Phased return to work

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
Hi
I have a consultation with Occy health at my work, NHS, next week , and wondered how a phased return to work, works in reality. This has been mentioned in passing before, but I can`t seem to find anything detailed about it.
Is there a time limit until you are back on normal hours? How does it affect your salary? Has anyone got experience of this?
NB

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Nearly,

Can you ask your Ocky Health person? You must have an idea before you do it as there has to be some kind of time limit on the shorter hours thing, have you tried googling it? It may come up. Or the CAB. What ever don't you go over doing it or get pressurized to go back before your ready. Take care, Cris
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Hi NB, sorry, I have no personal experience of it so don't know much, but the people who have gone through it where I work have had a meeting with management before starting phased return, so everything has been agreed by both parties in advance, so no unexpected surprises. Will this happen for you?
    All the best,
    Josie
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hi NB
    Scottish lass options seem good.
    I had a return to work a few years back. I had loads of unused leave as i had been off but i couldnt use it whilst on a phased return to work!! so i was on half pay until i got to work full hours and couldnt take any leave.....health wise better but financially worst off.
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks for replies. I am sure that occy health and hr will have some options,but I just want to be pre informed before my consultation.
    I have never been off work for more than a few days before, and I have now been off for nearly 10 months! Not all arthur related though. I also need 2 more operations probably in the next year or so, and know that I have to build my time at work up again before I am eligible for sick pay again.
    I will try to speak to my manager before my occy health thing, but not sure if she will know what I will be offered. I am quite anxious about the whole thing really.
    NB
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    hi
    I work in the NHS in community. Have obseved some phased return to work. Seems to be discretionary as per time etc but is always on full pay. one staff member after a year sick leave returned on 2 days x 4 weeks, 3 days x 2 weeks, 4 days x 2 weeks then full time. This was some time ago. HR seems to become more involved with policies and PCTs and there may now be limited discretion. Recently a staff member after 3 months sick was advised she must use annual leave instead. There may be a policy on your PCT intranet or consult union organisation to get firm ground. Best of luck,
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Hi there

At our work they call it rehab. They start you off a few hours a day less than your normal hours then gradually build it up over a number of weeks until you are at your normal working hours. I have had to do this once previously and felt it worked well. I only wish they had allowed it after maternity leave as my illness was diagnosed during this leave and I felt I was thrown in at the deep end a little. But it does work when employed properly. Usually your manager or similar will sit down with you and make an agreement. The only thing is if you renage on it they tend not to be too happy. Good luck
  • vdaniel
    vdaniel Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    I have a consultation with Occy health at my work, NHS, next week , and wondered how a phased return to work, works in reality. This has been mentioned in passing before, but I can`t seem to find anything detailed about it.
    Is there a time limit until you are back on normal hours? How does it affect your salary? Has anyone got experience of this?
    NB
    :?

:x I have just returned to work on a phased return after being off work for 13months with RA. After 3wks of 3 mornings a week I had a meeting at work. I was told that I was on a phased return to work for 6wks & they expected me to start full time in 3wks time. After all I was being paid! or the occupational health would have to be contacted again. :shock: Well, if I'm not well enough to commence full time again so be it. Am I supposed to be alarmed? The thing is they were very supportive when I was away from work. Your health comes first. :x
  • nearlybionic
    Hi vdaniel
    As you say, you can only work if you are well enough to do so. I hope that if you do have to see occy health again, that they are understanding of your RA and how it affects your ability to work.
    Who do you work for? is it the NHS too?
    I have just sorted my return to work note from my gp, and although I do feel better than I was, I still have problems with pain and mobility. I am concerned how I will manage long term, but I need to go back to see how it goes.
    Regarding their being very supportive when you were off work, the cynic in me thinks well, they will do anything to try to get you back to work. Once you are back, ....... :roll: I hope thinks go well for you. And I`ll let you know how I go on.
    NB
  • vdaniel
    vdaniel Member Posts: 3
    Hi vdaniel
    As you say, you can only work if you are well enough to do so. I hope that if you do have to see occy health again, that they are understanding of your RA and how it affects your ability to work.
    Who do you work for? is it the NHS too?
    I have just sorted my return to work note from my gp, and although I do feel better than I was, I still have problems with pain and mobility. I am concerned how I will manage long term, but I need to go back to see how it goes.
    Regarding their being very supportive when you were off work, the cynic in me thinks well, they will do anything to try to get you back to work. Once you are back, ....... :roll: I hope thinks go well for you. And I`ll let you know how I go on.
    NB

No, I work for BCC but the woman I had the meeting with thinks she ownes it :x . Yes, the occy health are very helpful, supportive and understanding so don't worry when you go to see them. I needed to get back to work for my sanity alone. :wink: I am happier but as you say the pain is easier but still there. Only going back full time will tell. We'll see. Best of luck :)
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    I had 7 months of work and came back with 8 weeks of 'phased return'
    It was done by occ health and they actually set out the days,hours and breaks....I too had lots of remaining hols left so took that to make up my money....
    It did help but once i got back to my normal hours i started struggling again.
    Good luck.
    x