Human Resorces Meeting

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
Hello,
I've just had a letter from Human Resorces to ask me in to discuss a report from the medical examination I had in March. This is the second letter I've had the first one stated that I they would call me in after the Occy Health Doc had a report from my GP as he thought I would be unable to do my job again. I also recienved a copy of that report. Today HR sent a letter asking to go to a meeting about the medical report they had enclosed, but no report was enclosed. The meeting is Stage 3 sickness policy.

I rang the HR person on the letter, to find shes on annual leave and gave someone else to contact, so I did. She looked at my file and said it only contained the 1 orginal report from March, nothing further, and this must be a mistake. :( but she would have to talk to her boss, who, guess what? Is an holiday today....... :shock :shock: :(:( . So I rang the union, and you'll never guess what the person I needed to speak to is......... On annual leave today!!!!! :shock: :? :( Anyway they are sending me a copy of the councils sickness policies, so I'll be better informed. :roll: :( I think and everyone seems to think that its some sort of 'Administrative error'. I want to know if I have to go next week as its a bank holiday week and I'd like to take someone with me, but the later it gets before knowing, the harder it is to arrange.

I don't want to ask my husband to come with me, because hes had enough time of work lately, because of me, I've thought of the Union, but don't want to look as if I'm going in 'heavy handed'. I certainly don't want to have to ask for the meeting to be cancelled, but it looks as if they will have to, or get their paper-work in order.

Why is life so complicated. :shock: :x :) Love Sue PS Sorry to go on, to anyone who's got this far. :D Love Sue

Comments

• bevman
    bevman Member Posts: 107
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi sue i no how you feel i have had problems like that with work i am only just geting help of my union because of holidays and people being busy to get back and they do not realize how frustrating it is as if RA isn,t bad enough.laurence
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Hi Sue

I'm glad you came on here to talk to us and no, you didn't go on - it's not your fault the HR department is cr@p. Do you think it's the same the world over?

I would keep your meeting, make sure you keep notes from it and take someone with you, your union rep is the best bet. I wouldn't worry about coming across "serious" or anything - you're entitled to take someone with you and you should, if only for support. Make sure you meet with this person beforehand to discuss the stuff up to the meeting and what's happened.

Have you kept copies of all paperwork and conversations/meetings? If not, I would do so from now on and also try to recall dates of meetings of letters and write them down to refer to during the meeting. If you have, then brilliant, you can play them at their own game.

Sorry, it's me going on now, but I'm actually a manager for the Fire Service (employed by local council) and I have an inkling of how these things work :-)

And let me know how you get on, I'm FAR too nosey to be left in the dark!

Nx
  • woodbon
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice = to tell the truth, I want to include the union, as it is important to have knowledgeable input and help. Its an important stage in my life. Also, in a situation like that I tend to forget things, so yes, I will take note! I do have a few notes and all the officel letters and stuff. I will let you know whats going on as soon as I know :!: :wink: Love Sue
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi sue
    You must feel very frustrated with the whole situation. It is nerve wracking enough having these types of meetings without them leaving everything up in the air.
    The union is there to support you and thats what you pay for! They will have more experience in these situations, and with the union there, there will be no blinding you with jargon etc..
    I hope you get a date confirmed soon and you can get on with sorting it out.
    I have got a meeting with HR, and 2 bosses next week to discuss my sickness and hopefully my phased return to work. I am nervous about what they will say and expect.
    Hope you are ok
    NB
  • woodbon
    Hello

