Accupuncture

markhughes1959
markhughes1959 Member Posts: 2
Hi
I suffer from perthes disease which has develped into arthritis in my hip as i have got older. My GP has suggested Accupuncture to control the pain , I have had an initial consultation and one session. The practitioniar has indicated that it will take 5-6 sessions before there is improvement which is working out to be very expensive.

What I would like to understand is will this course of treatment give longer term relief or will i need to keep up the sessions to retain any benefits. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Mark

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Mark

I am a member of the forum and have had acupuncture and it never benefited me long term. I hasten to add we are all different and I think it is probably something you may not know until the 6 sessions are over. I enjoyed my acupuncture sessions very much. I felt great after a session but by the next week my discomfort and pain had returned. I have had acupuncture for neck and shoulder and knee pain.

Acupuncture is available on the NHS and I wonder why you were not offered this service or did you not wish to wait too long for an appointment to become available.

I hope the acupuncture works for you.

Best wishes
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As Elna says, the results of acupuncture do vary for each person so wait and see how you are after the 6 sessions.
    It is possible to get acupuncutre on the NHS so do ask your GP if he can refer you.
    Best wishes
    Val