May I recommend a good book?

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 4. Nov 2009, 04:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I know it's all down to personal taste but this is the best novel I have ever read. It's the story of a circus and was written so well I never wanted it to finish. All who've read it so far have loved it, from my husband to my son to my friends. If you need a holiday read this could be the book for you - I shall always keep a copy of it on my bookshelf because I shall want to read it again.

I do read alot and just to show-off my sister-in-law is Elizabeth Chadwick who's an international author and is brilliant (I know I'm biased :roll:) - I have a wide and varied taste in novels.

What do you recommend?

Luv Legs :D
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I shall certainly keep that one on my list of books to take into hospital when I have my op.
    I have read most of if not all of Maeve Binchey books and my husband and I are huge fans of Sophie Kinsella, the shopaholic author, her books are extremely funny.
    My taste is very varied though and when I've been desparate for something to read I've even been known to read a Mills & Boon.
    Not sure if I've read any of Elizabeth's books although I do think her name is familiar, I'll have to go and look at my bookcase, which is slowly taking over our bedroom.

Rita X
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Try "The Law and the Lady" by Wilkie Collins.

It contains 19th century views on psychology and
    is a very good read.

I'm reading it for the second time.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Thanks, I'll look out for it. I recently read The Kite Runner and The Boy in Striped Pyjamas and I'd recommend both, very thought provoking.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I have just finished reading a book called "Another Alice" about a young woman diagnosed with RA in her teens, she was tipped to play at Wimbledon, it is a brilliant book about what she under went before she found a medication to help love Jaspercatxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Legs
    I know it a bit off the subject but if you want to be amased google

Elephants painting pictures

Colin
  • lindalegs
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Legs
    I know it a bit off the subject but if you want to be amased google

Elephants painting pictures

Colin

Hi Colin,

Have just watched - thought it was a guy at first with a trunk glove on - but not so sure towards the end when the camera panned out. You're right I was amazed.

Thanks for that.

PS Off to bed now - not a night owl like some of you - night-night
    Love, Legs x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi
    Two wonderful books by the same author, Khaled Hosseini, are The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

They are set in Afghanistan, and give an insight into that culture, but both are very moving and well written.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • lindalegs
    I agree Joan, excellent books, both.

Love, Legs x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi
    Two wonderful books by the same author, Khaled Hosseini, are The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

They are set in Afghanistan, and give an insight into that culture, but both are very moving and well written.

Joan

I mentioned The Kite Runner too, really makes you think. I'll defo get the other one if you think it's good.
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Hi, like jaspercat i would recommend 'another alice' to read. so made me relise i'm not the only person going through all this and feeling like this at time's. x
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    I love reading anything by Ben Elton or Lesley Pearse. All their books are brilliant.

I'm a BIG Harry Potter fan too :-) The books are so much better than the films.

Thanks for the ideas on books on this thread, I'll definitely check these out.

Nx
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Just recieved Water for elephants and I'm going to put it away straight away to keep for my holidays in just over 7 weeks.
    I normally read Terry Pratchett for laughs,Fantasy books or crime thrillers,I really like Ian Rankin too.
    One of the best series of books I ever read were the Master and Commander naval stories by Patrick O'Brian.
  • lindalegs
    lindah wrote:
    Just recieved Water for elephants and I'm going to put it away straight away to keep for my holidays in just over 7 weeks.
    I normally read Terry Pratchett for laughs,Fantasy books or crime thrillers,I really like Ian Rankin too.
    One of the best series of books I ever read were the Master and Commander naval stories by Patrick O'Brian.

Hi Linda,

Would love to know what you think of Water for Elephants, even if you don't like it (which I very much doubt) please keep me posted.

Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Guys
    Can't beleive I missed this one!! Must have been in Devon...I have read both Kite Runner and Thousand Slendid Suns and loved them both also recommedn Marley and me (much better than the film) and could keep going. The Memory keepers' Daughter also very good.
    I am currently (to my shame :oops: ) reading Finding Shannon about Shannon Matthews' disapearance. Sometimes I don't want to strain the brain...
    Give me more then!!! :)
    Toni x
    Ps. Hubby going up with nephew tommorrow for work and will visit my sis so am busy sorting out a pile of books for her!
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Guys
    Can't beleive I missed this one!! Must have been in Devon...I have read both Kite Runner and Thousand Slendid Suns and loved them both also recommedn Marley and me (much better than the film) and could keep going. The Memory keepers' Daughter also very good.
    I am currently (to my shame :oops: ) reading Finding Shannon about Shannon Matthews' disapearance. Sometimes I don't want to strain the brain...
    Give me more then!!! :)
    Toni x
    Ps. Hubby going up with nephew tommorrow for work and will visit my sis so am busy sorting out a pile of books for her!

