Playing the Piano/keyboard?

Options
rachelj
rachelj Member Posts: 121
edited 1. Sep 2010, 02:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Evening all, the evenings are drawing in, and my thoughts are turning to winter. I have to accept I can't spend time out in the cold as much as I could and need something to do on those dark evenings that's not completely sedatory. I have been thinking about buying a keyboard while I still stand a chance of having enough movement to learn to play.

Has anyone found that arthur in theirs hands, mine is only mild, has just made it too uncomfortable to even bother with. I don't know anyone one with one to borrow for a few days to try..

Hmm ebay is calling.

Rach

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach,
    Why not? Might as well give it a try. If all else fails you can put it back onto ebay :D
    Good exercise for the fingers I would think.

Winter!!! I just want to be dry :| Oh for a Indian summer.
    Just been watching the bats flying passed our window.

Lv, Ix
  • rachelj
    Options
    I played a bit when I was a teenager and I thought that it might stretch my hands out a bit, plus it forces you to train your fingers to work independently, so could be handy when the other freeze up.

I haven't seen many bats this year, which seems odd as there seems to have been plenty of bugs about. Tonights highlight was spotting an owl off out for a nights hunting, makes a nice change from the usual deer.

Rach
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    It was always a great disappointment to my dad that none of his children played an instrument. He played in a school brass band. Then in his later years taught himself to play the harmonica.

The bats come from the Church tower. We hear Owls but do not often see them.

How's the tooties?
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I used to do a lot of typing on a computer keyboard and I think that kept my fingers going for a long time past their 'seize by' date. So, yes to learning the piano/keyboard. It might be possible to hire one for a week, ask in a music shop.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Rach

I hope you do decide to give it a go - I think you shoud as you want to and who wants a life full of regrets?

Go for it girl and let us know how it goes.

Love

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi rach... you go for it girl!

playing keyboard or tap tapping on the PC is good exercise for the fingers and hand.... and think how lovely it would be to fulfil the wish to be able to play a musical instrument. :wink:

Iris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Yes I wold have a go if I were you.

When my daughter was 7 (now 22) I paid for her to have keyboard lessons. I had only had RA for 7 years so while she was learning i would sit and watch. Then practice with her until the following week.
    Eventually after a couple of years I had to stop cause my hands got too bad. BUT i did enjoy it while I could.
    She finished her lessons at 18 with grade 8 music to her belt.
    It sounds so amazing I wish I could do it.

Just think of how proud you will be of yourself. I wish you GOOD LUCK. (i keep tapping pens I would like to try the drums could strap the sticks to wrists :lol: )

love juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Julie

Well done to your daughter fro getting grade 8!!!! WoW!!

I only manged 5 :oops: on the french horn!!! :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Julie

Well done to your daughter fro getting grade 8!!!! WoW!!

I only manged 5 :oops: on the french horn!!! :oops:

Love

Toni xx
    Grade 5 is a wow too a gcse level. Well done you. French horn must be difficult.

love juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    It was Julie,

But i do think keyboard is harder!

You must be proud of her and very pleased you started her on those lessons.

Love

Toni xx
  • rachelj
    Options
    Well that's that decided, I am watching a few of them on ebay, see if I can grab me a bargin . While I was trawling the net looking for models, reviews etc I found this, might be handy for those wanting to get a bit of finger exercise from a different kind of keyboard

http://www.virtualpiano.net/ :):wink:

I don't however think I will be making it beyond grade 1!
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    I think you'll be ok, I played the piano for years and the keys on that are much heavier than keyboard. Keyboard keys are such light plastic you hardly need to press them at all to play!

I also play guitar and that's pretty tough on the hands cos you gotta really grip and press the strings. however luckily my RA so far only affects my right hand and that one only needs to strum.lol will keep going as long as possible.. no point regretting not doing stuff!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Rach

Hope you get one soon :)

Caprica - that's what I think - no regtets - do what you can today :D

How are you doing by the way? Ok i hope?

Love

Toni xx
  • caprica
    caprica Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Hey Toni,

yes im feeling very well, thanks! can't believe it's september tomorrow, where did the year go?! how are you doing?
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Rach

Yes, definitely give it a go.

I play the violin (not very well!) I used to play with my daytime splints on (but now just wear 'compression gloves' which are nice and soothing.

Marion
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hi Rach,
    I play a keyboard (as does my OH, got one each).
    My hands are pretty 'bent' and my fingers point in different directions! But it is possible. I find putting tubigrip in a strip across my knuckles helps and at odd times have cut the fingers (up to the knuckles) out of rubber gloves and worn them. It seems to support the tendons and stops the ache in my hands.

I can't say I hit all the right notes, but it certainly exercises my hands. The rheumy was pleased when I told her and said that it was good exercise for my hands ... they are in a bit of a mess and the easiest chord for mme is G7!
    Get a keyboard with 'single fingered' left hand chords and 'harmony' on the right hand, so that you can knock some music out even on a bad day, because you can play it with two fingers. A good range of styles and voices is a good thing because it keeps your interest up. Yamaha keyboards are good in this way .... Oh!Er!, am I allowed to say that? Hope the Mod won't tell me off! I find 'making music' helps relax me and at 2 in the morning with headphones on, it can lull me into sleep mode

Best of luck - hope you can find what you want.

Dolittle

Sorry, folks, haven't been joining in much - just 'lurking' - had a few problems to iron out, but possibly got to the end of that. Hope you're all as well as possible.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hey Dolittle

Good to see you :)

Hope everything is ironed out soon and you are back with us.

Love

toni xx