diagnoiss

specialblue
specialblue Bots Posts: 6
hi 18 months ago i was told i had rheumatoid arthritis now i am being told that i have inflammatory arthritis also my nurse said yesterday that is was in my file that i have also got secondary fibromyalgia i didnt know anything about either of these thins i have been finding all ai can about rheum arthur when i might not have it i am confused it came about as i went to see my nurse yesterday and told her my shoulders have been causing me some problems for 2 months she had a look and said well you have got secondary fibromyalga i didnt know what to say as i havent been told this at all really confused :?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Special blue,
    Thanks for your message. I can appreciate this diagnosis stuff can get a bit confusing, but it's not that unusual for the rheumatology people to change their minds as they get to know your particular arthritis in more detail as time goes on.

The concerning thing is the process of communicating things with you. Sometimes it can be helpful to come on one of our self-management courses and develop your skills - they can come in handy if you need to get assertive.

In this particular situation it may be worth getting clear with the rheumatology nurse the difference between inflammatory arthritis and RA. I have a feeling that the difference is very slight, and may rest on how many tests came back positive. The treatment may be identical. Fibromyalgia is generally described as a secondary condition - perhaps linked with long-term pain and poor sleep.

If you send your name and address to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk we can send you more information (explain who you are - ie special blue, so we know what to send you.)

hope that helps

Guy
  • specialblue
    specialblue Bots Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Special blue,
    Thanks for your message. I can appreciate this diagnosis stuff can get a bit confusing, but it's not that unusual for the rheumatology people to change their minds as they get to know your particular arthritis in more detail as time goes on.

The concerning thing is the process of communicating things with you. Sometimes it can be helpful to come on one of our self-management courses and develop your skills - they can come in handy if you need to get assertive.

In this particular situation it may be worth getting clear with the rheumatology nurse the difference between inflammatory arthritis and RA. I have a feeling that the difference is very slight, and may rest on how many tests came back positive. The treatment may be identical. Fibromyalgia is generally described as a secondary condition - perhaps linked with long-term pain and poor sleep.

If you send your name and address to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk we can send you more information (explain who you are - ie special blue, so we know what to send you.)

hope that helps

Guy
    hi guy thanks for your reply i got a letter from my consultant when i first went to hospital saying ra i was told that if my shoulders were still bothering me i can ring the helpline and they will try and get me in to see the consultant of course my shoulders are bothering me they alwasy do some days easier then others i will stop moaning and send you my name and address so you can send me some info thank you for listening you all do a grand job both on here and on phones julie