what are nodules on fingers

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 7. Jun 2009, 02:06 in Say Hello Archive
Being newly diagnosed with RA, I do not understand everything yet so could someone tell me what nodules are please?

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    from my experience they are nobbley bumps ate the base of your fingers, not sure how they happen but my rheumy said they are very common.
    i have a few that are not causing any problems but i did have one at the base of my ring finger that was qite big, my finger kept dislocating and was painful when rheumy felt it she told me it was a large nodule and she injected a steroid into it. a few days later it felt much better and wasn't dislocating anymore, so all good!
    sorry i can't explain better but i'm sure someone else can!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

Just to add to what Suzster says, in my experience, nodules can appear on any joint and some can get quite big. They can also be painful - so if you get any lumps or bumps on your joints you'll probably find that's what they are - it's always wise to mention them to your GP or Rheumy if any appear.

Not all of them are here to stay either - I had a large painful one at the base of my spine, my Rheumy and I decided to leave it to see what happened and it did go away on it's own.

Nodules are just another 'joy' of arthritis :roll: :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi lidalegs
    thanks for that answer it's something new I've learnt. I'm not used to all this at the moment.
    I have just given birth to my first one. Not sure if it's a girl or a boy yet :roll:
    I'll see what happens to it thanks again
    trisher :D
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Trisher
    Welcome to the site and its nice to meet you. Noduals if thats how you spell it. over 20% of RA sufferers get noduals its a build up of some sort of tissue but google it and have a read. I have them on my elbows hands and feet. they normaly grow on your boney bits, dont forget to join the guys around the site catch you later.
    Colin
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi suzster

Thanks for your reply. Every bit of information from you is helping me understand things a bit better. :?
    There are so many questions but you cannot sit in the doctors room and think of all the things you want to ask knowing there is a lot of other patients sitting outside waiting. :oops: beside that I was sweating like mad and had to get out for some air.
    Hope to speak to you soon Trisher :D
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    sorry, only just saw this! no worries trisher, glad i can help abit!! my nodule on my finger has gone, thank goodness as it was painful, but fingers crossed the injection did the trick.
  • mrsmopp
    mrsmopp Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi Trish

I had a two large Nodules on my elbow. They werent painful, but didnt look to good. They lasted for about 6 months then just dissapeared, Doctor said it was because my medication was kicking in. Take Care x