Hi all
    Toni i loved Marley and me as the book but was soooo bored in the film I wanted to shoot myself and the guy who played Marley's owner!!

I never read Iris Murdoch before a few years ago but then I read 'the word child' and I couldnt put it down. her characters are so interesting and so well drawn that you really feel you know them.
    Also for poetry fans, i am re reading some of Thomas Hardy's poetry. I didnt get his cynicism (sorry spelling!!!!) when i read him at 18 but some of them are such brilliant portrayals of characters.

Are nt books great!! Arthur cant ruin that hobby. (na na na na na!)

Hi Ich
    I fancy trying the wilkie collins.

Happy reading love Gillx 8)
  • frogmorton
    Yes yes!
    Arthur can't take away our books!
    If it hurts to hold 'em we can get those hearing books or something can't we?!"
    Thomas Hardy eh?
    Maybe I should revisit poetry myself...?
    The real Marley Mum and Dad were NOT that good looking were they?!! They were ordinary like me :wink:
    Any more guys??
    Nearly finished Shannon and will need some more soon...
    Toni xx
  • mistywillow
    frogmorton wrote:
    Yes yes!
    Arthur can't take away our books!
    If it hurts to hold 'em we can get those hearing books or something can't we?!"
    Thomas Hardy eh?
    Maybe I should revisit poetry myself...?
    The real Marley Mum and Dad were NOT that good looking were they?!! They were ordinary like me :wink:
    Any more guys??
    Nearly finished Shannon and will need some more soon...
    Toni xx

Hi Toni
    when my hands are really bad I put the book on a deckchair book holder. (sold in most big bookshops) and rest it on a lap tray.
    Im sure you are not ordinary Tony!! :lol: Also i read somewhere that to make the film they used 43 different Marley dogs!!!!
    love Gillx :shock:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Legs,

I love kids books........ I know that wont surprise you but sometimes I have problems seeing the cover let alone reading them and have a few talking ones........ I recommend Winnie the Pooh, Harry Potter and Box of Delights. :oops: :D ...... I do sometimes read adult things bu those ones are somehow special.......... x

Gill and Toni,

Marley is good........ Book or Film I thought....... xx
  • frogmorton
    Hi Guys
    Now Gill that iS a good idea!! Must get one of those.
    I have sorted out about 30 books for my sister :) Feel as though the house MUST weigh less!!! :wink:
    Cris - I forgot about your eyes - hearing books must be a godsend in your case at times.
    You know what? I have not read ANY Harry Potter at all!!!!!
    I intend to read the lot in one go :shock:
    Need more book suggetsions in the meantime....
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Toni,

they are good especially if they are dramatised and some of mine are. I got all the H.P's and they really are good....... Tell you what I think you'd like The Midnight Folk....... as well. It's small and could be read in a few hours but it's full of magic and has a cat as well.... I'll shut up now :oops:

Take care, Cris xx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Toni,

they are good especially if they are dramatised and some of mine are. I got all the H.P's and they really are good....... Tell you what I think you'd like The Midnight Folk....... as well. It's small and could be read in a few hours but it's full of magic and has a cat as well.... I'll shut up now :oops:

Take care, Cris xx

i agree with skezier, Harry potter is very good, i get bored very easily with books and films but HP kept me interested. (think get fed up with most books cos cant reed half the long words, let alone understand them, bit dyslexic.)
    kids books are great.
    One book i did enjoy was Lenny Mcleans auto-biography The Guvnor. He was an east end tough guy, bare knuckle boxer. but then i am a londoner. :D
    Page
  • mistywillow
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Toni,

Take care, Cris xx

Hi Tony and Chris
    I havent read any HP either!!
    Gillx
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    I can't believe there are people in the world who haven't read Harry Potter!

Nx
  • lindalegs
    Anybody tried Margaret Forster books - I think she's a great author.

Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Oh No haven't read any HP!!!
    should have kept my big mouth shut!!!! :wink:
    Who wrorte that book Cris and give me titles Linda please.
    Have finished ny book - need more reading matter - fairly urgently...if not I may resort to the kids' OK magazine...really you wouldn't sentence me to that terrible fate..... :?
    Toni xx