Pain Clinic

Options
joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
edited 29. May 2009, 12:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I have received three whole pages of questions and diagrams to fill in before my appointment with the Consultant on the Pain Clinic.

They tell me that they cannot cure chronic pain, but aim to help me manage it.
assess the pain, review medicines, review treatment already received, advise on lifestyle. (that means dieting doesn't it and go swimming and all that)
make a plan for my pain management.
The I had a couple of diagrams - me backwards andone me frontwards. Put a mark where the pain is. Well I can tell yu that there are no white spaces left on the plan.
The there are a list of descriptive Words to put a ring round about my pain. There are 30 on the list. Can you all guess what they are. COmpetition time.
Anyway, have just come back from doing the shopping and now think my right hip is on the blink. Another cross on the diagram :lol:

At lease I feel as though I am getting there. Just a week to go.

joyful

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi joyful,im awaiting my appointment for pain clinic so i'll be watching for your posts on progress.
    sounds like it maybe good if they can controll the pain(teach you to manage it i mean)
    i really hope you get something out of it.
    keep us up to date on it,good luck,debsx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    My GP is going to send me to the pain clinic. Not quite sure when though or what to expect but, anything is worth a try! :) Sue
  • joyful164
    Options
    I will keep you posted, because I think, in a way, these pain clinics sound like a last chance saloon. The consultants are normally anaethatists I believe (well they are in Kettering) and they devised this department to look at peoples pain. I shall wait with baited breath.

joyful
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Please keep us posted as I am being seen in 2 weeks and would love to know how you get on. And yes you are right, it's anaesthetists, I phoned up and asked who I would be seeing and they told me who it was, I saw this person many years ago and am over the moon to be seeing them again :D

PS were the answers - sharp, stabbing, severe and gnawing, those were mine!
    x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Joy

It will be interesting to hear how you get on at the pain clinic. I hope they help you to deal more effectively with your pain. I am trying to think of the 30 words to describe pain, but some of them are unprintable :!: :lol:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Joy,

I have found the pain clinic have helped me so much! I saw them years ago and it wasn't so good but this one knows her stuff.

The lifestyle thing with me was to try and make me do less, and she got quite heated about it but now i have seen her 4x she seems to be going for a compromise rather than a stopping of my life. They are good listeners but also know what will work best. With me its a load of temp nerve blocks that one day they may make permanent......... and thankfully I have found them very good.

I hope you will get some real pain help and it all goes well. take care Cris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joy,

I have found the pain clinic have helped me so much! I saw them years ago and it wasn't so good but this one knows her stuff.

The lifestyle thing with me was to try and make me do less, and she got quite heated about it but now i have seen her 4x she seems to be going for a compromise rather than a stopping of my life. They are good listeners but also know what will work best. With me its a load of temp nerve blocks that one day they may make permanent......... and thankfully I have found them very good.

I hope you will get some real pain help and it all goes well. take care Cris
    Thanks Cris, you sound so positives, as I'm waiting for an appointment, its good to hear! :) Love Sue
  • joyful164
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. It's good to get your thoughts on the Chronic Pain Clinic and your experiences. I've filled in all the forms ready.

I have spent two days 'working through the pain' and suffered with my arms. If they tell me I have to rest I don't know how to. I've got to be doing something.

The next big job I will have to do is make 100 favors for my son's wedding. Aug. 22 is getting close now. At least I have passed the flowers over to the experts.

I can't bask in the son because I get burnt too easily now. With everything that is going on around me at the moment I can't sit and concentrate on books, and I've bought quite a few that I haven't even looked at yet. I know, I could write a book instead. I certainly 'rabbit' on a bit on these postings. That's it, I'll do that.
    joyful