4 weeks post op news

Options
frogmella
frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
edited 28. Mar 2013, 06:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi!
I saw my lovely surgeon today for my follow up appointment and things are great! He is such a perfectionist - he showed me the x-rays taken during surgery and told me that the screw alignment was "textbook" because in the x-ray taken from the side you can only see 2 screws even though there are 4 and that is because they exactly line up. I asked him if it made him happy when it goes like that and he joked that he ran around the operating theatre high-fiving everyone when it does!
Anyway, the good news is that I can start driving as of now and can go back to the pool next week. I have to just walk widths for two weeks and can then start swimming. Should be on course to go back to work at the end of May.
So, so far I am very pleased with how things have turned out and glad that I made myself go through with it. A tough decision but it may well mean I have my life back.
Thank you for all the support on here. It has made a massive difference.

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh that is good news, I'm so pleased things are going well for you. I hope they continue to do so.
    Enjoy your return to driving and swimming :D
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Great news ,that's two lots of good news today.hugs(((())))Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That's great Frogmella, sounds as if the surgeon has done a great job, good you will be able to drive giving you more independence, you will feel even better within yourself once you are able to swim properly, keeping fingers crossed that it continues to be good news ..........tc..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    great news, enjoy your swiming.
    Barry.
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    That's great news, enjoy x
    Eileen
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Wow! It's amazing how a good surgeon and a good patient can work together to create a great outcome! Well done all round and enjoy driving and pool walking. It sounds like you are doing swimmingly :lol: love LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmella
    Options
    Thanks folks! LV - what a pun!

It's funny -in hospital the surgeon told me that the physios were "fierce" but I didn't think they were and when I told that to the physio she said it was because I was a good patient! What a nice compliment! Although she did then say that some spinal fusion patients won't even get out of bed because it "hurts"! Well how do they think they will get better?? I knew that the only way I was getting out of that place was walking so there was no choice surely? And now I just want to be better - it's not going to happen by magic, unfortunately, I have to do it myself!

It really is onwards and upwards now. Today I am going to take my self to the shop in the nearest village! Yay!!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I am so pleased for you, and how lovely to have such a good surgeon..if only they were all like this we wouldn't worry..you enjoy your swimming xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    it's so lovely to read some good news on here - well done to you, well done to the surgeon and I am very pleased for you. Good luck with the driving, be sensible in the pool and welcome to a much better world for Frogmella! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmella
    Options
    Yes, Barbara - I wish they were all like this. I do love him!

DD - I hope you are feeling a little brighter, been worrying for you. Thank you for your good wishes.
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I think physios adore willing patients who understand their own role in their own recovery and are brave enough to do what's needed...sounds like you're one of them. I guess it's like you and willing students who want to learn and don't mind working hard! Keep going Mrs Inspiration xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmella
    Options
    I will keep going, and thanks for my new title!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Great news Frogmella, I'm so pleased everything went textbook well! Bet you can't wait to get back in the pool, I guess that's where the 'frog' came into your name because you love swimming! Bet you do the breast stroke!! :lol:
  • frogmella
    Options
    Well, you might think so bubba but Frogmella was one of my original hens and she was named after wayne and waynetta slob's baby! I swim front crawl because breaststroke hurts my back and I did my knees in doing too much of it when I was younger! So a good guess but not quite! :lol:

You are right though, I can't wait to get in the pool next Tuesday!!!