Systemic Sclerosis work ?

megmot
megmot Member Posts: 26
I was off work a month offer christmas and started back on 8 Jan, i had a steroid injection in Dec was daignosed in Feb this is after twelve months of hospital oppointments ,in Feb i was put on steroid tablets for a month and then started MTX . went off sick in April for a week and went to work for three days after Easter i have now been told i am off sick for a month my MTX has been uped and i have had a steriod booster as well . Phoned work they want a meeting as they cannot go on like this, ha ha what about me. My questions are.
Is there anything i sould be claiming ? if yes what
and if work cut my hours can i claim anything and can work do that they do not pay sick i get SSP
What is ESA ?
And what is vat off MBT'S ?

THANK YOU
Meg

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Meg
    Under the Disability Discrimination Act your employer has a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to your working practices and conditions which can include providing you with equipment to help you and allowing you some flexibility in your working hours. They cannot dismiss you because you have a medical condition. Contact your Occupational Health department if you have one or an Access to Work advisor at your Job Centre. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' explains all this in detail.
    You might be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and our Benefits Factsheets on our website explain this benefit. We always advise people to seek help from a Welfare Rights Worker (from Social Services or Citizens Advice Bureau) to complete these forms as they are long and complicated.
    ESA is Employment Support Allowance ( the new name for Incapacity Benefit) paid if you are unable to work because of long term illness and if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions.
    You may be entitled to tax credits if you are unable to work full time and the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 will advise you on this.
    If you are buying MBTs the salesperson should give you a VAT exemption form. If they don't or if you want to see if you qualify for VAT exemption then call Customs & Excise on 0845 010 9000
    Best wishes
    Val
  • megmot
    megmot Member Posts: 26
    Hi Meg
    Under the Disability Discrimination Act your employer has a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' to your working practices and conditions which can include providing you with equipment to help you and allowing you some flexibility in your working hours. They cannot dismiss you because you have a medical condition. Contact your Occupational Health department if you have one or an Access to Work advisor at your Job Centre. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' explains all this in detail.
    You might be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and our Benefits Factsheets on our website explain this benefit. We always advise people to seek help from a Welfare Rights Worker (from Social Services or Citizens Advice Bureau) to complete these forms as they are long and complicated.
    ESA is Employment Support Allowance ( the new name for Incapacity Benefit) paid if you are unable to work because of long term illness and if you have paid enough National Insurance contributions.
    You may be entitled to tax credits if you are unable to work full time and the Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882200 will advise you on this.
    If you are buying MBTs the salesperson should give you a VAT exemption form. If they don't or if you want to see if you qualify for VAT exemption then call Customs & Excise on 0845 010 9000
    Best wishes
    Val

Hi Val
    thank you for your reply.
    What does MBTs stand for. And can you send your booklet to me please.
    Meg
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Meg

MBT stands for Masai Barefoot Technology and the shoes were invented by a Swiss engineer called Karl Müller in the early 1990s.
    If you would like to know more then google MBT shoes.

I have a pair and I wear them all the time. I got the VAT taken off as I have osteo arthritis. They are expensive and should be fitted by someone trained to do this. They are the most comfortable trainers/shoes I have ever had.

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Thanks Elna - glad the MBTs work so well for you.
    Meg - send us an email to Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your address & we'll send you the booklet.
    Best wishes
    Val