical retirement that hits hard.

Though I must admit, in some respects it was a relief as my immediate line manager was making my life very difficult and work was no longer enjoyable.

I became involved in a business start-up and that has really helped to keep me occupied for a few hours a week but I can choose how much or how little I want to do.

Wishing you all the best.

Patrick
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Sue
    I'm sure you will miss your job, but after a while you will see it as one chapter of your life. Now a new one is beginning, and it feels unfamiliar at first. If I were you, I would take a bit of time to look around at what your options are, but don't rush into something which might not be right for you.

There is life after full-time work, and I think you will enjoy it once you get used to it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Sue, So sorry to hear you news but I think you knew it was going to happen. I had to retire from work at 59 because of the Arthur so I know how you must be feeling. I tried and tried to hold on to my job but just could not do it any more. Its sad that you have so much to offer and forced into the situation by your health. I think out of all the mental things I went through not being able to work was the worse. But you get over it and as you say you have to move on with your life. I hope things turn out OK for you Sue take care and keep your chin up. Nows the time to start thinking what your going to spend you lump sum on that will cheer you up.
    Colin
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Hi Sue

Hope everything goes well. I understand you are in the NHS at least they will top up your pensions by 10 yrs. I retire at 57 yrs not through bad health although I did try but was told I will never be able to get early retirement through ill health with back pain. Financially I am ok and thought I would miss work and did plan to do voluntary work but have never managed to do it being very lazy & now with a new neck problem, I doubt whether I will do it now. I did voluntary work with help the aged before but the couple I did befriend both died. Good luck.
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi Sue know how you feel I was retired medically aged 42 in 1998 arthur got the better of me and have done vol work as others say there is a lot out there but get someting you enjoy did you ever get to RING meeting (there was aguy talking about college courses etc retraining) or another arthiritis group in Norwich you could help there or form one???if you felt like it hope your appt goes well???
  • woodbon
    Hi Collage courses not me, I did go to the one with Prof Scott, but the next one was during a visit from my sister who only comes once or twice a year, as she lives on the south coast! I've been so clogged up with appointments lately I forgot :oops: and lost track. I'll see if I can find out when the next one is after the easter holidays as my husband works at Wymondham Collage. Sue
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi Sue,Sorry to hear you have had to give up work.I am in the same position,having now given up my job as a home help.(could no longer lift heavy things like the vacuum cleaner or carry heavy shopping).Like you,I will miss the work and the indepenance it gave.With summer on the way(hopefully),enjoy the rest and the sunshine when we get it. 8) Love,Breane.
  • woodbon
    Thanks everyone for your kind messeges. Its a real boost to get so many! I'll just be glad when all the formalities are compleated and then I can really move on. :) Love to everyone Sue
  • noeltone
    Hi sue i was there when Prof Scott was there we could have had a chat ???the next one is April 20th same venue it is 1st anniversary birthday party speaker Dr. Merry :!: :!: :!:
  • jennywren
    jennywren Bots Posts: 79
    I am in Norfolk and I have never heard of this group it must be quite selective and perhaps secretive if it exists like so many groups. I went to one once and they just wanted to play bingo, have a raffle, go to the panto and the garden centre and resisted sexing it up as i wanted to have a disco and such like and dinner parties perhaps Sue we could start our own group up if you are interested you could e mail me I live in Diss are you in Wymondham.
  • noeltone
    The next meeting is on April 20th same venue it is 1st anniversary birthday party speaker Dr. Merry