I would appreciate some advice

Options
karenlaura
karenlaura Member Posts: 4
Hi I would appreciate some advice on my newly diagnosed arthritis. Up until now I have been fortunate enough to enjoy fairly good health. I am 48 and have always had jobs that involve a lot of activity my present one being a TA in a nursery class at a primary school. The last few weeks I have suffered pain in the arch of my left foot mostly after a period of activity and then rest on getting up again. I consulted my doctor who has diagnosed arthritis.
I have a high instep and as a result of that I have hammer toes so buying shoes is a bit of a nightmare anyway and now I have tried insoles and my shoes are even tighter.
Where do I go from her? Are there any pills I can take to ease the pain. My doctor sent me away with no midication advice and simply told me my shoes were giving me no support. They are clarkes so I am surprised.
Will the pain get worse? Will I be able to continue working and will I start to get this elsewhere?
I am feeling confused and a little scared.
Thank you for reading this

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Karenlaura,

I'm sorry to hear that you are worried about your feet and unclear about your options. First of all it is probably helpful to get your GP to give you the exact diagnosis. Sometimes that may involve getting x-rays done and possible referrals.

I am attaching a link about feet problems for you to look at now.
    http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6012/6012.asp

If you've not been referred to a podiatrist yet, then that's often the next stage - if the GP feels you need an arch support then generally that's an orthotics referral (their custom made inserts may require you to wear roomy shoes to accomodate them - so take some examples of your shoes along to see what they would recommend for you.

If you would like more information on self-managing arthritis then email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and give us your name and address (mention feet, the formal diagnosis if you know it, and that you've spoken to us on the forum already.)

hope that gives you some options to consider
    Guy
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Karen
    Sorry to hear about your foot pain. It must be something to do with working in a primary school :!: I am a retired primary school teacher, and I have had a lot of problems with my feet, and now my knees. We do spend a lot of time on our feet, I suppose.

Is your doctor absolutely certain it is arthritis in your foot? I had awful pain in both my feet, just as you describe, but it turned out to be a condition called plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the ligaments that act as shock absorbers under your arches.It is a bit like elastic which has got overstretched. I was referred to the foot clinic and they gave me insoles for my shoes, but I was never comfortable in them. I have also got hammer toes like you, and shoes were a problem. I can't wear anything with heels any more. Eventually, I tried shoes made by a company called Hotter. They are mail order, but some shops have them in stock too. They are well-made, and seemed to support my feet better than others.

Gradually, the foot pain subsided, and I am now much better, although I have arthritis in my knees. Another thing which I have found helpful is acupuncture. I was a bit sceptical about it, but it was provided on the NHS, so I gave it a try, and it has definitely reduced my pain. I have also been given steroid injections in my heels, with little success, unfortunately, but it works for some people.

If your pain persists, you probably need to have X-rays, and to see a consultant. It is quite upsetting when you suddenly find you are in pain, and can't walk so easily, but there are many things which can help, and you will get lots of support on this site.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • karenlaura
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Karen
    Sorry to hear about your foot pain. It must be something to do with working in a primary school :!: I am a retired primary school teacher, and I have had a lot of problems with my feet, and now my knees. We do spend a lot of time on our feet, I suppose.

Is your doctor absolutely certain it is arthritis in your foot? I had awful pain in both my feet, just as you describe, but it turned out to be a condition called plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the ligaments that act as shock absorbers under your arches.It is a bit like elastic which has got overstretched. I was referred to the foot clinic and they gave me insoles for my shoes, but I was never comfortable in them. I have also got hammer toes like you, and shoes were a problem. I can't wear anything with heels any more. Eventually, I tried shoes made by a company called Hotter. They are mail order, but some shops have them in stock too. They are well-made, and seemed to support my feet better than others.

Gradually, the foot pain subsided, and I am now much better, although I have arthritis in my knees. Another thing which I have found helpful is acupuncture. I was a bit sceptical about it, but it was provided on the NHS, so I gave it a try, and it has definitely reduced my pain. I have also been given steroid injections in my heels, with little success, unfortunately, but it works for some people.

If your pain persists, you probably need to have X-rays, and to see a consultant. It is quite upsetting when you suddenly find you are in pain, and can't walk so easily, but there are many things which can help, and you will get lots of support on this site.

Joan
    :D
  • karenlaura
    Options
    Hi Karenlaura,

I'm sorry to hear that you are worried about your feet and unclear about your options. First of all it is probably helpful to get your GP to give you the exact diagnosis. Sometimes that may involve getting x-rays done and possible referrals.

I am attaching a link about feet problems for you to look at now.
    http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6012/6012.asp

If you've not been referred to a podiatrist yet, then that's often the next stage - if the GP feels you need an arch support then generally that's an orthotics referral (their custom made inserts may require you to wear roomy shoes to accomodate them - so take some examples of your shoes along to see what they would recommend for you.

If you would like more information on self-managing arthritis then email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and give us your name and address (mention feet, the formal diagnosis if you know it, and that you've spoken to us on the forum already.)

hope that gives you some options to consider
    Guy