can anyone help?

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 22. Apr 2009, 18:37 in Young people's community
i've posted this in the living with arthritis forum, but just wondered if anyone had the same problem?
i'm not that young but really would appreciate any advice! thanks!

here goes.....at the moment i can only walk whilst pushing my little one in her pushchair, it's like a zimmer frame to me! it's got good suspention so i don't get jolts, it's sturdy enough for me to lean on if needed, but i'm obviously limited going out withou her, she's not going to be in a pushchair forever either!
so what could replace the pushchair? walking sticks are no good as i can't lean on them so not enough support so is my only choice a zimmer type frame? i'm only 35 (in a few days!) and kind off feel to young for this, sorry, i hope i don't offend anyone, i don't mean to, but are they any other suggestions? i would like to be able to go out on my own even just for a short wander but without the pushchair to lean on i just can't.
help please? what do other's use?
thanks sue x

Comments

• jenni_b
    jenni_b Member Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi

my youngest is still in her pushchair and will be for a while!

But she is toddling now and I know what you mean about that pushchair being handy.

you can get different sticks, frames etc- I too find the grip hard to do.

I have got myself a power chair and it is fab.

Remap designed and me a carrier for littly.

the dppi have info booklets (free) with lots of ideas.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    i've posted this in the living with arthritis forum, but just wondered if anyone had the same problem?
    i'm not that young but really would appreciate any advice! thanks!

here goes.....at the moment i can only walk whilst pushing my little one in her pushchair, it's like a zimmer frame to me! it's got good suspention so i don't get jolts, it's sturdy enough for me to lean on if needed, but i'm obviously limited going out withou her, she's not going to be in a pushchair forever either!
    so what could replace the pushchair? walking sticks are no good as i can't lean on them so not enough support so is my only choice a zimmer type frame? i'm only 35 (in a few days!) and kind off feel to young for this, sorry, i hope i don't offend anyone, i don't mean to, but are they any other suggestions? i would like to be able to go out on my own even just for a short wander but without the pushchair to lean on i just can't.
    help please? what do other's use?
    thanks sue x

If you carried on with the pushchair and no baby you might look like one of those 'bag ladie'!! Sorry just had a bit of a picture there. Hope you get sorted
    Toni x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    hi
    what about one of those push-along shopping trollies, dont know how sturdy they are, and they might be abit old fashion in style but may be you could jazz one up yourself.
    let us know if you find something helpful

Page :)
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    If you carried on with the pushchair and no baby you might look like one of those 'bag ladie'!! Sorry just had a bit of a picture there. Hope you get sorted
    Toni x[/quote]

lol, thanks toni, maybe i could my cat in it and be a mad cat lady?!!!
    or a doll?
    i just feel that although i will need something like a zimmer, i also feel like i'll draw attention to myself, does that make sence? it's just that with the pushchair noone knows i'm got a mobility problem but if i had to use a frame of some sort i'm going to get people asking questions and i'll feel old, not that i don't feel old already!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Yes Suz
    Add the cat a little bonnet too!!!
    Seriously though is one of those trolleys and idea? Some of them look really good.
    I do know what you mean about not really wanting a zimmer though :(
    Take care
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sue

Stick with the pushchair. :lol: 8) I think nothing "odd" :lol: seeing peeps pushing an empty push chair. Just dropped the babe off somewhere or on your way to pick them up! Soooooooo useful for carrying your shopping, your coat/jacket when the weather suddenly changes whilst you are out. You can go round the supermarket with the pushchair and put your shopping in it on the way to the cash desk. Much better than a zimmer, more useful, much less noticeable and surely faster!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.