Hip resurfacing

Options
robinvn
robinvn Member Posts: 5
edited 30. Apr 2009, 15:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
I was told my a surgeon 3 weeks ago that I'll need Hip resurfacing sugery. Everything was explained to me, so that's no problem. The problem I'm having is the pain at the moment.
I have arthritis around the hip joint and also there is nothing between the joints now, as it's all worn away. I've been a postman for over 30 years, so it's the job that's done it.
At the moment, I'm getting about 2-3 hours sleep a night only. No fun, when I have to be up for work at 3.30am.
I have 3 kinds of painkiller. They are pretty good for the hip pain but the problems in my hip are pressig on the sciatic nerve and it's that pain that wakes me all the time. I just don't know what to do about it now :cry: The pain is worse, when I relax, so I have been able to walk still for my job but even that is becoming harder now. Still waiting for the operation but in the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions as how to ease the pain, I'd like to hear :D
I've tried hot pads-cold pads-electrical stimulation, massage-Chinese hot oils. Accupuncture. Still have the pain though.
Thanks for reading :D
Rob

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Robin
    I had that type of nerve pain/sciatica before my THR and my gp prescribed Amitryptiline which I gradually increased the dose, as per gp`s instruction, and it did help. I still had some breakthrough pain but the awful sciatic pain was greatly reduced. There are other types of meds for nerve pain but Amitryptiline seems to be the first line prescription.
    Have you tried this?
    Good luck with your surgery etc..
    NB
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Rob
    Do you sleep with a pillow between you knees if you sleep on your side? I do and it does help a bit with that sciatic pain. Also on 25mg amitrip, which does give me a good nights' sleep which is vital isn't it?
    Take care
    Toni x
  • robinvn
    robinvn Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Toni
    Thanks for the reply.
    For the last few nights, I have tried a pillow actually. Maybe Ill try a larger pillow tonight and see if that helps. Appreciate your advice and hope thinks with you are well :D
    Take care too...
    Robin

frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Rob
    Do you sleep with a pillow between you knees if you sleep on your side? I do and it does help a bit with that sciatic pain. Also on 25mg amitrip, which does give me a good nights' sleep which is vital isn't it?
    Take care
    Toni x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    sorry i meant to reply earlier, i had the same ptoblem before i had my hip resurfaced a few years ago.
    i went to a disability shop and bought a special cushion, it was sold as a knee one, it had velcro straps that went round your knees if i remember rightly! i found it kept my hips in a good position and helped me alot.
    if you like i'll see if i can find one online so you know what i'm talking about, pm if you like re hip resurfacing.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    if you type in knee pillow on ebay they start from about £6.
    below is a link to a random mobility shop i found by doing a quick search, just so you can see what they look like. i hope this helps

http://www.youreableshop.co.uk/modules/shop/searchrated.asp?lookfor=knee+pillow&sa.x=5&sa.y=10&sa=Search