The clarity of news broadcasts.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Aug 2011, 15:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Some poor bloke, whilst on his honeymoon in the Seychelles, has been killed by a shark. That is sad on a number of fronts, but whoever wrote the bulletin that I heard on Radio 5live needs a boot up their literary jacksey.

'A man from Lancashire has been killed in the Seychelles by a shark on his honeymoon.'

I have to admit I fell about laughing: I can just see a shark in his wedding suit, the new Mrs Shark in her meringue, posing for pohotos, now they are on their honeymoon with confetti falling out of every nook and cranny. I am fully aware that coherent writing is not an easy art but if you cannot do so you shouldn't be writing news broadcasts. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Do they know what type of shark it was?, I would imagine it must have been a great white or one of the bigger species, it's nice to dive and look at these things but they are wild and have a primordial brain so can't be trusted as they don't give off much in the way of a warning normally the only time you can tell if it's not happy is they arch their backs and point their fins downwards but I guess he didn't know they do that me being an anorak I do!, anyway it's not the sharks fault it was only trying to survive, if it wasn't hungry it would have probably ignored him.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Oh daisy you are naughty but i see what you mean had to smile. :smile: Mig
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    DD this made me laugh out loud :lol:
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    DD it is awful but I am afraid I smiled too when I read the headline .

My mind also saw a shark in top hat and tail :oops: :lol:

juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it does make you wonder how some of them get there jobs or keep them if they ever get famous it will come back to haunt them val
    val
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Ooh , naughty , DD ! Sadly made me smile too ; it's like the old headline - he was injured in the falls road area - ouch , painful ! Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There was another one tonight: again it's Radio 5live and it was a heartbreaking item about a bloke of 46 who wishes to die but cannot get anyone to help him do so, so he has to go to Dignitas. He was a very active kind of man but had a massive brain stem stroke which has left him even more helpless (in some ways) than a newborn - but being an adult he knows exactly the state of play. What did the 'journalist' say?

'We cannot reveal his true name but we are calling him Martin for legal reasons.'

NO. 'We cannot reveal his true name for legal reasons, so we are callling him Martin.'

I am peeved.

And as for 'Martin', well, I listened to the interview that was done (via his speech machine) and even my steely heart broke. Luckily I was chopping onions at the time and blamed the tears on that. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben