hip replacement vs arthriscopy / labral tear dillema

claireaquarious26
claireaquarious26 Member Posts: 3
edited 1. May 2009, 12:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am really glad I've found it. I've recently found out that at age 37 I have a dysplastic right hip with severe arthritis, a labral tear and subchondral cysts. I would love to hear from anyone else in the same boat or who has been through something similar. The "injury" started out as what I thought was a running injury but after seeing physios and being referred to the hospital for sciatica I found out about my hip problem. And there was me thinking I'd just get sent to another physio....
I have been given 2 different opinions as to treatment options by 2 different consultants - both NHS but different hospitals. One consultant said that because of the extent of the arthritis a total hip replacement is the only option, but because of my age, I must wait until the pain is unbearable. He said that the arthritis is causing the pain and not the tear. The other guy said that he could perform an arthriscopy to remove the labral tear and buy me more time before THR. He thinks the tear is causing the pain rather than the arthritis. It all sounds pretty major/traumatic to me - even the keyhole op requires 6 weeks not driving and up to 6 months before you can tell if there has been any improvement.
Has anyone else been in the same position where they have had to choose or has anyone had an arthriscopy for a labral tear. Am completely confused as to what I should do.
Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I had a THR 5yrs ago and I would say if you have an offer of surgery which will give you more time before THR then thats would be the obvious thing to do... of course its going to be up to you to decide 'when'. When you can no longer function and its interrupting your sleep is my 'NO MORE' point.. as you say both surgeries are pretty major but once you have the THR then thats it at least you are left with the THR if you go for the lesser of the two..
    I am sure someone will be along with experience of your dilemma ...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with the same in March 07 and the only option I was given was hip resurfacing or the replacement. As I am allergic to nickel the consultant would not. I agree with the previous post if there are other alternatives been offered to you I would def try them first.

Collette
  • claireaquarious26
    claireaquarious26 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your thoughts both :)
    Colette, have you had any treatment since March 2007 or did you decide to wait for replacement? My consultant didn't offer hip resurfacing - I can't remember why exactly, maybe it had something to do with the extent of the arthritis, although I remember him saying he would do a ceramic hip replacement as women were quite often allergic to metal.
    I guess the scope makes sense - I am just really scared of having any type of operation at all! I have a 6 year old to look after and it would be really difficult to do the school run and we live in a rural area.
    Just wondering if you were diagnosed in 2007, how is your pain now? I wondering how long my hip will last if I do nothing. Thanks!
    Claire
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Hiya,

I am thirty five and on tues was eight weeks post op from a hip replacement. Ceramic on ceramic. I really wanted hip resurfacing but as I am allergic to nickel the consultant would not do it. Had the other option been offered to me I would def have taken it. The dysplasia is in my other hip so at my review apt I want to ask about other options for it which do not involve a replacement. Hope this helps any other questions just ask

Collette