Does this sound like arthritis?

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 31. Aug 2011, 07:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,

I've suffered from tendonitis aka tennis elbow on both sides for over a year now. It comes in flares and I've had some physio for it. I used to get swelling around the elbow and it was quite clearly not an actual elbow issue. However, in the past few months, I've started to get pain in the actual elbow (right and left). The swelling seems closer to the elbow joint. I am struggling to fully extend my left below and the pain feels deep in the joints. The other one isn't as bad right now.

To me, it seems like a joint problem. I'm wondering what you lovely people think. Obviously I know this forum isn't a substitute for medical advice but as it's a bank holiday, I'm curious.

Thank you,
Sophie x

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sophie,
    I get swelling, stiffness and pain extending my arm in my left elbow when I flare with PA.
    I've had a steroid injection into the elbow in the past which helped. Obviously I'm no medical expert but, your elbow symptoms do sound familiar to mine and that's purely the arthritis.
    Can you call your Rheumatology dept tomorrow? perhaps they could see you as an emergency with the nurse or something, I know how painful it is and you should get it checked out.
    Nice to see you Sophie, sending love and hugs (((((()))))) Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think my PA is flaring as both elbows hurt but are not swollen. (My hands are hurting too and I feel rough). This sounds like a joint thing to me but it's best to see a doctor or perhaps a rheumatology nurse to check things out. I hope it eases soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I have had an artritis flare which included my elbows, very painful!! It does sounds as though that is what you are experiencing. I hope it gets better or you can get in to see the rheumy.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I have problems with my elbow, similar to what others have said..Be worth mentioning to GP/Rheumy for further investigation..
    Let us know how you get on..Hope you feel bit better soon..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,431
    Options
    Best get it checked out Starburst :sad:

I take it you are taking your normal athritis meds?? Worth trying heat and cold too to see which if any ease it???

Love

toni xx
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I have physio this afternoon so I'll ask her to have a peek. If it lasts more than a few days, I'll give rheumy nurse a buzz. I've a found a hot bath followed by ice packs is actually really soothing. Plus it's a good excuse to relax and have a bubble bath. :grin:
  • Starburst
    Options
    The verdict is......inflammed elbow joint.

On the positive side, my phyiso feels my range of movement is good. I don't know if it's worth giving it a few weeks for increased dose of sulfa to kick in or to call the rheumy nurse. I'm wearing a tubi-grip and I will ice it later.

I walked the dog and I'm very tired now.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Overuse of the tendon that crosses the elbow joint, means it gets injured and has scar tissue which heals joined to the outer covering of the bone, thus shortening the length of the tendon. It is this that causes the pain and means you can't straighten your arm, if this is the problem. Tennis or golfers elbow depending on which side of the elbow.

A short op sorts it out by cutting the tendon away from where it has joined with other tissue, the arm is kept bent by a plaster cast till its healed, mine worked well but you have to be careful not to do it again.

Sounds like a visit to the surgery?