enbrel and humira

helpful
helpful Member Posts: 12
edited 3. May 2009, 09:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am new on this site and after reading the forums thought that it is such a friendly and useful site so I joined.

I am starting enbrel for psoriatic arthritis but my nurse thought that humira might be a better choice. I will also have to continue to take MTX with enbrel which I dont really want to do and I was told that you do not need MTX with humira.

Has anyone heard or had any experience with enbrel or humira.

Thanks loads
Abi :D

Comments

• northumbrian
    northumbrian Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Abi
    I have PA and have been on Humira for about 18 months and it works very well for me. I could not tolerate mtx so I tried Humira without it.
    My very grumpy and impatient rhumy was very sceptical that Humira would work without mtx but for me it worked immediately, I felt a difference within the first 24 hrs and it just got better over the next few weeks. It is a very big decision to go onto such new and powerful drugs and it is not a decision to take lightly. I am in my late fifties and felt my life was over until the Humira started to work and I felt had nothing to loose by trying it. The severe fatigue is much reduced, the psoriasis is completely clear and I can use my hands again. I am not "cured" I still take diclofenac every day and my feet are sore after a long day (who feet aren't sore at my age). It took many frustrating years to get the right treatment but now I am so grateful for my new lease of life.
    TP
  • helpful
    Hi Abi
    I have PA and have been on Humira for about 18 months and it works very well for me. I could not tolerate mtx so I tried Humira without it.
    My very grumpy and impatient rhumy was very sceptical that Humira would work without mtx but for me it worked immediately, I felt a difference within the first 24 hrs and it just got better over the next few weeks. It is a very big decision to go onto such new and powerful drugs and it is not a decision to take lightly. I am in my late fifties and felt my life was over until the Humira started to work and I felt had nothing to loose by trying it. The severe fatigue is much reduced, the psoriasis is completely clear and I can use my hands again. I am not "cured" I still take diclofenac every day and my feet are sore after a long day (who feet aren't sore at my age). It took many frustrating years to get the right treatment but now I am so grateful for my new lease of life.
    TP

Thanks so much for your reply, it really gives me a positive feeling about it, I just hope my rhumy will change me from enbrel to humira without such a fuss !!! I am due to see him tomorrow so I hope he is having a good day.

Keep feeling well
    Abi :):)
  • marief
    marief Member Posts: 26
    Hi

I've been on Enbrel and dont take MTX as in the passed it made me very ill.(I take ARAVA also called Lefiunomid)

good luck with it

marie
  • bevman
    bevman Member Posts: 107
    hi abi
    my husband takes embrel he is also on mtx and salazaparin oh and steroids the embrel has not had as good effect as we thought it would so they are keeping him on it for at least six month,s we hope next time we go back they will change it he worries about the side affects but i suppose when you are in pain you will try anything .hope everything goe,s ok with you Alison
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Abi yes been on the enbrel and mtx together i have ra and pa, rheumy said that the enbrel will work better if you take it with the mtx. once it kicks in you can start to reduce the mtx dose. sadly it seems i have some sort of bad reaction to the enbrel so have been taken off it, dont worry not all people get side effects i found the side effects was just a bad tummy a few hours after the injection and great for the rest of the week, it really was starting to work on me and i thought
    i had found the drug that worked for me alas not so, good luck and take care o and welcome to the site catch you round.
    colin
  • helpful
    bevman wrote:
    hi abi
    my husband takes embrel he is also on mtx and salazaparin oh and steroids the embrel has not had as good effect as we thought it would so they are keeping him on it for at least six month,s we hope next time we go back they will change it he worries about the side affects but i suppose when you are in pain you will try anything .hope everything goe,s ok with you Alison

thanks alot
    abi
  • helpful
    colinone wrote:
    Hi Abi yes been on the enbrel and mtx together i have ra and pa, rheumy said that the enbrel will work better if you take it with the mtx. once it kicks in you can start to reduce the mtx dose. sadly it seems i have some sort of bad reaction to the enbrel so have been taken off it, dont worry not all people get side effects i found the side effects was just a bad tummy a few hours after the injection and great for the rest of the week, it really was starting to work on me and i thought
    i had found the drug that worked for me alas not so, good luck and take care o and welcome to the site catch you round.
    colin

thanks alot colin,
    I am really hoping that the enbrel will work for me and I spoke to my rhumy and he said that he will try and wean me off mtx soon, so hopefully it will be ok
    feel good and thanks for replying
    abi :D