Joining the Club!!!

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 2. May 2009, 12:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just bought something I didn't want to buy - my first walking stick :? It folds up to go into my handbag and I'll probably leave it there! :( Checked on a web site and the right side to use it is the good side, BUT that would mean using my weaker, painful hand :? Still, I although I feel it would useful to use, I will feel very self concous using it around my home towns, as I may see someone I know and they'll think I'm making a big fuss. Its OK in the Village here, because we have no pavements and the lanes are narrow and bendy and sometimes you have to walk on the verge which is like a rough field. In fact I've used my lake district walking pole here and seen ordinary walkers, all with poles. So thats OK!!! I know, you don't have to say it, I'm one daft b........ and I know I've felt wobbly in town sometimes, so I'll get used to it. I going to decorate it with stickers and maybe a go-faster strip, yes.......
:D:D:D Love Sue

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I've had my stick for about a month now. I was embarrassed at first and now don't give 2 figs what anyone else thinks! It helps me when I'm out and about as well as being useful at home. I will get myself a rucksack next as I find carrying the shopping and handbag too much. The rucksack will keep my hands free as well as keeping me balanced. Don't be self-conscious!
    Sharmaine
    woodbon wrote:
    I've just bought something I didn't want to buy - my first walking stick :? It folds up to go into my handbag and I'll probably leave it there! :( Checked on a web site and the right side to use it is the good side, BUT that would mean using my weaker, painful hand :? Still, I although I feel it would useful to use, I will feel very self concous using it around my home towns, as I may see someone I know and they'll think I'm making a big fuss. Its OK in the Village here, because we have no pavements and the lanes are narrow and bendy and sometimes you have to walk on the verge which is like a rough field. In fact I've used my lake district walking pole here and seen ordinary walkers, all with poles. So thats OK!!! I know, you don't have to say it, I'm one daft b........ and I know I've felt wobbly in town sometimes, so I'll get used to it. I going to decorate it with stickers and maybe a go-faster strip, yes.......
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    i had my walking stick given to me, i think he was more embaressed handing it over to me!! i "made it myown"by putting flower stickers on it, it looks pretty instead of feeling you are using an ugly defeating object...if you see what i mean, still dont like using the flippin thing tho'!!
    Sally.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Sue

I think everyone feels the same when using a walking stick to begin with, but eventually you will come to think of it as your friend. If you feel a bit wobbly in town, it is far better to use your stick than to risk falling. I refer to mine as a fashion accessory, and I couldn't manage without it. The only drawback I have found is that it can get in the way a bit when shopping.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Hi Sue I feel for you I had to use one for about 18 months before my tkr and never really got my head around having to use it. However, I did have fun making up stories about why I had to use it including skiing accidents and others that you don't want to hear on here! :lol: This just got past people giving me that poor you look. But I think that whatever makes our days easier to manage is a good thing. Chin up!
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi Sue
    Welcome to the club!! I was quite self conscious at first, feeling embarassed etc.. Although I didn`t buy myself a discreet stick! It is pink with flower all over it. I bought a wrist strap to put on mine as I was always letti g it fall when I was paying for stuff in shops!! I am still using my crutches yet whilst out, until I get the ok from the hospital, but would feel better if I could use my stick now!!
    How things change! I even found myself looking at a purple and lilac one last week ! It must have taken over from my shoe fetish. Although I have been looking online for nice flat shoes (if they exist!!)
    NB
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    i dont think they do NB, i think its Hush Puppies or bare foot !!!
    Sally.x
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    There is a post on the young'uns forum about shoes -lots of advice about types.
    I bought some Mosholu leather moccasin style and suede sandals - comfy.I also like rocket dogs as they are wide fitting.
    Over the years I have accumulated a collection of walking sticks to stand on an umbrella stand so when I need one I will choose from a frog,pheasant,monkey or twisty wood or just plain depending on my mood.Joan has the right idea it's part of your ensemble.
    Linda H 8)
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    I agree with the idea of walking stick as fashion accessory - I've got a purple metallic one and a pink flowery one as well as plain black.

