Psoriatic Arthritis is driving me NUTS!

Options
hmo
hmo Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Apr 2013, 00:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello there - I'm new to this forum, and was googling to try and get help for an irritating swollen finger, and happened across this forum. I'm properly fed up as my finger has been swollen for six months now, and isn't going down despite a steroid injection. I'm also on Sulphasalazine and Naproxen for the swelling (for all the good it does, which I think is none) and I'm getting to the end of my rope as NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK!! AAARRRGGH!

My Rheumatology nurse is now suggesting I consider switching to Methotrexate (sp?), although is warning that it'll take around 3 months before I start seeing any effects, and if I accidentally get pregnant on this (I'm in my early 30s) I'll end up having a kid with 3 eyes or similar.

I'm so frustrated with this. Yes, I've managed to score some pretty decent painkillers which helps (Cocodamol 30/500), but if I take anything stronger it'll turn me into a space cadet, and I'd really rather the swelling went down so I didn't have to keep taking strong painkillers. The swelling is continuing - I didn't think my index finger could get any bigger but it's continually proving me wrong - and now it looks almost bruised and bluish under the knuckles.

I'm going crazy - has anyone else been through something similar, and has any advice? Please help, I feel like I'm going mad

Comments

• lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    iv got enteropathic arthritis which affects several joints, i cant walk or use my hands so i appreciate how hard it is when you cant use your hand.
    im on methotrexate, it isnt that great. it helps for a few months and then wears off again. i couldnt take sulfasalazine. hot wax baths are meant to help fingers.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello hmo. It’s nice to meet you. Mine is RA, not PsA, but the meds are more or less the same.

I guess most of us with an auto-immune version of arthritis have been in the same situation at times. It’s painful, annoying and frustrating.

Steroid injections work for some but not others. There’s no way of telling in advance whether or not they’ll work for you.

You’ve hit the nail on the head with the pain meds. It’s always a matter of getting the balance right between reducing the pain to a tolerable level versus being comatose. That’s why many of us call them paindullers rather than painkillers.

Obviously, the sulph alone isn’t controlling your disease. It’s true, though, that methotrexate isn’t prescribed when people are trying for a baby as it could harm the foetus. Maybe another chat with your rheumatology nurse?

Meanwhile, you could try the physical stuff like bathing it in hot then cold water alternately. It might give a bit of temporary relief.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I have PsA and your story is very familiar. I have lots of swollen joints and I am on Sulphasalazine. I also take Diclofenac and paracetamol/ co-coda mol for pain. I was on a fairly high dose of Methotrexate but it made me feel terrible so I came off it and now I am back to more pain and the incredible exhaustion.
    I hate all of the drugs but off to see the Rheumy tomorrow as I need something to help me carry on working. I too get very frustrated and often quite down about it all. I am a sports coach and teacher and I can hardly walk from my car to my office sometimes - not great when you work at a football club!
    They tell me that they will sort me out eventually and I am only a year and a half into this journey. Many other people on here will tell you this is a long game and I guess we all have to keep the faith.
  • hmo
    hmo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your messages ... in a way it's comforting to hear that I'm not alone with this, but still frustrating to deal with. I'll try the hot/cold water thing and keep going with the painkillers/dullers until I can figure something out with my rheumatologist.

It's so frustrating though, knowing that any alternative ways to treat it aren't going to work straight away, and don't come with any guarantees either way. I hate having to deal with constant pain, and not being in control of my own body, despite exercising/eating well/giving up smoking/drinking etc. I suppose if there were a magic answer though, none of us would be in this boat. sigh ...

thanks though, I do appreciate your advice and support xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, you are going through a rough time and I am sorry. Who determined this was / is PsA? It also affects me (but my halcyon days of one affected joint have long gone). I wish you well and I hope the forum can help with information and support. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry ure in so much pain & so frustrated.

I have PsA, Chronic Plaque Psoriasis, OA & Fibromyalgia. I didn't get on well with sulfasalazine, shows how different we all are eh.Lol Ive been on methotrexate for 6 years & it's been really helpful on the whole tho I'm struggling with repeated chest infections for a few months. If you thinking of having a baby in the near future then I'd defo steer clear but if not then I'd think about having the contraceptive implant, it lasts 3 yrs.

Do you have psoriasis too & does sulfa help it? Mtx definitely should give good improvement to it & the PsA.

Painkiller wise I didn't get on with cocos coz they'd space me out but not help the pain at all so I was put on tramadol slow release, I think tramadol is a bit like a synthetic codeine. With it being SR I've had no side effects from it which is fab :D I also take 1000mg paracetamol 3 x a day & anti inflammatories.

I hope you can get some help soon.

Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x