Hello!

Options
sorefeet
sorefeet Member Posts: 3
edited 3. Oct 2010, 11:54 in Say Hello Archive
It's funny to feel shy about meeting people online but that's what I feel! I've never joined a forum before, but I was really pleased when I found that this one existed. I'm going to join my local Arthirits Care group too. What I am wondering is whether anyone out there has had an operation fusing the foot joints? I think it is called Arthrodesis and I have just been offered it in both feet - not both at the same time of course! I am curious to know whether the end result is trouble free or whether people regret having it done. Is it better to put up with the discomfort /pain I have now? Will it be a real improvement? Any regrets? (I can't take NSAIDs because of gastric trouble.)

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you took the plunge :D
    We are all in the same boat here so do'nt be shy. If you post on the living with arthritis forum more people will see you there.
    I'm sure that someone will come along that can give you their experience of foot problems.
    Good for you joining the local Arthritis club. Mine only do day time ones and I work so cannot attend.
    Hope you have had some help with footware while you are waiting for your treatment.

Hope to see you posting soon,

Lv, Ix
  • sorefeet
    sorefeet Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Actually I have had no help with footware. I seem to spend a fortune on shoes I can't wear. I live in trainers. I kept looking for trainers with open toes this summer so I could show off my nail varnish but failed to find any.
    Thanks for your tip and I will post on the living with arthiritis formum as well soon.
    ironic wrote:
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you took the plunge :D
    We are all in the same boat here so do'nt be shy. If you post on the living with arthritis forum more people will see you there.
    I'm sure that someone will come along that can give you their experience of foot problems.
    Good for you joining the local Arthritis club. Mine only do day time ones and I work so cannot attend.
    Hope you have had some help with footware while you are waiting for your treatment.

Hope to see you posting soon,

Lv, Ix
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Sore feet

A warm welcome from me. You may find it better to put your questions on LWA Forum more people will see it there.

Shy, no don't be shy we don't bite, honest. Arthur does but us no we ae a friedly bunch.

Cannot answer your question though, sorry. Had fingers fused.

Why not come to Val's cafe and meet some of the people there you can eat and drink whatever you happen to fancy.

Well, hope to see you posting soon.

love Trish xx
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    Options
    Hi there sorefeet you will find people who can give good advice here.

Just wondered have you tried to wear crocs, I know they are not very attractive and will not show off your nailvarnish but I can wear them when I can not wear anything else. You could try the ones in the cheap shops they are just as good.
  • blushy
    blushy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi Sorefeet, I am newbie too.....and I suffer bad with the arthritis in my feet...I wear crocs all the time, well the equivalent of crocs....they are just bliss.....they dont take the pain away completely but beat any other shoes I have tried. Lululu gave good advice there about crocs!

As to the op you been offered....I am knew to forum and newly diagnosed myself so have never heard of the op but as they say am sure someone here will know.

Good luck

Blushy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Big welcome sorefeet and blushy too :D:D

this is a great forum full of friendly peeps who understand what you are going through with arther (our arch enemy!) We're always ready to listen and support....so please don't be shy about posting. :wink:

jump in to any of the posts on any forum.... you'll be made very welcome. :D

hope to see you both around the forum. :wink:

sorefeet... I don't have experience of foot fusion but pretty sure there is someone who does..... as suggested post this question on LWA as more peeps read that forum.

Iris xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    welcome sorefeet an blushy

i have problem feet, trying to get shoes to fit.

My foot is a different shape now. I used to be size 6 and now i am size 4. Foot has just got shorter and fatter .

I have to wear shoes from cosyfeet as they are adjustable and extremly light,

I have the added problem which is that one leg is prosthetic so that foot is slim.

hope you get your answer soon
    juliepf x
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    just popped in to say hi and welcome

coco xx
  • sneezy
    sneezy Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi sorefeet just signed up and have the same problem as you but at present only in one ankle going for x-ray on knee to see if I have it there now too.
    I am also extremely flat footed just to make things worse or the course of it, so I have difficulty with foot wear as supposed to wear orthotics all the time which make my feet ache. This summer I discovered FitFlops worth every penny lived in them for the last 31/2 months best thing ever helps with my flat feet and reduces stress on joints as makes you have better posture too.
    As for the op something I dread and would also like to hear from those who have had it as I'm not far off it. Unfortunatly after talking to my surgeon and my daughter who is a nurse I really do fear it. If it goes right best thing since slice bread however it doesn't have such a good success rate as knees and hips. if it goes wrong one of two things happens. 1) they fuse too much together your foot is stuck in a fixed position 2) the bolts aren't done correctly or don't hold in the bone you are left with a floppy foot that drags. neither can be corrected as bones either stuck together can't be freed or holes in bones so can't redo sorry for the bad news lests hope others give us more hope
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Sorefeet, Blushy and Sneezy! What wonderful user names!

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific question Sorefeet, but just wanted to say welcome to you all. This is a wonderful forum and everyone is so friendly. So don't feel shy about posting. You really will get lots of support and understanding here and will be made very welcome.

Love Tilly x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi to the three of you, Sneezy, Blushy and Sorefeet - are they the latest names for the gang?

Wonderful names........just wanted to say welcome. I can relate to problems with feet as one foot is a normal size 3 and the other is .......well, it has it's little problems and appears to be the width of a size 5 and the length of a size 2! Add arther and other foot problems to that and my sympathy is with anyone trying to put one foot in front of the other with some comfort!

Annie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi sore feet feel for you as mine starting again with this damp weather had some great sandles for summer but got to find my winter foot wear out . so welcome from me as well and feel free to join in where you want to val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,443
    Options
    Hi sorefeet soor I seem to have missed you sneaking in theer!!

good to meet you - have you posteed your query on the living with arthritis thread yet??

Might get more response there??

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Blushy

I like your name :)

Welcome to the forums form me too. I hope you find it as helful as I have

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi sneezy

Welcome to the forums from me to you too :D

I am sorry to hear you have need of us too :(

I look forward to seeing you around and about on the forums.

Love

Toni xx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Hi Sorefeet just wanted to give you a warm welcome from me, look forward to your posts.

Jules x
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • elainefatfingers
    elainefatfingers Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I too have awfully uncomfortable feet but have been helped by shoes bought from lovethoseshoes.com - my NHS podiatrist said they were good too. Well worth a look.