nerve damage

chinablue
chinablue Member Posts: 48
edited 2. Apr 2009, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has any suffered nerve damage?
I have RA and last year developed a very bad shake in my arms and hand and on asking the rheumy about it he said it had nothing to do with my ra so i went back to docs.
They arranged for me to see a nuroligist (sorry cant spell) and he said that i had suffered nerve damage due to my condition well since then i have also noticed i have numb patches on my back when i told the doc about this they didnt seem to worried. I was wondering if i should be worried at all. :?:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi chinablue

I would be worried about it if it was me. Did the neurologist say what, if anything, could be done about it? Can it be reversed?

Nerve damage can be associated with many different types of autoimmune disease with RA being one of them. Rheumatologists will test for autoimmune diseases but may not be trained to know what the results mean so make sure you get one who has had the extra training in autoimmune diseases and know what they are doing.

Another reason for changing your rheumy.

I shall not be logging on today as the power is going to be OFF from 9 - 4 today down our road for some reason or other. :roll: :roll:

Keep smiling, hope to speak again soon,

Luv
    Elna ()
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    HI Chinablue
    Nice to meet you!
    I have a patch of numdness on my bum(!) and the back of my knee and the side and underneath of my rt foot.
    I was told that that was nerve damage and has been like it since I damaged my back about 5 yrs ago+.
    I hope you get to the bottom of your problem.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Glad you've joined the site. Sorry you've got a worrying problem.
    Its easy for me to say 'if I were you', but I do think you should find out more about this. Have you had a scan or x-ray? Sometimes arthritis can cause a bone spur that touches the nerve, I have one in my neck and it makes my left side, arm in particular, tinglely. As the others have said, sometimes an autoimmune problem can cause this. If you have a good GP, that may be a good person to talk to, or the rhuemmy who sent you to the neurologist. I do hope you can sort this out quickly. Love Sue
  • marief
    marief Member Posts: 26
    hi
    I have nerve damage in both my arms slight numbness in both hands and few numb batches at the top of my arms , told my Rhum doctor and he made an appointment to have a nerve induction test , which I've had done .
    what it is you have pad put on your arms which are conected to a machine which then passes a small electric current through your arm which make your arm jump it does'nt hurt , my result were ok not enought for surgery .
    I also had an ultrasound scan on both arms as sometime I felt that I had hot batches at the top of my arms and quite sensitive to touch this is a sigh of nerve and muscle damage.

hope this helps
    I would speak to Arthritis doctor (Rhum-doctor)

marie
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi, I'm not to sure about RA but having issues with my nerves due to advanced OA i'd say any sign of parathesia or tingling should be investigated. Your GP should be checking for signs of this and noting them.
  • chinablue
    Hi everyone thankyou all for your replies and advice my rhumy and i don't see eye to eye so he is next to useless and i have tried to talk to doc about it again not very helpful i rang the nuroligists secetary who said i needed my gp to refure me (ever felt like your going round in circles?) :roll: Any way have now desided to take matters into my own hands and am going for a full ct scan not sure it this will be the answer but at least i feel like i am doing something to help myself.
    we will have to see if that shows anything up. I have long suspected that i may have another auto emune problem besides ra so will try and find out for myself.
    You might wonder how i can afford this let me let you in on a little secert I can't so I am useing Tesco club card voulchers to pay for it. miss out on the hols this year but i think this more important.
    Thankyou all again hope everyone ok and if not hugs all round
  • elnafinn
    'morning chinablue

Sun is shining - looks lovely out there but it is chillly still as I nipped out to put the papers in our recyle bin and feed the fish in the pond.

I hope you are able to get your ct scan arranged soon - should be able to as you are paying.

It is good to have the electiricity back on again. We have new electric overhead cables now. Would have been better if they had been put underground but perhaps that is more expensive. Felt a bit lost yesterday not being able to log on, but a good excuse not to do the ironing!

I hope you are feeling ok today.

Be good!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    China blue, why can't you persuade your gp to send you for a full scan? I do not think why you should pay for it!! Just wonder how many tesco vouchers do you need for a full scan, I did not know you can do it that way? My GP referred me for a scan for my neck, I did not have to convince her. I have chronic backpain for over 10 yrs and I could not persuade my GP to refer me for a scan. You have given me an idea with the tesco vouchers. I do want to know what's wrong with my ongoing back pain. The neck pain is something new to me.
  • chinablue
    Hi marie if you go onto the tesco clubcard deals web site you will find in the health section lifescan for a full body scan costs £715 but if you pay in club card voulchers it is 1 for 4 deal so if you have £10 in clubcard you can exchange them for £40 in lifescan voulchers like the hoildays deals they do. so in fact it only costs a 1/4 of £715 dont know if it will do me any good yet but at least they check for life threatening dieases too so thats worth it just to rule that out. I am going tomorrow and you normaly get results in 3 working days so should know something then.
    Hi elna thanks for your support and i have read the other message you left on the other thread thanks. Its good to know your back with the electronic age again was the lecky off all nite too? don't like the sounds of overhead cabbles do they go right over the top of your house? Keep an eye on your health if it dose can affect you in all sorts of ways. take care every one. It is realy nice to come on here and chat to everyone again forgotten how it made me feel that i was not alone any more.
    lots of love and hugs CB
  • elnafinn
    Hi chinablue :D

Wishing you all the very best for tomorrow. Let us know how you go on - please! Electric was back on by soon after 4.00 p.m. We have always had overhead electric cables in this road where we live. It looks most unsightly to say the least but there you go. Probably far too expensive to put them underground like they do nowadays. Our house is about 6o years old. They may well have an effect on health but you may be thinking of high voltage cables/phone masts.

:D Hey, chinablue it is great to have you back again after all this time. How could I forget such a lovely name :D:D It is good to talk :D:D and on here you are most definitely not alone.

Luv
    Elna x(())

• marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Chinablue, quite a lot of vouchers you will need for the scan!! It is worth trying to see your GP again and persuade him to refer you for a scan, it does not seem right you have to pay for it yourself. At least give it a try and if the answer is still no, you can just mention casually how much will this cost privately not that you can afford it, but not knowing what's wrong is making sick with worry & hopefully it will agree.