Saw Consultant re: hip

denpen
denpen Member Posts: 389
edited 28. Apr 2009, 08:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I saw the consultant today, he DID put me on his list for the Hip Replacement but he wasnt very enthusiastic about it, I felt |I was inconveniencing him, he told me its a major operation and all the downfalls of having it done I told him they they could have cut my legs off and I wouldnt have cared if it could have stopped the pain. I told him I had a holiday booked for 1st week in Aug. firstly he said I couldnt go if I wanted the op. then he said I could have it done when I came back. He said because of my age (53) I would have to go back to see him for the rest of my life - an x ray every year... He said there were things I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO AGAIN such as sit on a low sofa or cross my legs and would have to sit on a raised toilet seat. He even said when telling me the risks that he was quite good when doing theses ops but it may not be him doing it and the other persons sucess rate might not be as good. I am more depressed now than I was before and thats saying something!!! its not like I WANT a operation but |I do want quality of life for my age.
Denise.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi denise
    Well done you to stand up to that onslaught!!! You are right you do deserve a quality of life and he seemed very negative, but probably wanted to be sure you know what you are doing. Which you do!
    So agin well done and keep us up to date on possible dates of admission etc
    Take care
    Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Denise,
    That's terribly negative of him and possibly untrue in a few bits...... I know the people who have had their hips done are going to know more but my brother had his first at 21 and it was both sides and now he's had one replaced but he is still mega active, sits on sofas etc etc etc. I agree with you 100% quality of life matters now and as Toni says keep us posted and fingers crossed for you. Take care, Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Denise

Often consultants have absolutely no bedside manner at all. They are excellent at surgery but I don't know why this seems to be the case with many of them. The consultant I had to do my TKR tried to put me off by saying all the negatives, it was a major op, never be the same as my original knee, etc etc. I could not take it back if I did not like it, what could go wrong - they have to tell you that, hang on as long as possible, replacements do not last for ever, the next op will not be as good, etc etc.

After hanging on for some time when I finally said I was going for it, he was ok about it.

I have heard in NHS it is not always the consultant you see that does the op. That happened to my mum. You get one of his side kicks. I am not saying that they would not be as good - but that is what your consultant is practically saying to you.

Surprised that he said you would have to see him yearly after the op for an xray. You may move away or he may......I am also surprised at the list he told you that you would never be able to do again. I have never heard that before. My mum had no problem with any of those things, after her hip op, not until much more recently but she is 85 now. She had her hip op years ago.

Sorry to have rambled on a bit - perhaps a second opinion would be in order. Not sure how I would feel if I was in your shoes after hearing all that from him. A bit gobsmacked more than likely.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Well done!!! I can understand you being depressed after listening to all that! I suppose, in his favour, you could say he told you all the facts but, I'm not sure I'd call it honest in the true sense. He obviously wanted to put you off, gave you the negative facts and put it in such a way as to try and make you afraid and say NO. That, to me is'nt the truth, thats propaganda and bullying.

Did he tell you any of the positive things, like pain releif, being active and having a normal (if there is such a thing)! Also, can you sit on the floor cross legged now? or sit on low sofas'? WHAT you do it all the time!!! I think not. Even if you did I'm sure that would be worth giving up! Sorry, I'll get off my soap box, if I can manage it :D . Lots of love and best wishes Sue
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Denise

What a horrible man, he should have been re-assuring you not trying to put you off. Well done standing up to him. I know most people have no regrets and they have a much better life than they had before. A raised toilet seat isn't the end of the world and you can always get a rise and recline chair.

Hope you have a good holiday and ignore him.

Love
    Vonski x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hiya Denise
    I`m sorry you came across such a negative person, especially when you build yourself up for the appointment. I have had mixed information since my THR re low seats etc.. I thought that all the hip precautions would be lifted after 12 weeks, but have read a British Medical Association book which says no seats lower than 19" forever!! :shock: (maybe I should arm myself with a tape measure every where I go in future!!) But I will check with my own consulant on his views. The loo seat thing, well I hated mine at first, but now think a normal one will be uncomfy !
    You need to take time to decide what you want to do. Either have you hol and then go back to him and his team for the op. Or ask your gp for a referral for a 2nd opinion and hopefully you will get a more understanding surgeon. Although there will be the wait again.
    Try not to let this dr knock your mood lower. Hard I know.
    NB
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    How dare he!!
    I know they have to give you the facts but there are positive sides too.
    If anyone on here was offered a raised toilet or the pain, which would they choose - hmmm I don't know thats a hard one.
    My dad had his hip done and never looked back and we all found the toilet thing easy to get used to.
    Sorry to rant but you did great standing up for your rights.
    Linda H 8)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi,
    I know from working days, that a toilet should only be raised if the person is tall. Your feet should always be on the ground! O.T. used to come round and put raised seats on all the toilets in the residents rooms and then the shorter, people would have problems getting on and off safely! :oops: Sometimes the professional input we had was quite odd. Old, been in hospital, AH, need raised toilet seat. Luckily they come of easily - too easy sometimes! :oops: :D I'm beginning to feel I ought to write a book, James Herriot style. :oops: Sorry I'm going on. :D Lots of love and good wishes Sue