swimming breast stroke

twinney
twinney Member Posts: 80
Hello
Am 56 and have just been diagnosed with severe OA in both my hips and lower back.
Have just started swimming lessons and and am learning breaststroke which I enjoy.
My teacher is concerned that the leg movements in breastroke, may make matters worse with my hips.
What do you think please?
Thanks

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Twinney

Your swimming teacher is right to be concerned about leg movements in breaststroke making matters worse. Any stroke including breaststroke that involves twisting and kicking out at awkward or unnatural angles is not good if you have arthritis in your hips or your knees. Avoid any activity that involves twisting at an awkward angle.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes

Simona
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    HI Tinnew
    Sorry to but in but I was told by orthopedic surgeon NOT to do breaststroke as it causes you to arch your back and puts pressure on lumbar area??
    Back stroke is my fav, but I do bash into people and once hada hUGE bruise on my arm from reaching the side without realising it!!!! :oops:
    Take care
    Toni x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Tinnew

Something I was told by my Dr. was that you shouldn't hold your head up out of the water as it puts enormous strain on your neck. He said it can cause a lot of problems.

Love Vonski x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Twinny,

I wonder whether you'd like us to post you out an information pack for self-management and exercise with oa?

If so, just email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk (mention that you were on the forum, so we know what to send you.)

hope that helps
    Guy
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    I have started swimming, I can only do breastroke even not that very well. I have arthritis in my neck and knees. I have noticed when I swim, I am putting pressure on my neck. I will have to ask the physio what she thinks when I go for my first appointment.
  • ashwinid
    ashwinid Member Posts: 1
    Hi Twinney,

I've Rhumatic Arthritis, I'm searching for swimming course. I have leart swimming long back, and due to arthritis, I have lost confidence. I havent swimmed for last 5 years due to fear.
    Could you please guide me where the classes for people like us are held ? I stay in hounslow. Middlesex.

Awaiting for reply,
    Ash
  • twinney
    Hello Ash.
    I contacted my local council leisure centre, inquired about Beginners swimming lessons and booked myself on the course.
    I explained to the swimming coach that I had Arthritis and she was very supportive.
    I have never ever swam before due to an awful fear of the water, had no confidence at all, but I just decided there and then I was going to succeed and I am glad that I did.
    I have had 5 lessons in total , I love the water as it eases the pain in my hips and back.
    All the best with your swimming
    Best Wishes
  • azul60
    azul60 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Guys
    New to this forum so bare with me.
    I'm 49 and did not start swimming until I was 40.
    I have a hip problem and slight arthritic in the other hip also.
    When I do swim I use breast stroke I find this easier for me to do.
    Although, I do not use my legs too much at all
    You still get across the pool but at first is hard because you are only using your arms.
    also do not try to keep your head out of the water as this will put presure on your neck and is very sore after the swim
    The thing to do is as you swim you are pushing down with your arms which then pushes your head out the water
    and allows the breath you need.
    hard work but it works
    also in time you will realise you find a good rythym which allows you to rest your back as you swim
  • twinney
    Hello There,
    Many thanks for your advice, I am finding it hard work to learn to swim but as you have said, I too find breaststroke much easier to do.
    My teacher has taught us to swim with our heads face down in the water , blowing into the water as you go. This is good as you don't put any strain then on the neck, it took me a little while to learn though.
    Like you am trying to swim basically pushing with my arms,
    can only do a few strokes at the moment, not many in fact, but I am determined to get there in the end.
    Best Wishes
    Lyn
  • azul60
    azul60 Member Posts: 5
    twinney wrote:
    Hello There,
    Many thanks for your advice, I am finding it hard work to learn to swim but as you have said, I too find breaststroke much easier to do.
    My teacher has taught us to swim with our heads face down in the water , blowing into the water as you go. This is good as you don't put any strain then on the neck, it took me a little while to learn though.
    Like you am trying to swim basically pushing with my arms,
    can only do a few strokes at the moment, not many in fact, but I am determined to get there in the end.
    Best Wishes
    Lyn

keep with it Lynn
    its sounds as if you have a very good instructor there
  • marie48
    Oh dear after reading your post, I wonder whether I should stop going swimming. I might be doing more harm than good. I can only swim breastroke, can manage a whole length with a lot of huffs and puffs but do find it is putting pressure on my neck as I suffer from athritis there. I cannot swim with face under water.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    marie48 wrote:
    Oh dear after reading your post, I wonder whether I should stop going swimming. I might be doing more harm than good. I can only swim breastroke, can manage a whole length with a lot of huffs and puffs but do find it is putting pressure on my neck as I suffer from athritis there. I cannot swim with face under water.

hi
    i was just thinking the same, cant swim with face in water and always do breastroke but does hurt neck. may be i,ll do a bit off back stroke next time, thats the only other one i can do.
  • marie48
    I have decided to give the swimming a miss until I see physio next week. At least you can do backstroke. As I am not a very good swimmer, I was also thinking of using a float and just my feet, at least I will try not to put pressure on my neck. Also I was not very keen to use the outdoor pool in this weather as most of the time, the main pool is sectioned for lessons and I dare not go in the deep lane.