new to this site

jaffacake
jaffacake Member Posts: 5
edited 1. May 2009, 19:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just become a member of this site,as i have no one to talk to that understands the pain i am often in.I only started with symptons before xmas and they have slowly got worse and more frequent.I get really bad pains in my knees and wrists and can barely walk or sleep.Sometimes i cant get in and out of the bath or even squeeze toothpaste onto my brush.What i would like to ask other sufferers is wheather it is normal to be in lots of pain for a couple of weeks and then go a few days or even a week without any pain.I sometimes think my family think im putting it on because i can be pain free for a while at times :?:

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Jaffacake, welcome to the Forum. I joined in January after my diagnosis at a total loss to find out what was happening to me. I'm sorry you are in so much pain, you need to speak to your GP, firstly to make sure you are receiving the best medication possible and secondly for further investigation to find out exactly what's wrong.

To answer your other question, yes it is normal I'm afraid to feel pain very severely and then less another day. The worse thing is you can never tell, except maybe if it's bad weather, when that is going to be. It plays havoc with our life as you are frightened to plan outings etc for fear of them landing on a bad day. You have done the right thing coming here for advice. I was in a bad way in January and I can say wholeheartedly I am in a much better place mentally purely because of this site. Learning about your condition and getting support from others really helps and that old saying is very true - time is a healer. You will meet some wonderful funny people here who really know how to cheer you up on those bad days. The chit-chat forum is great for a bit of light relief.

I hope you feel better soon, take care

Eck
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi Jaffacake,Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will get a lot of helpful advice from members,I certinally have since I joined. :) I was diagnosed last Dec. and I have OA in the hands,wrists,shoulders,neck,knees and feet and the pain can be unbearable.Like you,I have trouble doing even the smallest of jobs,getting dressed takes ages,opening tins and packets have become a chore and I never know what it's like to have a good nights sleep.Has your GP given you any sort of pain relief?If so,does it help?I expect you find family and friends don't really understand what pain you are in but all of us here know what it's like so anytime you feel low,just log in and get some support.I hope you will soon have a better day.Take care,Breane.x :lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I'm glad you've found this site, and welcome.

I agree with everything thats been said, it is strange that sometimes the pain eases off for a while, only to come back. But as has been said, you do need to see your GP and get treatment.

I think the worst thing is the unpredictablity of the pain. Its so hard to plan and it can spoil things you've been looking forward to, but with help life will get better. :) And don't forget to tell us how things are going the good and the bad because we like to know.
    Love Suex
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi Jaffacake
    I joined this site in January when I was diagnosed with OA. Today has been a very bad day for me I have been in a lot of pain, so much so that I had to sit down at work for most of the morning which is not good when you work in a shop by yourself (still at least my bosses cant see me eh!!!) some days it doesnt seen too bad then others I can hardly bear it and the pain killers seem to do absolutely nothing at all. Keep posting on here and you will get loads of support, tips and help when you need it and you will be able to help others with their problems too, so its great all round.
    Take care
    Denise.x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jaffacake,

Welcome to the site and I hope you find it as useful as I have. I got oa and have had it in my back for a long time and I have to say my pain control seems to be quite good. I think that is the first thing to get sorted out with your gp as it is much better to have it all controlled. Anyway you take care and welcome. Cris

Denise,

Sorry you are having a bad day (( )) for you and take care, Cris
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Jaffacake,

Welcome to the site and I hope you find it as useful as I have. I got oa and have had it in my back for a long time and I have to say my pain control seems to be quite good. I think that is the first thing to get sorted out with your gp as it is much better to have it all controlled. Anyway you take care and welcome. Cris

