what to expect

Options
steph120786
steph120786 Member Posts: 66
At my daughters last check up, our consultant discussed changing her treatment on to biologic drugs as methotraxate doesnt seem to be as effective as they would have hoped, am just wondering what to expect, Kaitlin is 3 and although getting more tolerant of all the proding and poking is to young to be aware of what happening, probably a good thing as I am doing all the worring for her.

humira i think is our first port of call as apparently that helps with the eyes too, as she also has iritis/uveitis

Thanks Guys

Comments

• steph120786
    steph120786 Member Posts: 66
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think I mean Anti TNF Drugs
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Steph,

I can't help you but wanted to leave you a (((( )))) and a hope that things will get easier fr her soon. Its wrong it gets the young as well. You take care and well another ((( ))) Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,506
    Options
    Hi Steph
    It is now usual to treat even young children like Kaitlin with anti-TNFs if other drugs like methotrexate are not working. Humira does seem to be the one of choice to start (sorry I don't know why but your rheumy will tell you if there is a specific reason). In fact children tolerate these drugs much better than adults and she may manage it well.
    Humira is given by injection which may bring its own problems but the nurses will be used to doing this and will help Kaitlin. Adults often give their own injections so I don't know if this is something you would want to do for Kaitlin or would rather leave to the professionals.
    The charity Action for Sick Children produces some really good booklets like 'Helping Children Cope With Needles' which might be helpful. They are at www.actionforsickchildren.org.uk
    Steph, this sounds like a difficult time & as always we are on the end of a phone if you want to chat. Have we already sent you the Kids With Arthritis book? If not, send us a private email with your address & we can post you a copy.
    Best wishes
    Val