I am a bit fed up. The Union are arranging for someone to come to the meeting with me and I've talked to him and hes talked to HR. Apparently, an independant doctor has seen my file and agrees with occy health that the only option is early retirement. This is the main reason for the meeting. They do have another report but did not send it as it said the same thing as occy health?????? If the report is different then the union rep will ask for an ajounment and copies of documents. I still don't understand why they didn't just include a copy of the report from the individual doctor, as this is the subject of the meeting. Still, I shall go along and see what its going to be. The union rep is comming with me. I don't suppose that will make me popular. Still, I need some help, even just to remeber things! :wink: Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    As we'd say here Sue. Go in "tooled up". I used to work for the Council and part of my job was taking part in "meetings", trust me if you're going into a meeting with them they will be doing exactly the same. They really do their homework, they will try and find anything they can to back themselves up. I don't say this to worry you, only to prepare you. Get as much info and support as you can, letters, witness statements, everything, bombard them. Take a Union rep in, it could be the difference between a bad or good decision. I've seen loads of people who were not in a Union treated abysmally for things that were very minor yet have seen Union members treated more favourably because they had someone in there that really fought their corner. If your rep can't find all the info they need they will do everything in their power to postpone any meetings until they do. Try not to take family, emotions get in the way often and tempers can flare. A Union rep will fight tooth and nail but will not get upset if anyone talks a certain way to you. Good luck
  • woodbon
    Hi,
    I have arranged for the a Union Rep to come with me. The Union are sending me the 'Improving Attendance Policy' which is the reason they are calling this meeting. I have all the paperwork, apart from the report from the independent doctor which they say was enclosed in the last letter, but wasn't. Apparently, the doctor agrees with Occy Health, I'm not too happy about that, but the Union Rep said if theirs any problems, he'll ask for a postponment and all the paper work. So I'm going with his experience. Love Sue
  • ninakang
    Hi Sue,

Good girl, you know it makes sense :-)

As for this doctor's report, insist that they send it to you and postpone the meeting if it's not arrived by then. You need time to go over it with your union rep. Is there any way you could provide a different medical report to back you up?

Nx
  • woodbon
    Thank you to everyone for the support and information. I feel a bit more clued up now and have been reading and going thorough my paper work. The Union rep said if we don't feel we've enough documentation, he will stop the meeting. I've never been in this position before. Theres a first time for everything! :wink: Love Sue
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    do as the good people advise and go tooled up , if you have a union use them , good luck :)

what is a union lol wish i had had one instead of a little tin pot firm ,
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • ninakang
    That's one of the best things about working for the Fire Service - they have a very scary union - in fact, they usually have a job getting rid of people!

Keep us all informed though - when is your interview/ meeting?

Nx
  • woodbon
    ninakang wrote:
    That's one of the best things about working for the Fire Service - they have a very scary union - in fact, they usually have a job getting rid of people!

Nx
    Hi, my meeting is Wednesday so not long to wait! The Union is Unison - I don't know what they'r like as I've never had to use them or known anyone. We are a small unit so don't have many staff. They're big though and I think they carry a fair amount of clout! Blimmy I do hate all this. If it wasn'tfor me pension, I'd just leave, but that would be plain silly I know. :? Love Sue
  • eckstardeluxe
    woodbon wrote:
    ninakang wrote:

Nx
    Hi, my meeting is Wednesday so not long to wait! The Union is Unison - I don't know what they'r like as I've never had to use them or known anyone. We are a small unit so don't have many staff. They're big though and I think they carry a fair amount of clout! Blimmy I do hate all this. If it wasn'tfor me pension, I'd just leave, but that would be plain silly I know. :? Love Sue

Hi Sue, Unison were who I was involved with whilst at the Council, very good reps I met then. A few I wish I'd had with me on a couple of occasions. I'm lucky we have PCS, they are very good also. Helped me out once or twice at work with a decision. Once after my PND they tried to put me on Stage 2 attendance and they wiped the floor with them. The guy who represented me said that is what they do it for. To see someone beat a decision or keep their job all because of them.
  • ninakang
    Hi Sue

Good luck with your meeting on Wednesday and don't forget to come on here and tell us all about it, I'm far too nosey to be kept waiting!

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    ninakang wrote:
    Hi Sue

Good luck with your meeting on Wednesday and don't forget to come on here and tell us all about it, I'm far too nosey to be kept waiting!

Nx

Me too Sue, hope it goes well x
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Just to wish you good luck for tomorrow, hon. I, like bertyboy, don't have a union - if I did I would be worried to ask them for help. I'm wondering if I should be retired on health grounds so I at least get my pension instead of leaving with nothing.
    Let us all know how you get on
    Pennie Xx