Cervical Spondylosis

Options
fimbly
fimbly Member Posts: 5
Hi, I'm 34 years old and on Friday I was diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis and ?arthritis. My G.P. said I should be glad that it isn't something more serious that would need surgery (?!) Because of my symptoms, the neurologist had been looking at something that causes demyelination.

The pain has been much worse for the last couple of weeks, and it is really getting me down at the moment. I have been prescribed clonazepam to try to reduce the twitches/muscle spasms, but haven't been given any pain relief. I am using a TENS machine, but this only takes the edge off the pain.

I would be very grateful for any advice, and please could you point me in the direction of some information about cervical spondylosis?

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, sorry no1 has answered you yet im sure the team will be along after bank holiday.
    i have cervical spond,as far as im told it osteoarthritis(wear & tear,degeneration of the spine)the other things its called.
    the tingling & spasms could indicate a trapped nerve.i was given diazapam for this(short term use)
    i have oa in most joints & my medication is,400 ibuprofen ,cocodomol 30/500,zomorph 10ml(slow release) oramorph 10ml(liquid)& 40m amptripyline.(sleeping tabs)
    its took a while to get this meds( trail & error).my pain is not controlled completely,now im being refered to pain clinic & joint injections.
    you really have to make a nuisance of yourself to get the right medication. keep on at gp for pain releif.
    hopefully some1 else will answer better than me,but i know how painful it is. good luck. post on arthr site for good advice too. debs
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi
    Cervical Spondylosis is another term for Osteoarthritis of the neck joints - degeneration of the cartilage, often called 'wear & tear'.
    It can be a painful condition and you should be prescribed some medication to control your pain. If your GP is not able to do this then ask for a referral to a Pain Clinic where the doctors are experts in pain management. A referral to a Physiotherapist can also be helpful.
    Many people learn distraction and relaxation techniques as part of their pain management. Our booklet 'Coping with Pain' can be downloaded from our website but we have other information on managing pain and on Cervical Spondylosis that we can post to you if you send us an email with your address or ring us on the freephone number for a chat.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • sammysoo
    sammysoo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this forum, so thought I would say hello. I have suffered for nearly 20 years with cervical spond I also have tennis elbow and today have been to docs as my wrists and big toes are hurting. Got to have blood tests and he has give me different tabs. I have laser treatment on my spondylosis every six weeks I go to the pain clinic, it seems to help. I have tried everything!! physio, accupuncture, infra red been to neck school diff tabs, heat rubs etc its such a painful thing, it makes me cry with frustration. You have to just keep your chin up and try the diff things available untill you find whats right for you. take care :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    Options
    Hi Sammysoo,

Just thought I'd say hello as you mentioned you were new. I don't know whether you may have seen our self management information - we send out packs if you email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and let us know your name and address (just say what kind of arthritis you have or what you're having problems with and we tailor the information we send).
    Obviously if anyone reading these postings would like to read some more information you are all welcome to send us an email and we'll be happy to send out information (it's all free and confidential, and no information goes on any kind of database)

all the best
    Guy
  • sammysoo
    sammysoo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you, I will send for the info pack, I need as much help as possible.