Big Butterfly Count

Options
lurch1
lurch1 Member Posts: 561
edited 19. Jul 2013, 17:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi all
hoping this may interest some of you...........
I take part in a survey each year, to collect numbers of different species of butterflies.
It just means sitting in the garden for 15 mins each day, then sending results-
www.bigbutterflycount.org gives more details, the survey runs from 20th july - 11th august
thank you
cris

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Looks interesting, I've seen a few around but not that many, that said there's not to many bugs in general, I'm still putting bird food out and their going through it like there's no tomorrow, we've had loads of adults with young coming in we've even got a pair of bull finches that visit daily now and thats the first time in all my time here thats happened.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    OOooh lurch, it sounds good but I have to sit in the shade and my butterflies all adore the ceanothus which is in full sun all day. From the shade, I can't tell what they are. I have noticed many more coloured ones (Usually Painted Ladies, I think) and far fewer Cabbage Whites this year.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That does sound interesting Lurch, I am afraid my garden looks onto a public car park I never sit in the garden as I would feel like a goldfish in a bowl, also the garden is stone chipped and we don't have any plants either, so not very interesting for butterflies :roll:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Cris
    I will keep my eyes open but they really are few and far between this year....I adore butterflies....
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Thanks cris,
    I love butterflies!!! I have an old garden full of flowers (and butterflies) right now. I'm going to look into the survey, sounds like perfect distraction from the joints!
    Thanks again, Anna
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    Options
    thank you all for responses
    This is something i do each year, i do enjoy my birds and wildlife.
    I'm also very lucky to live in an isolated cottage surrounded by fields and woods - nearest carpark is 3 miles away!
    As i'm out every day with the dogs, counting butterflies gives me a good reason to sit down for a rest!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Thanks for posting that link. I meant to search for it earlier but didn't get round to it. Joanna Lumley was talking about it the other day on tv. She said that when you are planning your garden, think teenage bedroom. That's what my garden is like. I've only seen 3 cabbage whites in the last week. I've had a lot of very small bumble bees. Although I'm not sure if they are bees. There was an article on tv last week saying that there are a lot of bee flies around just now. They look like bumbles but are a type of fly so don't sting.
    Christine