Thyroid Problems

jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
Hi, hope you can help me, I have Severe Reactive RA and am presently taking MXT injections 20mg, I have just been told that I have had thyroid problems for 3 years but it is worse than ever now, I am seeing my gp on monday who is talking about further investigations, but is there any link between MXT and thyroid, or RA with thyroid? I appreicate your advice thanks love Jaspercatxx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jaspercat :D

I have oa and thyroid problems - well the latter is not a problem now as I take thyroxine and this is checked via a blood test a couple of times a year. I have not been aware that is is connected with arthritis but it is another auto immune disease. I had the thyroid problems in my early teens and an op at the age of 16 to remove a nodular goitre but the oa did not raise its ugly head until I was in my late thirties. I know quite a few women that have been put on thyroxine in their 50's or thereabouts.....

I expect the helpline will come up trumps for you! Hope your day is going ok for you and your hubby.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jaspercat
    The link between the two auto immune conditions - RA and thyroid problems - has been studied and there may be an increased risk of having both but how relevent this is to you is something to discuss with your GP or rheumy. I hope your GP can sort it out for you today.
    Best wishes
    Val