is OA a disability

Options
harleyd14
harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
hello there, i may sound stupid, but i was wondering, is OA classed as a disability, when i went to the CAB this morning with regards to a shirty manager-long story short, she is getting funny about me "having so much time off, and shouldnt you be better by now" and i think i am just about to lose my job...yada yada.... anyway when i saw the CAB lady she thought OA isnt classed as a disability after you have had a Hip Resurface....i am totally confused now, reading through this forum it sounds like i could have and should have claimed for DLA of some sorts, op was on 28 jan 09. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    harleyd14 wrote:
    hello there, i may sound stupid, but i was wondering, is OA classed as a disability, when i went to the CAB this morning with regards to a shirty manager-long story short, she is getting funny about me "having so much time off, and shouldnt you be better by now" and i think i am just about to lose my job...yada yada.... anyway when i saw the CAB lady she thought OA isnt classed as a disability after you have had a Hip Resurface....i am totally confused now, reading through this forum it sounds like i could have and should have claimed for DLA of some sorts, op was on 28 jan 09. any advice would be much appreciated. thanks.

Hi Harley

OA itself is not a disability. It is a condition that can lead to different levels of disability. Here is a link to your employment rights http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/YourEmploymentRights/DG_4001071

For further information on working with arthritis please see our booklet of the same name: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets It also contains a definition of disability as recognised by the DDA.

Whether or not you would be awarded any DLA benefit depends on your level of ability/disability not the fact that you have OA. Also the fact the you have already had your surgery may be interpreted by DLA that your disability is better.

I'm not surprised you are confused about all this - it is very confusing. If it would help to talk it through with us, please feel free to give us a call.

I hope this helps. Best wishes

Simona