Access denied by Forum using Firefox

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 27. Sep 2010, 12:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just downloaded Firefox as my Browser because I've found that Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) sometimes doesn't load fully and is very slow.

When using Firefox (which is great and very fast) I've discovered that I can't access my PMs or Reply to Topics on this site. It tells me I have to sign in, which I do but it just doesn't recognise me :(

To get this message on the boards now I've had to use IE8 again.

Can any of you guys help?

I've copied this also onto the Tech Support Board.

Thanks, Legs
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Legs

I cant but Joseph WILL or some of the other techies.

Joseph is exhibiting his art today. home later though

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Did you get the answer Linda?

If not this is better up here so teh techie type members can see it!

LOve

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Legs
    I use firefox, not had any trouble with it...touch wood
    I hope you get it sorted very soon.
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I've discovered that I can't access my PMs or Reply to Topics on this site. It tells me I have to sign in, which I do but it just doesn't recognise me :(

To get this message on the boards now I've had to use IE8 again.
    Thanks, Legs
    You can't access your PMs or reply to topics unless you are properly signed in and both AC and your browser remembers that you have. So, something is preventing you signing in properly or Firefox is not remembering the site's cookie. In Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Privacy and make sure that the box to 'Accept cookies from sites' is ticked, as if it isn't AC and Firefox can't remember that you have signed in as that is what the cookie does. Try that first, but if that doesn't work then see the next bit.

If you have set Firefox to remember passwords it will remember whatever password you used, including if you have entered a wrong one at any time.

Go to Tools > Options> Security and make sure that the box for Use a Master Password is not checked. Then click on Saved Passwords and look on the list for Arthritis Care, checking down the list for duplicate entries. Click on it or them and then Remove at the bottom. Then click on Close and then OK. That will clear any remembered passwords for this site held by Firefox.

Log into AC making sure that you have got your username and password correct. Firefox will ask you if you want it to remember your password, click Remember. That should log you properly into the forum and also when you login again the User and Password will already be completed. If others use your computer then tell Firefox not to remember the password.

I use Firefox,so I know that it will access the site.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Yes I hae always used Firefox to access this forum never any problems
    I gave up on IE8 ages ago
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Joseph,

I've done everything you've said, to the letter and it still just asks me to Log In so I've tried several times and no luck yet - it just clears what I've typed and the Log In is still there, occasionally, for a change, it takes me to a page which says 'Try Again'

Do you think it might help to remove Firefox from my system and try to load it again?

Luv Legs who's still having to use IE8 :|
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thanks to everyone else who've replied too :D
    Love, Legs x
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Don't give up on firefox It's a far better browser.Have you tried google Chrome?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    tonesp wrote:
    Don't give up on firefox It's a far better browser.Have you tried google Chrome?

No Tone, not tried that one................. yet, but I will if Firefox can't get me on here. Although I only downloaded FF yesterday I'm amazed at how much faster it is to get onto the Net.

Maybe it's something to do with my PC - do you think that could be the prob?

Luv Legs :roll:
    Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Just to add the version I've downloaded is Mozilla Firefox - does that help? :?
    Love, Legs x
  • livinglegend
    Options
    Firefox is programmed and distributed by Mozilla so it don't matter.

If deleting cookies for the site with the problem did not fix the error, clear all the cookies stored on your computer and clear the Firefox cache:

1. On the menu bar, click Tools, then select Clear Recent History....
    2. In the Time Range to clear: dropdown, select Everything.
    3. Click the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that can be cleared.
    4. Select both Cookies and Cache.
    5. Click Clear Now.

There is more information on login problems at http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cannot log in to websites

It is worth while to sort this problem as Firefox is in my opinion much better than IE8.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi Joseph 8)

You technowizard :D I'm replying through FF and it's worked by clearing the Cookies and Cache as instructed. I didn't need the link.

Now, just another little question. As I'm typing on Post a Reply, with Firefox, when I add the emoticons my cursor jumps to the top of the message or, if added after I've typed the message the emoticon attaches itself to the bottom of the page - why? :?

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
  • livinglegend
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    As I'm typing on Post a Reply, with Firefox, when I add the emoticons my cursor jumps to the top of the message or, if added after I've typed the message the emoticon attaches itself to the bottom of the page - why? :?

Luv Legs
    The emoticon should appear where the cursor is, but because you are actually copying a link not the actual emoticon itself, then it seems to do it's own thing.

Don't know why, but it could be checking for a valid link. It does the same with me, so I just go back to where I was in the message and carry on typing.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joseph

Good job we have techi people like you on here. I would not have a clue.

Legs are you sorted? Is Firefox better to have?

Love Trish xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Yes Trisher I think it is much better than Internet Explorer 8 - it's faster for a start and then it asks you if you want it to remember passwords etc. Try downloading it and give it a try - you can always go back to your normal Browser if you don't like it. :D

Thanks for your help Joseph - I'm copying your answers to file in case I have problems again.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Legs

Thank you will give it a try. Thanks for that.

I finished the Water for Elephants Legs I really enjoyed it.

Love Trish xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Legs

Thank you will give it a try. Thanks for that.

I finished the Water for Elephants Legs I really enjoyed it.

Love Trish xxx

Glad you enjoyed the book Trish :D I'm now reading Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier - she wrote Girl with the Pearl Earring. This book's about fossil collecting and is a story around the real Mary Anning (fossil collector early 1800's) - I'm really enjoying it.

I've still got Lollipop Shoes to read - did you recommend that to me or was it Ange I wonder???? :?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x