kindles

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 6. Mar 2012, 17:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have noticed that quite a few of us have got kindles,do you buy books?or are you like me go thru the free ones,have just read "children of the new forest" which was my favourite as a child,They have lots of trashy novels on ,which i find ideal when you cant consentrate too well when you are in pain.Mig :roll:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't bought a book for a while since the advent of my Kindle. As the K is so much easier to hold and manage I think books have (for the time being) gone out the window. Mine is stuffed with classic novels (usually free), stuff I wouldn't normally buy (also free) and stuff I have paid for and love. I'm discovering Stella Gibbons (although she is bl**dy expensive on K!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    My OH has one....must say there are some good free ones on there..I think he has bought two since Christmas....not sure what they are he wont let me near it...I use the kindle on my laptop...it was free and so are the books I read...apart from our very own Rondettos book...its very cheap and a brilliant read.
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,441
    Options
    Hi Mig

l do buy books for my kindle :D

They are such bargains even if they aren't free. I bought 6 or 6 for my holidays last year and it was brilliant :)

Barbara l have read Ron's book too. :D

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    The war office has one but it's not much use to me as all the books I read are fringe so I can't see them being transferd into an e book I do have a shed load of books though I guess I have over 70 up in the PC room, as for e books I can't see them stocking books on Hydrogen bomb testing at Bikin Atoll or 101 things to do with a radio controlled glider?. :lol:
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Anyone thinking of buying one might be better to hold on for a few months because the Kindle Fire is coming out here. It's been on sale in the U.S.A for months now, and they are giving it good reports, and it's a good price, Alanthemanc.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    just been on the kindle shop but didn't down load a book today.
    I look at the free books but I also buy them too.
    I love my kindle

Juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    love mine i down load maily free books but do pay for some i have increased the size of the print which is a god send at moment as eyes playing up and boys say will stop me collecting so many books around the house as i hate to let any go as always read them more than once lol
    val
  • bounce
    bounce Member Posts: 106
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting a Kindle because I have so much trouble holding a book open with my hands nowadays

Are the Kindles easy to use and downloading books easy too????

Im not very practical when it comes to techy things, so would you reccommend them and if so which is the best one to buy???

I am a bookworm so it would have to hold quite a few books for me.

Jules
    Thanks in advance for your help
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    mine holds about 1400 and it so easy to use just turn wireless on got to store type in what type of book you want lots are free and click buy it there before you get back to home page so easy and you can change size of print it great mine quite basic i think boys got it for me for christmas best ever present often buy books at 1 in morning lol
    val
  • bounce
    Options
    Thanks for that Valval, it sounds really easy to use, and I have a birthday coming up in a couple of months, might be a good idea to start hinting rather heavily for one. :D

Thanks for the information, it sounds pretty cool to me.

Jules
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My lovely husband bought mine for my Christmas present. I went for the newer version, I think it's the six inch, it cost £89. It has a keyboard but that is 'hidden' on the screen - press the right button and it appears! Press that button again and it goes. The page turning is very easy, it weighs next to nothing, holds a huge amount of material and is an absolute boon. I also have a separate light that clips onto its case (which I bought) so I can read when himself is sleeping and I don't disturb him. The wi-fi bit means that downloading a book is so, so easy - and you can also have a sample sent to your K so you can try before you buy.

Mine came with a charger that plugs into the computer but I also bought a separate mains charger as I find that more convenient. The battery life is very good as is the ability to enlarge (or reduce) the print. I would not be without mine now as my hands are becoming more and more affected. It's an absolute boon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bounce
    Options
    Thanks DD for all of that information, it sounds perfect for me, and I am definately dropping very heavy hints to my brother and sister for one. I have always loved reading, all kinds of books, and lately it is getting harder and harder to be able to hold the book for more then 10 minutes, as you would know its such a nuisance to hold open.

Well I was asked what I wanted for my birthday so now I can send them both a link to it on amazon, even though my sister has bought me a concert ticket to see Morten Harket in concert in London in may.

Do the pleading doggy eyes at the pair of them and hopefully they will take pity on me and get me a kindle.

Well I can tell them I need one because of my hands and my age, as I will be officially half a century old in 2 months. :lol:

So fingers crossed, well somebody else can do the crossing fingers for me as I cant manage that at the moment. :P

Thankyou once again for all your help, I appreciate it.

Jules
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mig,

Got one a coupls of weeks ag and I CAN ACTUALLY READ IT :D:D:D

The eyes are so iffy now I struggle to read books but I do I still do buy them :lol:

I buy the kindle books as well as the freebies an well it has really changed my life :D Cris xx