Knee pain for 6 months

Options
Ema123
Ema123 Member Posts: 6
edited 25. Feb 2011, 11:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I´ve been suffering with a swollen painful knee for the last 6 months with very little relief. I have had to use crutches in order to take the pressure off and have just had a steroid put into the knee joint with little success (I also had one in Spetember which wasn´t effective). The injection was done a week ago, the pain has lessened but it is still stiff, swollen, I am still limping and unable to straighten it fully.

My consultant advised me that if the steroid didn´t work then it would mean keyhole surgery to clean out the knee.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and if so what did you do? Also, if anyone has had keyhole surgery, was it painful, how long was the recovery time, did it help? Sorry, lots of questions but I´m desperate for help as it´s really effecting my day to day life.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ema, sorry that you are suffering like this, I too have very painful knees... Had steroid injections done 7th January but nothing happening :roll: Did have them done last November and for a whole month they felt better than they had done in over twenty yrs!

The keyhole thing is probably an arthroscopy, I have had a few of these over the years, they do work quite well, if there is a lot of 'debris' in the knee it is worth having done. It is usually a day surgery, and my last one was about 6/7 years ago so can't remember recovery time but it was a few weeks I think? I had both done at the same time many years ago, not sure if I would recommend that or not, in a way it is better cos it's over and done with and just one lot of recovery time but then you have both legs trussed up like a turkey, unable to bend them etc.. It can be painful afterwards I will be honest but I have benefited from them each time. I go to see the orthapaedic triage fella on the 7th March to see if they are going to refer me for them doing again.. Knees are currently both in full flare up mode and I can't walk today, oh joy of joys eh? Lol

Be well hun..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Ema

Ive had many arthoscopies over the years.

Any operation you know is a big deal as its something youre not used to. The arthoscopy you will be admitted to a day case ward and then go for your op. It normally only lasts less than 40mins and then they take you to the recovery room, then back to ward and they let you eat something then release you later that day.
    Recovery is supposed to be about 3-6 weeks depending on the individual. Its not painful really afterwards, they will put a bandage on and dressing but you can shower 2 days afterwards and then the wound(s) will heal and you will be recovering in no time at all...
    It may or may not help you, depending on what condition you have, but if you havent had one before i think it will help you immediately.

Good luck and ask any q's if you want....

elainex
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,431
    Options
    Hi emma

poor you :sad:

It sounds as though you will need to think about the arthroscopy seriously if it's been going on this long and is affecting your day to day life to such an extent.

Like all surgery there is going to be some pain and a period of recovery. Lots of guys on here have had these for their knees and a lot have been very pleased with the results. I take it they have xrayed you and they beleive it will help.

Can I wish you all the best and offer you a WELCOME from me to this lovely forum. I hope you find us helpful and supportive.

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 26. Feb 2011, 08:41
    Options
    I had an arthroscopy (closed synovectomy) on my right knee in November 2004. Compared to my two open synovectomies on my left it was a doddle. I was left with just three stitches in a sort of triangle shape (as opposed to thirty eight staples in a line) and I was in and out in a day. Unfortunately my arthritis was too advanced in other joints for it to make any great difference (I am permanently on crutches) but I do recall my knee generally being more comfortable, it would lie flat (and did so for some while after) and it is, even now, better than my left in terms of flexibility. I hope it will really help you - it is a straightforward procedure, modern anaesthetics are very good so hopefully you will only feel tired after, and the recuperation will be quite quick as the surgery is not that invasive. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ema123
    Ema123 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, they have all really helped.

I´ll wait and see what the doc says next week and go from there. Hopefully I´ll be skipping and jumping if I have it done!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Ema and welcome,

I have not had this procedure so cannot directly comment on it. I have ever put off surgery on my hips until I was desperate and there was no other way forward - then following the ops - wished I'd had it done sooner!

Ask yourself can you carry on like you are? If not, then it is worth finding out about the keyhole surgery. Write out done your questions as you think of them and take your list to your next appointment.

Keep us posted.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Emma

I have had three arthroscopies and none of them gave me relief for more than a few weeks, if that. Some consultants are not keen on doing them for this reason. I had two done on one knee because the first time I felt as if something had been left in there, like a loose bit of grit so it was done again. That sensation went but it was still not a success for me. The third was done on the other knee as the consultant wanted it done! Some time later I had both knees replaced by this consultant, two years apart and that has been good. We are all different, for some the arthrocsopy works and for others not. If you do not try, if offered, you will never know. :smile: An arthroscopy is a wash and clean out of the knee but I expect you already know that. The recovery is pretty quick, well it was for me.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.