Jaw Stiffness

Options
daisychain
daisychain Member Posts: 29
Hi everyone,

For the last few months I have noticed my jaws are stiff ,particularly on one side and I cannot open my mouth as wide as I would like. I have even noticed the stiffness affecting my speech sometimes but thankfully I don't think it is noticed by others. I went to the dentist recently and apologised in case I could not open my mouth wide enough, I said it was due to my RA ( sero negative) and he seemed very surprised saying that as far as he knew you did not get arthritis in jaw. This shocked and worried me as he is a very experienced dentist. I did not like to say much more but just commented that I had seen articles about it on the web and so had presumed limked to RA. I read it tends to be one of last joints to be affected.

I am due to see my Rheumy again in a few weeks and I have just started on Mtx after much hesitation ( no side effects yet but early days !) I will mention my stiff jaws to him but in the meantime I am hoping for some improvment with taking the Mtx.

I have searched through posts but find little reference to jaw pain so I am now questioning myself. The stiffness does respond well to anti inflammatories and I have had no injury so assumed it was RA linked. Hope this does not sound too odd.

Thank you so much for all the support on this forum, it has been an enormous help to me and given me the confidence to start on Mtx.

Comments

• magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Daisychain,
    I'm sure the help-line folk will get back to you but I wanted to tell you a few things myself-hope this is ok? I had jaw problems for years, cutting a long story short, I have now been diagnosed with Temperomandibular Joint Dysfunction and OA in both sides of my jaw. You can get arthritis in your jaw, it is a joint, so your dentist, I'm afraid is wrong. Try and get referred to a maxilliofacial surgeon. Hope this helps :wink:
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hi Daisychain,
    I'm sure the help-line folk will get back to you but I wanted to tell you a few things myself-hope this is ok? I had jaw problems for years, cutting a long story short, I have now been diagnosed with Temperomandibular Joint Dysfunction and OA in both sides of my jaw. You can get arthritis in your jaw, it is a joint, so your dentist, I'm afraid is wrong. Try and get referred to a maxilliofacial surgeon. Hope this helps :wink:
    Magenta x

PS Use the search engine for my name, I've posted a few topics on the jaw xx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi Daisychain
    I'm pleased you've found support from the forum and you have had good replies from Magenta.
    You can certainly get arthritis in your jaw joint. It's not very common but it does happen. Talk to your rheumy at your next clinic appointment.
    Don't lose faith in your dentist, arthritis is not his area of expertise and he probably doesn't know much more than the basics of it.
    Best wishes
    Val