Pyrocarbon finger joint implant

Options
Fuschia
Fuschia Member Posts: 13
edited 3. Apr 2012, 12:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I'm new here and wondered if anyone has had this procedure.
I have osteoarthritis in my fingers and I am on the waiting list to have two joints replaced. Any information about life with pyrocarbon finger replacements would be great, thanks.

Fuschia :smile:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fuscia and welcome to the forum.

I'm a veteran of hip and knee replacements. No fingers (yet?) but I do know that finger joint replacements are nothing new (I know someone who had hers done about 35 years ago) so I would imagine they've got the op fairly perfected by now. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    please let us know how it goes mine changing shape so it only going to be a matter of time till have to go down that path good luck val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Fuschia,

Welcome to the forum and glad you have found it but sorry you have the arthritis.

One of our forum folk has just had a finger joint replaced and I a sure she will let you know about it when she pops in.

I really hope it will go well for you and get rid of a lot of pain. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • Fuschia
    Options
    Thank you for the replies :smile:
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Fushia,

You haven't got a date yet have you? I am sure someone will come along soon to help you but try not to worry too much and hope your ok in your self? Cris x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Fushia,

I had knuckle joint replacements about 10 years ago. Not quite the same but I assume they are the same sort of thing.
    I know of someone who had finger joints about 15 years ago and as far as I know they were very successful. The advantage of knuckle joints is I don't knock them anymore but that's it.
    I would love finger joints to starighten them but was told it's not possible as my fingers are too far gone and all my tendons are shot!#
    Basically they kleft it too late to do anything. If I knew then what I knew now I would have kicked up more of a fuss!
    I hope yours are successful.
    Good luck,
    Anita.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    [
    One of our forum folk has just had a finger joint replaced and I a sure she will let you know about it when she pops in.

Cris is right fuscia - she was not online yesterday, but will maybe be in sometimes today.

I wish you all the very best as well and if l were in your shoes would be saying it's worth a try

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hello Fuschia (love the name!) and welcome to the Forum. :grin:

I had a pyrocarbon replacement of the PIP (middle joint) of my left index finger in May this year. ..... and have absolutely no regrets at having it done. :!:

I was in hospital overnight ... but that was due to having wrist surgery at the same time.... 'normally' you have the surgery as a day patient and allowed home later the same day.

I had the 'dorsal' procedure...which meant the incision was on the upper part of the finger rather than underneath. I was in half slab plaster for a week... then half stitches out and the finger put into an orthotic removable splint, with an exercise splint also provided.

Physio started at the end of week (1) and followed a protocol, specifically designed for this new type implant, for a further 8 weeks... after which I was transferred to Hand Therapy, which I still attend.

The finger joint was completely pain free at Week 3 (and still is) :grin:
    In terms of movement, I've found it slow going, :???: but that's because the tissues and tendon around the joint were also affected by the arthritis thus restricting the new joint!...and I am still improving :wink:

I've posted you this link to the Protocol which was followed for the implant which I hope you'll find helpful.
    http://www.ascensionortho.com/Assets/PDF/PyroCarbonPIP/PyroPIP_DorsalTherapy-RevE_1010.pdf

Good luck with your op..... it is definitely worth having done.and I am very happy with my new joint :grin:

I'm not sure if I've answered all that you'd like to know... so please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer. :wink:

Iris xxx
  • Fuschia
    Options
    Hi Dorcas and thanks for the really interesting reply (thanks too to everyone else :grin: )
    I'm glad your new joint is working for you. The plastic surgeon is doing the operation and she has a good level of success, so I'm told. The 'plastic' physio (sounds alright!) will be working with me after the op to get me moving again.
    Could you tell me when you could use your hand normally again and if you have had to be careful about dislocation.
    Also, will you be having any other fingers done at a later date?
    I wish you continued improvement with your new finger :grin:

Fushia x
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hello again Fuschia :grin:

It sounds as though you have a good team behind you with a good track record of success with this implant. :wink: That hasto be a consideration!

I did have to be careful about dislocation until the wound healed and I no longer needed to wear the 'resting' splint.... so about 8weeks. Although I do still watch not to put the joint under too much pressure and definitely avoid things like trying to open the top of a bottle where you have to apply a twisting motion. :!:

I was able to use the hand normally pretty quickly... at first keeping the finger with the replacement joint out of the way while I used that hand ... but I was told that it was important to incorporate the new finger joint in daily activities.. so from about week 6, I had the index finger strapped to the middle finger so that it would move with support and become usable. The physio called that 'buddying up'.
    It certainly did help but as I said before, my new finger joint is still 'a work in progress' as the tissues surrounding the joint are affected by arthritis which limits the new joint's movement.

It's amazing really what the orthos can do... to look at my finger now all that anyone would notice is the scar... other than that it's not obvious that there's a replacement joint in there!
    I've also had a total wrist replacement and a wrist fusion which again I've had good results from and with no more pain in those joints; so from my experience ortho surgery has been a real success :grin:

I'll definitely have more finger joint surgery to correct the 'Boutonniere's Deformity' which I have in 4 other fingers... but I'm having knee replacements done first as they are more urgent. :wink:

Nice to chat to you Fuschia :grin: do you have a date for your surgery?

Iris xxx
  • Fuschia
    Options
    Gosh, you have been through the mill Iris! I'm fortunate that I only have osteoarthritis in my fingers, but my son has had RA since he was 11 or so and has had various ortho procedures including a wrist fusion.
    Good luck with your knee replacements. They won't do my son yet as they say he is too young at 26 :roll:
    I don't have a date for my op yet, but hopefully before Christmas :grin:

Fuschia x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Fuchsia, and welcome to the forum, and I just wanted to wish you well with your forthcoming operation.

I am sorry to read your son has RA and from such an early age too.
    Let us know how you get on,
    Lv, I x
  • Fuschia
    Options
    Thank you, will do :smile:
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Fuschia :grin:

Hope you don't have to wait too long before getting your op. :wink:

I'm so sorry to hear that your son has had to cope with having RA from such an early age. :roll: and had to have surgery too.....I hope that the RA is at least under control?
    There is a Young People's Forum here that he might like to have a look at and a Parents Forum too.....

As Ironic said.. please let us know when you get word of an op date. Folks on the Forum are really supportive when other members are going through ops.... and it really does help!
    Hope to see you posting more around the forum... :wink:

Iris xxx
  • Fuschia
    Options
    hello, i hope no one minds me bringing this thread back from last year!
    just an update to say that i had the op done on friday, and both fingers seem ok. still in pain, but getting better. had the plaster cast off today and my first physio session.
    sorry about the typing, but i'm doing it with my left hand :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hey, that's great news, Fuschia. Of course we don't mind. Good news is always welcome. Thanks very much for letting us know and I hope you go from strength to strength.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Fuschia,

Well done for having it done and hope you make a quick and good recovery. Hang in there and it will soon be all mended. Cris xx