Up date on pain clinic

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 30. May 2012, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
morning all just thought i would update you on my pain clinic first appointment , he is very aware there is pain in my knee from the replacement , but also from my back , he is going to issue a tens machine by the sound of what he was saying we need to try and eliminate wheather the back is causing more knee pain or maybe the other way round at least he didnt try saying its all in my head , have had that from family member who knows somebody that has had a tkr and are back to normal lucky for some , :roll:
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Glad they are doing something now.
    I had a THR and was told about all the people living new lives etc, recovered in no time etc {by close friendsand family}......me!!!! it didnt work and 2 yrs later I'm as bad if not worse. I've just had an MRI on my back to check if the pain is coming from my hips or my back.
    Its nice when they believe you and try to do something isnt it?
    Good Luck
    Hileena
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thank you Hileena i wish you luck with yours to , i do class my self as one of the unlucky ones , and i know there are lots of people out there that things have gone perfect for , so for anybody out there looking in yes they can work and work well , but some times things dont , but please dont be put of by the bad ones it might just be whats best for you x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    He listened bertyboy, and that is a good thing. He is taking you seriously and trying to help, another good thing. I hope the TENs does make a difference or at least will help to discover the source of the pain. As for the ridiculous relative - hopefully they will trip into a cow pat on their next country ramble. :wink: Good luck with the TENs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

I am pleased your pain clinic went well and I hope the tens machine helps :)

take care
    Love Julie PF x
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
    I had my TKR in March 2010 and I am still in so much pain, I have had my consultant say 'it can't hurt, its a metal joint" well it does!

I use a wheelchair when out and about because i can't walk very far because of pain and now my right knee has gone as it takes the strain. I fell out the car jan 2011 and now have injured L5/S1 and so that is also a contributing factor.

Make yourself heard at your appointments, keep a pain diary with scores, location and type of pain and show them.

I have had a rough time with mine, they even offered to fuse the knee joint and so i told them that at 6' 4" tall, that would make it impossible to fit in the car, sit on the look and in general was the most stupid and thought less thing I had ever heard.

I hope you get it sorted, TKR can be amazing but it can also be the worst thing to happen

Zec
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    zechariah wrote:
    I had my TKR in March 2010 and I am still in so much pain, I have had my consultant say 'it can't hurt, its a metal joint" well it does!

Zec

That is what they used to tell my Mum. To my embarrasment so did her family :oops: That is until she got an infection in it and saw another consultant. He was horrified at the bad job that had been done on her knee. He said that the doctor that did it shouldn't be allowed to do any more.
    They offered her another operation, but by then she had so many other problems and was in a wheelchair anyway so she declined.
    It always looked as if they had used a knee too big for her leg, either that or it was constantly swollen.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,433
    Options
    Hi May

I am so pleased you were heard there and they are going to try to help you :)

Please don't forget to let us know how it goes.

Love and hugs

Toni xxx
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy and Zec (and all)

I had a total knee replacement 5 years ago next month,... its been awful pain ever since and have done physio, hydrotherapy, so many different medications I have always thought the Drs etc didnt believe me, they did 1 arthroscopy 12 weeks after the op saw nothing wrong, have had xrays still showed nothing, had a body/bone scan and guess what??? yep still nothing, now its classed as 'complex regional pain syndrome' i have nerve damage which is also a different pain its felt nearer the surface but generally its within the knee, i have days where its really painful climbing stairs or even walking the dog, I have been so depressed because of the 'failed' replacement,they say there is no reason for the pain.... when i had the bone scan it didnt show any problems, but did see early degenerative arthritis in both hips, i am feeling it in just the right, also the right knee is acting up...

before the pre arthroscopy they gave me an MRI scan saw nothing, went for the arthroscopy and found it bone on bone and Dr said it was a wonder i could walk...
    its really depressing as you are made to feel its 'in your head' and send u off feeling worse then before.....

i do know when i had my TKR in the june (2007) there were articles in the news saying that there was a batch of fauly 'new knees' put this to the dr and he just pushed away.. will see if i can find it, cant find it sorry.....

sitting here now with pain in my knee and hip....but sun is shining which makes my mood lift xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm glad the clinic went well, bertyboy, and I do hope the TENS machine can help. I'd regard it as a major help if it could just determine the source of your pain as dealing with that, whichever it is, will surely help the other. Please keep us updated.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright