Help 10 Year Old daughter

Options
julie1
julie1 Member Posts: 34
edited 26. May 2010, 12:51 in My child has arthritis
Hello - I have a ten year old daughter who 8 months ago was told she has arthritis. This effects 3 joints. Are there any other young people out there who can give some positive feedback on how to cope and come to terms with this. Thank you Julie

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julie and daughter, sorry to hear about the arther. Welcome to the forum. Sure some others will post soon. Have you contacted helpline to see what advice/info they can offer?

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • julie1
    julie1 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Julie and daughter, sorry to hear about the arther. Welcome to the forum. Sure some others will post soon. Have you contacted helpline to see what advice/info they can offer?

Speedalong

Thank you :)
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hello Julie, I'm Michelle mum to 4 kiddies but it's my 4 year old with arthritis diagnosed last year. I know how you feel I'm probably about the same time scale with an official diagnosis although I've known longer than that just needed consultant to confirm it.

Kayleigh is getting very good at telling me which joints hurt her and where they hurt. I hate seeing children in pain even worse when it's your own and there's nothing you can do about it.

Kayleigh is on mtx which has helped her enormously. She's just started having a flare up and this heat isn't helping at all :(

sorry so short but better go think my boys are killing each other, will try and get on again later.

Michelle xxx
  • butterflywings
    butterflywings Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Julie1

My daughter (who is nearly 10) has arthritis. She has had it since 15 months old and up until about 2 years ago it didn't really bother her too much - she just got on with life, but now she really notices it more and it does affect what she can and can't do.

It is hard sometimes especially when they're in pain.

She had steriod injections done in April which helped her with the pain alot, but she's starting to suffer again so I don't think they did the trick this time as it is only end of May.

10 is a difficult age for them as they're aware of more things and want to do alot more.

Welcome to this site Julie1
    x