Strawberries...

Options
wannabewriter
wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
edited 27. May 2011, 04:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
I just wanted to share with you that when I get home today I am looking forward to tasting my first ever home grown strawberry. It has been staring at me for too long, taunting me with its white-blush colour. But when I looked this morning, it was all lovely red and begging me to eat it.

Now, this might not seem a major achievement, but I have killed EVERY single plant I’ve ever owned, except my three lovely strawberry plants currently sitting on my kitchen windowsill. They are threatening to bear much fruit, and I will just have to eat them as soon as possible.

Does anyone else have non-green fingers, or am I the only one who kills all plants (except the strawberries!)....

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done to you and I hope the realisation lives up to the promise! Having not been able to eat fruit for most of my life (thanks to food intolerances) I have come late to the pleasures of fruit. Thanks to the immuno-suppressing drugs I can now eat the stuff and it's proved to be disappointing, to say the least. The quality seems to vary hugely. At least when I unwrap a Mars I know what I am getting. Perhaps the home-grown stuff is better.

I kill plants too. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I cannot grow any kind of plant, they die on me. Shame because I love plants. My parents-in-law have a whole garden dedicated to growing their own veg and they do strawberries, and they have two allotments now, I love it when we go up there, loads of freshly grown veg and fruit. You cant beat it.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    That strawberry will be the best you have EVER eaten you know.....BUT make sure it is REALLY red if you can be patient.

Lovely....

perhaps your fingers are getting greener :grin:

Hugs

toni xx
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    I confess im a mass murderer ...............of house plants,when i go to b&q,homebase etc the plants actually cringe when i walk past them :sad:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Was a time when the only thing I could grow was stubble.. Last year though I proudly grew sweetcorn.. Potatoes.. Strawberries.. Garlic.. Onions.. Rosemary.. Thyme.. Lavender.. Apples.. I've got a small lemon tree that was bought for me a year ago plus two indoor plants.. None of which I've managed to kill. I'm gob smacked as I really really am a disaster with plants..

My strawberries are coming back from the ones I planted last year, looks like a bumper crop of my favourite fruit.. Can't beat home grown. The spuds I grew last year were the nicest I'd ever tasted..

Best of luck with the plants, be patient with the strawberries.. Lol
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I too am a savage house plant murderer ; my hubby now takes charge of all plants and won't allow me near any of them . For heavens sake , even an air plant on a rock has died in the past when in my care ! Jillyb
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It is a bumper year for British strawberries as the weather conditions have been so lovely. Enjoy.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • flutterbye
    flutterbye Member Posts: 22
    Options
    hope you enjoy your strawberry.....and hopefully the first of many :smile:
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I hope you enjoy your first home grown strawberry they are better than shop bought i only eat my own now. I find the shop ones too bitter. They are great with ice cream or cream or both go one spoil yourself enjoy Joanne
    Joanne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well? Did you eat it? How was it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    De-Lic-IOUS.

Felt like a whole punnet of strawberries in one go.

And now, I can see all the others ripening too, so just waiting for them to turn and I'll be able to scoff them as well!

Yumyumyum.