Denise,

Sorry you are having a bad day (( )) for you and take care, Cris

Hi jaffacake
    Welcome to the site from me too. I have RA and spinal problems. It is how most of us seem to find it. One day the pain is so bad even the most basic of tasks is difficult and other days we get a bit of a break from it (Then we all put on our hot outfits and go clubbing!!!)
    Seriously though, you do need to get yourself sorted out medically so you are on the best treatment and painkillers. This site is brilliant for advice and the people on it really understand where you are coming from and are so helpful. You can ask questions, have a moan, or just a chat. I joined in March and it was the best thing i could have done. Keep us posted as to how you are getting on
    e055.gif
    Gillx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hello Jaffacake
    Not much i can add to whats been said , The whole thing is so unpredictable. What people dont understand is that you can feel so ill and in so much pain yet look ok. Well welcome to the site its nice to meet you and i do hope you start feeling better soon.
    Take Care
    Colin
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Jaffacake

Welcome to the site. You say that no-one understands the pain you are in. Well, we all do here, so you can be sure of sympathy and advice on this Forum. I'm so sorry you are struggling with so much pain. As everyone else has said, I hope you can get some help from your GP to manage the pain. You can ask questions on the Helpline on this site too, or ring if you want to talk to someone.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • jaffacake
    jaffacake Member Posts: 5
    joanlawson wrote:
    Hi Jaffacake

Welcome to the site. You say that no-one understands the pain you are in. Well, we all do here, so you can be sure of sympathy and advice on this Forum. I'm so sorry you are struggling with so much pain. As everyone else has said, I hope you can get some help from your GP to manage the pain. You can ask questions on the Helpline on this site too, or ring if you want to talk to someone.

Joan
    Thanks for all your replies and advice its really helped.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Jaffacake

Welcome to the forum. You will get lots of good advice here. Sounds like RA am I right?

Love Vonski x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Jaffacake
    Welcome form me too!
    I hope you have been to the Doctors and got your diagnossi or at least started the ball rolling. If not then the others are right - you must go because there is pain releif out there.
    Get some A/C leaflets and let the others read them - they may well beleive you are in pain, but hope you will be miraculoulsy cured.
    Lots of family and fiends struggle to think of us suffering and in pain andwould rather think like that.
    In the meantime this is the place to come on and moan - we do understand and beleive you.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Hi Jaffacake and welcome,
    colinone wrote:
    Not much i can add to whats been said , The whole thing is so unpredictable. What people dont understand is that you can feel so ill and in so much pain yet look ok. Well welcome to the site its nice to meet you and i do hope you start feeling better soon.
    Take Care
    Colin

As Colin says it can be so unpredicatble and this makes it difficult for people to understand. Hope you get a good medication regime sorted as this can make a big difference as to how you cope and the way the disease progresses.

Take care and hope you feel better soon,
    Marie x
  • twinney
    twinney Member Posts: 80
    Hello Jaffacake.
    I only joined this site a couple of days ago and have already experienced the kindness of the other members with advice they have given me
    So welcome to you ,
    Best Wishes
    Lyn
  • achealot
    achealot Member Posts: 22
    Hi jaffacake

I've had oa for about 17 years now it started in the hips and now its all over the bod, I still get about ok even though in a lot of pain,I dont have a limp and I look normal(well that depends who you ask) but its true people dont believe you if you look ok .
    my mum is the only member of my family who understands cos she has it aswell and shes had 2 hip replacements .
    My so called brother on the other hand thinks im a fraud cos i have the odd day that I feel fine and when I feel fine I want to make the most of it by doing jobs to help my mum such as a bit of gardening so he decided to grass on me to the DWP and said that I was working . luky for me they believed me.
    So unfortunately you will get people looking down at you or disbelieving you but try not to worry about them they're the ones with the sickness ,we just have disabilities.

take care

oh and welcome to the site

Bren
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    jaffacake wrote:
    What i would like to ask other sufferers is wheather it is normal to be in lots of pain for a couple of weeks and then go a few days or even a week without any pain.I sometimes think my family think im putting it on because i can be pain free for a while at times :?:

Hi jaffacake

Sounds like 'normal RA' to me.
    n040.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif