Can Prozacs Effectiveness wear off?

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 7. Jan 2010, 19:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does the effectiveness of Prozac wear off in time, I’ve been on it for around 6 months now but recently I have started getting bouts of feel down again, I am this morning although I took it first thing it mostly comes when I think of what the future hold for me, well that and sitting here at work being treated as if I’m guilty of the terribly heinous crime of get OA in both knee caps from running around this soon to be closed down dump of a power station.

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Jeez, I hope not, Mell. I've been on them since May this year and I'm OK so far. This time of year is a bl**dy awful one anyway, so depressing and dreary. I'm always glad to get January out of the way, I know I feel better once February comes in.

All the best for the New Year, Mell. Take it one day at a time.

Annie
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    It could be that your dose needs increasing. My experience of anti-depressants is that they stop working after I've been on them for a while but, so far *touch wood* citalopram has been really for me.

I'm sorry you're feeling low. :( Please talk your GP or someone else who can help you. We are here for you too. You don't have to be alone. x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Thanks I will, have a good new year.
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Jeez, I hope not, Mell. I've been on them since May this year and I'm OK so far. This time of year is a bl**dy awful one anyway, so depressing and dreary. I'm always glad to get January out of the way, I know I feel better once February comes in.

All the best for the New Year, Mell. Take it one day at a time.

Annie
    Hi Annie i agree with you all the way about this time of year I really hate it, I will be glad when the spring comes, i have just been put on Prozac but i am a bit afraid to take them, do you have any side affects im'e befuddled i feel i need reasurance. Happy New Year to you and all, Wendylou.x
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Hi Wendy and welcome! I will say that I was shocked when I was given the diagnosis of depression, on the other hand it was hardly surprising, I suppose. I was in such a state that I just went in boots and all. My hubby was very against me taking them to start with, but when he saw the difference in me in less than a week, he agreed I'd done the right thing.

Why not take it by degrees? Everyone is different and while I might have found they worked in a few days, they might take longer for you. I still take only one a day, I could take up to three, but I've never needed to. Try it for a week or two and see what happens (this is how I reasoned at the time). If you do want to stop, make sure you see the doctor first, you can't just stop and start them, but there is no reason for the doctor to keep you on meds you don't want to take.

Hope you feel better soon, I just count the days till February!

Love
    Annie
    xx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Wendy

Try them and see how you feel. It may make a big difference to you.

Good Luck and a better 2010

Trish xxx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    MellMann

Things always seem worse this time of the year. The cold damp days and nights.

Roll on Spring, maybe that will make you feel better.

Trish xx
  • wendylou
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Hi Wendy and welcome! I will say that I was shocked when I was given the diagnosis of depression, on the other hand it was hardly surprising, I suppose. I was in such a state that I just went in boots and all. My hubby was very against me taking them to start with, but when he saw the difference in me in less than a week, he agreed I'd done the right thing.

Why not take it by degrees? Everyone is different and while I might have found they worked in a few days, they might take longer for you. I still take only one a day, I could take up to three, but I've never needed to. Try it for a week or two and see what happens (this is how I reasoned at the time). If you do want to stop, make sure you see the doctor first, you can't just stop and start them, but there is no reason for the doctor to keep you on meds you don't want to take.

Hope you feel better soon, I just count the days till February!

Love
    Annie
    xx
    Annie thanks to you and others for the reply what i want to know do they keep you awake at night as i have trouble sleeping as it is and do they lift your mood so sorry to ask these questions but i know you are all helpful on this site. Happy New Year all :) Wendylou xx
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Hi Wendy - I can't really answer the bit about whether they keep you awake, for other reasons I was already on a mild sleeping pill when I started them. I've had no reason to suspect that they are keeping me awake (plenty of other things do), but everyone is different.

Did they lift my mood? Ooooh yes! In a fairly short time I was back to my usual bubbly laid-back self; but again, we are all different. I think all you can do is to try them (with the reservations mentioned before) and see for yourself. As Jan said, they won't turn you into a boggle-eyed monster, and if they do help you will be pleased that you took the plunge.

There is one other question that you might have asked - do I ever feel down now that I am on them? The answer is, of course I do, like everyone else I am often in pain, frustrated by things I can't do, tired and sometimes just having a bad day! The difference now is that I don't turn these things into a crisis, or feel that it's the end of the world. I can accept that at times like those I need to rest, ask for help (medical or otherwise) or try to do things differently. What they have done for me is give me my balance back.

Do let me know what you decide to do.

Love
    Annie
    XX
  • wendylou
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Hi Wendy - I can't really answer the bit about whether they keep you awake, for other reasons I was already on a mild sleeping pill when I started them. I've had no reason to suspect that they are keeping me awake (plenty of other things do), but everyone is different.

Did they lift my mood? Ooooh yes! In a fairly short time I was back to my usual bubbly laid-back self; but again, we are all different. I think all you can do is to try them (with the reservations mentioned before) and see for yourself. As Jan said, they won't turn you into a boggle-eyed monster, and if they do help you will be pleased that you took the plunge.

There is one other question that you might have asked - do I ever feel down now that I am on them? The answer is, of course I do, like everyone else I am often in pain, frustrated by things I can't do, tired and sometimes just having a bad day! The difference now is that I don't turn these things into a crisis, or feel that it's the end of the world. I can accept that at times like those I need to rest, ask for help (medical or otherwise) or try to do things differently. What they have done for me is give me my balance back.

Do let me know what you decide to do.

Love
    Annie
    XX
    Hi Annie I have took the plunge and your advice and started taking the tablets, I started to take them 3 days ago up to know i have had no side affects but i suppose its early days yet, but i started to take them because of this weather were having and it's making me feel really down in the dumps,also at the moment i am having a flare up so i am fed up being housebound so sorry to bother with my moans. if you don't mind i will keep in touch to let you know how i get on andd if i pick up on the tabs.thanks for listening :wink: Wendylou.x
  • annie_mial
    Options
    Hi, Wendy, thanks for letting me know and certainly hope that they help you as much as they helped me. See how you feel after the weekend..............as you say, the weather is no help at all, I will be going stir crazy soon. I daren't go out as I risk a spinal fracture if I fall and I'm going to start writing on the walls soon!

Annie
  • wendylou
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Hi, Wendy, thanks for letting me know and certainly hope that they help you as much as they helped me. See how you feel after the weekend..............as you say, the weather is no help at all, I will be going stir crazy soon. I daren't go out as I risk a spinal fracture if I fall and I'm going to start writing on the walls soon!

Annie
    Wow Annie that was a quick reply, I would say im'e climbing the walls but thats out of the quistion with me having OA of the hips and knee's just walking around the house and my left knee keeps on giving in on me and has ballooned up twice the size of the other, oh i think i will hibernate do you want to join me ha ha :lol: roll on the spring i love that time of the year. Wendylou.
  • annie_mial
    Options
    I'm definitely going to hibernate next winter if it turns out like this one!

Love
    Annie