Confused

lynnemarie1123
lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
edited 7. Jul 2014, 12:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all x I've been to see my consultant this tea time . The results of my x ray prove that I don't have oesteo :-) x she doesn't think my recent pain and issues is connected to my inflammatory arthritis ?? But isn't sure why ? Wear n tear was mentioned along with bursitis and hyper mobility ? Was told to up my pain killers - thought 30/500 was the top of the list ?? More diflofenic - more amitriptline ! And thought part of the problem was my pill - I'm on Yasmin pill ? She said it can stretch the muscles around the joints - my body can't cope with it?? She's seeing me again in 8 weeks.

I feel upset as I was pining this app on the answer and magic wand :/( x

Anyone had similar issues with the pill and what is hyper mobility ?? Cheers xx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lynnemarie

Here is a link to hypermobility:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/joint-hypermobility/Pages/Introduction.aspx

The link to the HMSA forum is:

http://www.hypermobility.org/forum/index.php

Hope that may help a little.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Ah Elna got in ahead of me :) I was going to say I don't have hypermobility but you could try this link either. http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/joint-hypermobility.aspx
    I imagine that, as with other things, there is no compulsion to take more pain relief and it's just a matter of personal choice. If in doubt check with your GP.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Lynnemarie
    I understand how you feel it is a let down when we don't get answers, hopefully if you can change the pill it will help if aonly a little..wishing you well with everything and glad that Elna has given you the link..
    Love
    Barbara
  • lynnemarie1123
    Thanks guys x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    'Wear and tear' is another term for osteoarthritis, no wonder you're confused - I am too. :) I think that 30/500 is the highest cocodamol strength, one can take up to eight per day but there are other, stronger dullers out there which not only dull the pain but dull us too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lynnemarie1123
    I don't particularly want to take any more painkillers. But I can't function on the pain that I'm currently getting :-( x has snyone heard about the contraceptive pill effecting your condition ?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pain is a fact of our lives and we have to learn to live with it. I prefer to keep my dullers to the minimum so I can feel the feedback when I am reaching my limits of what I can manage. I have altered the way I do many things (plus given up work after flogging on for far too long) but over the years the increasing levels have curtailed many aspects of my life.

I don't know if the pill would affect an auto-immune arthritis, that's a question for the docs. I am very thankful that I am beyond all that nonsense; no more periods is one of the rare positives of ageing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,764
    Well, you live and learn :D I'd never heard this before but here's what Arthritis Research UK say about it.

In fact it is now thought that taking the contraceptive pill may be protective against developing rheumatoid arthritis, although reports are conflicting. The use of oral contraceptives may also reduce the severity of rheumatoid arthritis once it has developed.
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/q-and-a/drug-information/is-there-a-possible-link-between-the-contraceptive-pill-and-ra.aspx

In my far-off days on the contraceptive pill I can't say I noticed any improvement but it certainly deteriorated with the kids in tow :lol:

Seriously, have a good natter with your doc about this. You'd be swapping one strong med for another. Plus, the article is talking specifically about RA. Is yours RA or some other inflammatory arthritis? Sorry, I can't remember :oops: Some things do affect one form but not another.

There does, however, come a time when we have to stop looking at ways to continue our current lifestyles and think instead about how to reduce the pain by modifying them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lynnemarie1123
    Thank you x I have unspecified seronegative arthritis . She explained that the specific pill I was on lengthened the muscles which was working against my ethos to build myuscles up surrounding the joints to support it. I do exersize on average 3 times a week - I'd rather not but know it's in a good cause and it does seem to help. She spoke about all pills in general too and said that gps don't look at the bigger picture when prescribing meds x