Living with Mehtotrexate and a dibilitated immune system

Options
susie51
susie51 Member Posts: 57
Hi I am at a loss to know what to do about keeping healthy. I used to be an advocate of zinc, eccenacia, vit c, etc boosting my immune system for a healthy life, especially during the winter. Nowadays I dont seem to be able to maintain health at all in the winter, this year I dont think I have had more than 10 days inbetween snuffles and full on colds. I also have problems with tooth infections, at the moment I am in the middle of a root canal filling episode being held up because the infection wont go away despite topical and oral anti biotics. Do you have any information that could help me understand how to live with all this. Am I right in thinking I am not supposed to boost my immune system any more or I will get more joing damage or is this too symplistic? Any info would be helpful. Also I would like to be able to go back and live in Gambia but what about the blood tests and prescriptions any ideas there? Cheers Susie

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Susie
    Keeping healthy can be difficult when you are managing a long term condition. When you have RA your immune system becomes overactive and the drugs like Methotrexate are designed to calm this down. You are right not to boost your immune system and people with an auto immune condition are advised not to take echinacea, epecially if you are taking Methotrexate as it may contribute to liver damage. It is better to avoid close contact with people with infections, have your yearly flu vaccination, and avoid eating unpasteurised milk and cheese, undercooked meat and raw eggs to reduce the risk of getting salmonella or listeria. If you are getting a lot of infections you should discuss this with your rheumy team.
    Our booklet 'Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis' explains managing your condition and can be downloaded from our website or I can post it to you if you send us a private message with your address.
    People do move to African countries and manage their treatment. You talk about going back to Gambia so if you still have friends or family there do ask them to look up health services. Or you can get information from the World Health Organisation website.
    Best wishes
    Val