And I agree that although you may feel self-conscious, it is better to be safe and stable than wobbly and worried.

A wrist strap is essential, I find.

And an alternative to a rucksack (which I've never been able to get on with) is a shoulder bag with a nice long strap which you can put across your body i.e. bag on one hip and strap on the opposite shoulder - if you see what I mean. That way, the bag is secure against your body and you can rummage in it to your heart's content!

If you notice, quite a lot of non-stick users wear their bags this way these days - I think it's to do with security and it's become almost fashionable!

So step out with your head held high and wield your walking stick with pride!

Wendy
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Sue
    Yeah apparently (or so the consultant told me the other day when he was telling me that I probably would never be the same again ater my THR) you use it on the opposite side which does seem strange doesnt it you would think you would need it on the bad side.
    I know what you mean and can imagine how you would feel by using it, but hey if you need it, use it.
    Oh and I saw a lady the other day with a really cool one that was a proper girlie one with flowers on, I decided there and then that when I get one it will be one like that. I also saw a youngish woman with a really old fashioned one like my grandad used to have, I certainly wouldnt even go out if I had one like that.
    I am becoming obsessed with walking sticks. ha ha
    Denise
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    denpen wrote:
    Hi Sue
    Yeah apparently (or so the consultant told me the other day when he was telling me that I probably would never be the same again ater my THR) you use it on the opposite side which does seem strange doesnt it you would think you would need it on the bad side.
    I know what you mean and can imagine how you would feel by using it, but hey if you need it, use it.
    Oh and I saw a lady the other day with a really cool one that was a proper girlie one with flowers on, I decided there and then that when I get one it will be one like that. I also saw a youngish woman with a really old fashioned one like my grandad used to have, I certainly wouldnt even go out if I had one like that.
    I am becoming obsessed with walking sticks. ha ha
    Denise

Hi All
    I was using a stick that my stepfather had given to me . It was the metallic NHS ones and was actually too long for me and couldnt be shortened any more. I needed it mainly for stairs but increasingly when i go out especially if I take the dog to fields or woods. It always made me feel like an invalid. I bought a pretty coloured one after reading about some of those that a few of you have on the site and I cant believe how differently i feel about it. It looks far more like a hicking stick and i dont feel like i'm ill every time I use it.
    love Gillx :lol:
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    woodbon wrote:

so, is it a walking stick or a walking pole??
    I have gotten over any inhibitions about using my pole after talking to hikers who use them all the time. and if someone thinks I am in need of pity for walking with one , with some infirmity, i can always tell them I have OA. or something.
    I have never had a negative thing said , these past few weeks, and take my pole with me on all my walks now. along with wearing my two knee supports, it has utterly transformed life for me. now I am back to my long walks, ten miles is easy now, if I so wish, and so far I have had no flare ups , but a pole or stick, it is all the same thing.
    I reason if it stops OA going any worse who cares what the world thinks!! before even short walks were becoming painful to both my knees and hips, I still dread winter though. don't we all.

Nick
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Welcome to the club. I can't really say I'm a bonafide member though as wimp out using it outdoors :oops:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    It had its first public outing yesterday. Felt a bit self conious but, got on fine. I did get some shop doors held open for me!

This morning we went for a stroll thorough a bluebell wood and I forgot to take a stick. walking along towards the end my leg gave way a bit and I had to grab my husband. :? I did wish I had taken a stick or my walking pole. :) The woods were lovely, though, and its a nice gentle walk on level ground and not very far. Love Sue
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    I have, in the last few years, stopped worrying about what others might think of me! Once you can do that, it makes life a whole lot easier :)

It makes sense to use whatever aids we can to make life easier for us doesn't it? A friend of mine - a very trendy 30-something - uses her cane (note cane, never ever stick) with such panache that no-one ever see's it as a disability aid, more an extension of her flamboyant personality.

So get out there and use your cane with pride g050.gif

Jackie x[/b]