Tips for sleeping

Options
stlucia
stlucia Member Posts: 392
edited 6. Oct 2010, 07:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
After another night where I barely slept I wondered if we could start a thread for tips to make the nights more comfortable?

I am sure that there are so many good ideas out there and I think it would be helpful to share them round!

1) Mattress toppers (although I go through a few days liking it and then having to get my husband to take it off for a few nights as it is too soft!)

2) Painkillers :roll:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Wheatbags heated up in the microwave are great wrapped around the offending joint ie knees, neck, shoulder, feet etc. I would not be without one or two in the cupboard - better than a hotwater bottle.You could use a hotwater bottle as well if need be though.

I believe some people on here have been prescibed Amitriptyline by their GP in a low dosage to take at night which help one to sleep.You could ask your medic about this, if you do not already take it.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    body pillows can help or normal pillows put between you knees to help hip and knee pain.
    amitriptyline is a god send to!
    sue
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Stlucia

I have a memory foam mattress topper. It has been one of the best things I've purchased as it cushions my joints. I also take amytriptiline before bed. This medication relaxes your joints and really does help you sleep. I take tramadol before bed too.
    Having a good night's sleep is vital when you suffer from arthur I think you cope with the day better if you've slept well.

Sharmaine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    MP3. Music on my purple one, talking books on the pink. Separate bedrooms would also help but Mr DD refuses to shift and I can't make it to the top floor (2 spare rooms up there!). It drives me round the bend, watching him snooze away, not a care in the world and without pain. :x Apart from that, paindullers. I would come on here, there is usally someone about, but the computer is downstairs and I am not good at the stairs at night. When it's really rough, I go driving, but only when I am really wide awake and not fuddled with tramadol. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stlucia
    Options
    Wow lots of good tips - thanks everyone. I'm going to try them all tonight!

What I would like is a hammock that rocks without me having to do anything, and a warm breeze in the sunshine....whilst listening to a really good story on my ipod....dozing off!

In reality I think I might have to be content with pain relief, rain battering on the window, the alarm going off at 6am and being really uncomfortable!

xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    a warm/ hot shower before going to bed to loosen up muscles and soothe achey joints (warm bath would be better if you can use a bath)

taking your pain meds and sleep meds in advance of going to bed so that you benefit from their combined effects when your head hits the pillow!... also having additional pain meds on the bedside table in case you need to take them during the night.

comfy night wear that doesn't restrict movement or wrap itself round your legs!

comfy bed, the right kind of duvet and pillows/ height that suit you; pillows between or under sore knees.

finding the optimum bedtime!

Iris xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I think you have to work out first what sort of lack of sleep? I know that sounds stupid....you'll get used to me :wink:
    Can you not get to sleep? Do you waken up a few times in the night? If so why? Pain? or do you not know
    With me after my THR I couldnt get a full nights sleep...still havent and that was last Feb....I went to sleep OK but wakened about 4 times during the night with awful pain.
    I bought a mattress topper for the caravan..OK'ish

I then brought it in to try it on the bed....not the right size but thought i would try it.....like you ..it was on and off.

Eventually a kingsized duck and feather duvet doubled helped.

Then suddenly remembered about a mattress the OT had given me long before my THR and dragged that out and it works {better than anything} I think I might be back to the duvet when the warmer weather comes HA!!!! because the mattress is plastic and even with a sheet i would think it will be hot.

I cant take amitryp. so various things were tried at night....some made me zombie like, some had no affect but diclofenic 75mg modified release {lasts 12 hrs} is the best up to now....tend to waken about once in the night but not with the awful pain I had and just go back to sleep most times
    Sorry for the ramble
    Love
    Hileena
  • stlucia
    Options
    So many great tips. I hope others find this useful too.

I am trying the ipod and taking meds earlier tonight. now in a medicated stupor which hopefully will work.
    X
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Stlucia,

I can't think of anything else ... except visualisations/meditations on my ipod helped me if I couldn't relax in bed or was really "locked "into the pain. No/very little sleep really is the pitts - hope some of the suggestions really work for you.

Maybe you are ZZZZZzzzzzz even now? Hope so.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, gonna use some of them my self :wink:

My partner sometimes rubs my feet gently before sleep just to relax me to try and sleep, and also my back too, but that depends on what my pain is like at the time of the night too :)

x